Author Topic: Funny Looking Text  (Read 608 times)

Offline covewi

• Kudos: 0
Funny Looking Text
« on: August 07, 2017, 04:14:03 PM »
I've been posting another Christmas light forum and received a great deal of help with setting up my 5 X 6 P10 matrix. I am running RaspPi, Ron's Pi Matrix board, ver 1.8 of FPP and one 5 v PS.

I am outputting 10 panels per output on the Pi board.

When running single colors or effects from xLights everything looks pretty good - but running text alone (without a background color or effect) the text is misaligned or pixels appear to "bleed"

I have tried two different Pi output boards, re-installed FPP several times, switched panel interconnect cables around, exchanged panels,changed outputs 1,2, 3 around - the problem still exists.

Check out the video and let me know what you think.

https://youtu.be/No6P-wHoCzU

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 14
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
Re: Funny Looking Text
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 04:23:45 PM »
You may be pushing the single 5V power supply to the limit once you get brighter stuff on the screen as they can use around 2A per panel. That's not a problem yet though I expect. Are you currently running as bridge mode or as a master? If running in bridge mode then data throughput rate is likely going to be an issue when sending 90 universes of data. If it's not a Pi3 that you're using then you are likely to have processing issues with that amount of data.
You can call me AAH, you can call me Al, or you can call me Alan.
http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/wp-content/uploads/Catalogue.pdf Catalogue of my blinky bits
http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 77
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 05:06:01 PM »
There have been some P10 updates in the v1.9 series.

Is there a specific reason you haven't updated?

(you can go back to v1.8 if it doesn't fix it)

Offline covewi

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 05:25:14 PM »
JohB256 - no particular reason for 1.8 - when I update to 1.9 the audio driver does not load. So I backed off till I can figure out the matrix.

AAH - whats really weird is that if I run a single panel the text looks fine - as soon as a second, third, etc panels are added the text problems show up.
Iam running FPP as a Standalone. Should I be using something else?

What is a bridge mode?
Is the reason the "bleeding" pixels don't show up with a background running is that the background is using the pixels that are 'bleeding"?

Thanks so much for the help. I have the frame built the plexiglas ordered and missed a 4th of July display.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 77
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 06:28:13 PM »
JohB256 - no particular reason for 1.8 - when I update to 1.9 the audio driver does not load. So I backed off till I can figure out the matrix.

Thanks so much for the help. I have the frame built the plexiglas ordered and missed a 4th of July display.

With a P10 matrix board attached and enabled (LED Panels checked), sound is disabled after the forced reboot.
The GPIO ports used for sound are busy with P10 data.
Are you saying it does work in v1.8 ??   It didn't back when I used it.

Offline covewi

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 08:08:23 PM »
I don't really know if the sound played while the Pi was hooked up to the panels. I just know that audio played when not hooked up.
So do I have to go with a USB audio adapter?

Thanks.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 38
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 08:55:01 PM »
You should update to 1.9 if for nothing else that you get to change the panel brightness right in the user setup.  If it is too bright that may also make it look like it is bleeding over.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 14
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 12:31:50 AM »
Bridge mode is for when you are sending data to the Pi/FPP from a sequencer like Xlights rather than playing back the data from the usb attached to it. A slow usb may cause playback issues if it can't get the data off it fast enough.

As the hardware for the P10 panels is shared across what is used for the audio it is necessary to use usb audio if you need audio playback.

Offline covewi

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 11:44:54 AM »
Would text from a USB drive be more or less difficult for the PI to run?
If you think that data transfer might be an issue - how do I run the sequence directly from my laptop?

I am not doing any sort of universe setup in xLights and only setting up the P10 panel  orientation in FPP - is that correct?

Offline covewi

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 07:56:10 PM »
I have updated to ver 1.9 and the problem still exists. i was sent a few panels from another board member and those panels worked.

It appears there are many scan rate / refresh panel issues surfacing and running a BBB and Octo appears to solve the problem.
Any input to get my panels working with my Pi and Rons Matrix board?

Offline Wichita

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 12:39:11 PM »
I am having the same text problem with my new P10 panels.  I just received them in July from CFOL and using Rons adapter.  I have seen a lot of post about it being something to do with the new P10 design but no answers.  If anyone has any ideas please let me know.  I really don't want to have to find an ocotoscroller and a beagle bone this late in the season.

Offline Sawdust

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 12:45:55 PM »
I have updated to ver 1.9 and the problem still exists. i was sent a few panels from another board member and those panels worked.

It appears there are many scan rate / refresh panel issues surfacing and running a BBB and Octo appears to solve the problem.

I think I found Covewi's P10 issue.....I think it's the Pi 3

Looking at this problem, again, I think I found the issue. With the Pi 3 attached to Ron's Matrix, I get noise around the TEXT.  If I change just the Pi to a 2B, Zero or Zero W, I have no noise.
This is typical for 2 recently new P3's

This is repeatable too.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 01:58:39 PM by Sawdust »

Offline Wichita

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 01:17:02 PM »
Sorry I totally forgot that there was 2 postings on this subject.  I found my fix from this post

http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,7423.msg73162.html#msg73162

I followed the recommendation line for line and it worked for me

Offline rmp2917

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 03:13:04 PM »

I think I found Covewi's P10 issue.....I think it's the Pi 3

Looking at this problem, again, I think I found the issue. With the Pi 3 attached to Ron's Matrix, I get noise around the TEXT.  If I change just the Pi to a 2B, Zero or Zero W, I have no noise.
This is typical for 2 recently new P3's

This is repeatable too.

The problem is both with the Pi3 and the panels. Some panels seem to be more sensitive than others for whatever reason. But the main issue appears to be that the Pi3 is faster and sends the data faster than the panels can handle. Slowing down the GPIO update rate seems to fix the problem. You can find instructions on how to do that here: http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,7423.msg73042.html#msg73042.

I am trying to see if I can get these changes added to the LED panel settings page to make it easier to adjust the values without having to make any code changes.

Offline Sawdust

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 03:29:06 PM »
I saw that thread, but for those that are not code savvy, and can't wait for the update; replacing the Pi would be their solution.  For small tune to: assemblies, I recommend the Pi Zero W.  Get a USB to Micro USB adapter and use your existing Pi 3's SD & USB Drive.  $10 (plus ship) fix it now.