Author Topic: 12 volt long power run  (Read 592 times)

Offline mworley

• Kudos: 0
12 volt long power run
« on: August 07, 2017, 03:26:36 PM »
Hey all!

im new to the Christmas light scene but have been doing stage lighting (DMX) for a long time. That said I wish Xlights had a way to busk live because i would use it and falcon on stage!  Anyway i have a large building im going to be animating this year.  Im using 8500 pixels not counting the 4x8 matrix i plan to build. I ordered an f16v3, power supply and a string of pixels for a "proof of concept" and am almost ready to put in the big order. my question is about power.  i will need many power supplies (ill be injecting every 120 to 150 pixels) but how long can i make the run before the pixels? Mounting the enclosures on the building is a non starter for my boss so ideally they need to be on the ground but with the building being about 30 ft tall im worried that i will lose too much voltage to the cable run and i wont have the voltage my pixels need.

Offline Ebuechner

• Kudos: 6
Re: 12 volt long power run
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 03:48:13 PM »
To take the guessing out of the equation you can use a waterproof dc-to-dc 12v Buck converter. You can use a 24 volt power supply to make the run and then the buck converter right at the point that you need power, it will drop the voltage to your desired 12 volts right where you need it.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 84
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 05:14:05 PM »
Hey all!

im new to the Christmas light scene but have been doing stage lighting (DMX) for a long time. That said I wish Xlights had a way to busk live because i would use it and falcon on stage!  Anyway i have a large building im going to be animating this year.  Im using 8500 pixels not counting the 4x8 matrix i plan to build. I ordered an f16v3, power supply and a string of pixels for a "proof of concept" and am almost ready to put in the big order. my question is about power.  i will need many power supplies (ill be injecting every 120 to 150 pixels) but how long can i make the run before the pixels? Mounting the enclosures on the building is a non starter for my boss so ideally they need to be on the ground but with the building being about 30 ft tall im worried that i will lose too much voltage to the cable run and i wont have the voltage my pixels need.

You certainly don't need a new power supply at each injection point, though 8500 pixels is at least 12 of the common 30amp supplies.

Offline Babybear

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 08:33:49 PM »
Lets look at my tree.  3600 lights. each strip is 150 nodes. I only inject at the bottom only. So my injection is every 300 lights. I'm only using one power supply that's 35 feet away. 50 amp unit. I do have 6 cables running from the F16v2, 14gauge at 35 feet. each cable is feeding 600 nodes. I'm only running at 50% as you can't tell the difference in brightness. I do have an amp gauge on it and it peaks out at 21 amps on pure white. All the listings say I should be hitting 90+ amps.  One has to remember that when injecting in the middle, power will run in both directions. Now I do have an issue when on pure white if my voltage is over 11.00 ( I keep mine at 10.80) the lights flicker. Not sure if its something with the lights or the 14gauge wire Power/data together.  When it comes to power injecting don't over think it.  What you really need to look at is the data runs. the thicker the wire the shorter the run. 14gauge data 35 to 40 feet. I have tried cat 5 and hit 60 feet no issue.  Other thing length between nodes maybe 10 feet then you need to add null node to help refresh the data   I inject all my models no matter what size they are.

my tree last week      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFU9GZeokls&t=12s
  X-mas in july
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 08:50:05 PM by Babybear »
JimmyG
Rochester, New York

Offline mworley

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 07:44:22 AM »
thanks guys! not use to dealing with DC. one more question. does anyone have the exact size of the f16 mounting plate? I love the tool box ideas and will likely use them for my personal stuff but for this project i will have to use bud enclosures and need to know which one fits best.

Thanks!

Offline jeff

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 11:21:05 PM »
The F16v3 is 7.2"W x 4.7"H
The F16v2 is 7"W x 4.9"H

Not sure which mounting plate you're using. Most I've seen will fit into a CableGuard CG1500 along with one power supply.

Offline mworley

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 02:12:19 PM »
for the v3 thanks!!