Author Topic: Best PSU/enclosure brands?  (Read 265 times)

Offline rickswa

• Kudos: 0
Best PSU/enclosure brands?
« on: August 12, 2017, 06:06:25 PM »
im working on some driveway arches and while I'm still confused if I totally get the power injection setup correctly (waiting for replies in a different thread) I know I'll be needing at least one extra power supply. Just curious what the preffered brand(s) are. Also, is a weatherproof one any better than a standard one in a good enclosure? On that note, any favorite enclosures? And just to make sure I'm not confusing myself any more than I already am, it doesn't harm anything if you have a higher wattage PSU than you actually need, right? I'm pretty sure I know that answer is that the wattage is just a measure of what the PSU can put out so if you get a high wattage PSU and just demand a fraction of that, it won't harm anything but is a little wasteful. Just trying to make sure. This whole power injection thing has me thinking I got it one minute and totally confused the next. But, as I said I'm working on that one with a lot of good help in a different thread so far.   

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 14
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
Re: Best PSU/enclosure brands?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 07:37:39 PM »
  Meanwell make about the best power supplies and there's various reliability levels that they offer which affects their price which is already well above the typical power supply price from Ray Wu, Paul Zhang, Scottled etc. You can get waterproof supplies which mean they don't have to be enclosed inside the enclosure. They tend to be lower wattages than most of the brick style power supplies and they are also 10% or more dearer which overall isn't that great an expense. If using a waterproof supply outside of your enclosure then you don't need to worry about venting air to the outside world and keeping it waterproof still.
  You can happily run with higher wattage supplies than what you need. I run with a bucketload of 350 and 400W supplies and most of them are being used at less than 1/2 the required power.
You can call me AAH, you can call me Al, or you can call me Alan.
http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/wp-content/uploads/Catalogue.pdf Catalogue of my blinky bits
http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/