Author Topic: New BBB Image - Debian Stretch (9.1)  (Read 793 times)

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 8
Re: New BBB Image - Debian Stretch (9.1)
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2017, 02:20:34 PM »

Can you connect via a USB cable (not ethernet) and see if the wifi comes up?   

I don't believe connman will bring up the wifi if ethernet is connected.   Looking at the "connmanctrl services" output, it looks like it's got a wired connection.   

Dan Kulp

Offline budude

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2017, 05:55:23 PM »
1/4 scan support - - sweet! Hoping I can latch onto an octoscroller board now!

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2017, 08:39:34 AM »
So I use the USB connection but the 192.168.7.2 address never come alive, can't ping it or go to the browser on that machine the usb cable is connected to.  I know I was messing with stuff so I'm going to reload the image on it and will try with the usb again.

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2017, 09:57:36 AM »
Ok did a reload of the image and connected via usb.  Doing connmanctl now gives the same thing minus now it doesn't show the Ethernet, so nothing is listed after services

Offline dkulp

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2017, 10:20:49 AM »

Not really sure what to suggest.   I just tried with a 5370 based card and it came right up.   An "lsmod" lists the various "rt2800*" modules, a "cat /var/lib/connman/fpp.config" command lists all the appropriate connection details.   "connmanctl services" lists the various access points it find.   It just seems to work.    I suppose you could try a "connmanctl enable wifi", but it should already be enabled.    Actually, you could try going into /var/lib/connman and doing an "rm -rf *" and seeing if that completely resets things.    You may need to do a connmanctl enable wifi again as that would be in the settings that is there.

That all said, while purchasing the 5370 card, I also found:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07487GQ7L/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and grabbed one.  In the area where I was only getting around ~100MB/s on the older edup based usb adapter, I get a full 300MB/s with that card and a great "Link Quality=99/100  Signal level=81/100  Noise level=0/100".     Definitely grabbing a couple more.  :)

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2017, 10:52:01 AM »
Yeah makes no sense because I see the same of the modules loaded and I see the settings in the fpp.config just now worky for me and that it worked in the older version of your image.

Ironic because that looks almost exactly like the ones I have.

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2017, 11:08:39 AM »
ok strange.  so for kicks I put an edimax adapter in and got nothing....was like huh.  See below of how it was actually disabled again.  Enabled and then the edimax connected, going to try the rt adapter again.

fpp@FPPTest:~$ connmanctl
Error getting VPN connections: The name net.connman.vpn was not provided by any connmanctl> scan wifi
Error /net/connman/technology/wifi: No carrier
connmanctl> enable wifi
Enabled wifi
connmanctl> scan wifi
Scan completed for wifi
connmanctl> services
*AR SPACEBALLS           
    CenturyLink3171     
    Ruddnet             
    Schmitt             
    crzylights           
    myqwest0456         
connmanctl>

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2017, 01:46:39 PM »
Man I wish I could figure out what is different (minus os version) but loaded your 20170814 image back on the BBB and the adapter works great.

Offline dkulp

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2017, 06:16:39 AM »

That all said, while purchasing the 5370 card, I also found:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07487GQ7L/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and grabbed one.  In the area where I was only getting around ~100MB/s on the older edup based usb adapter, I get a full 300MB/s with that card and a great "Link Quality=99/100  Signal level=81/100  Noise level=0/100".     Definitely grabbing a couple more.  :)

Well, I'm not getting more of these.   They seem to have some sort of power issue or something.   Overnight when the daily cron things run, it seems to drop connection.  No idea why.   Tried it on two different BBB's now and the same thing.   Great signal and speed, but drops overnight.   The edup's work perfectly.

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2017, 10:41:23 AM »
Old image mine is still going strong, almost a day no drop.

Offline gadgetsmith

• Kudos: 14
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2017, 07:08:51 AM »
I updated by BBG with this latest release.  A P5 panel (via octoscroller) seems to refresh much faster than the previous branch.  I'm going to go ahead with my plans to change my P10 sign to P5's this season based on this latest release.  Thank you for all your work on the BBB releases of the Falcon Player!  Cheers!

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2017, 01:07:20 PM »
I updated by BBG with this latest release.  A P5 panel (via octoscroller) seems to refresh much faster than the previous branch.  I'm going to go ahead with my plans to change my P10 sign to P5's this season based on this latest release.  Thank you for all your work on the BBB releases of the Falcon Player!  Cheers!

Interesting.

I was just getting ready to post that I do not see a difference with my P10 matrix using.  In particular, scrolling text still seems jerky as it moves across the screen (same as last year).  I thought this update had new code to make it smoother.  Is the update only for other panel formats or should P10 refresh be improved too? 
Vixen and xLights for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / DIY controllers for everything else

Offline dkulp

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2017, 01:18:33 PM »
I was just getting ready to post that I do not see a difference with my P10 matrix using.  In particular, scrolling text still seems jerky as it moves across the screen (same as last year).  I thought this update had new code to make it smoother.  Is the update only for other panel formats or should P10 refresh be improved too? 

All of the panel types should see significant improvements, particularly if using less than the full 8 panels per output (which now can be 12 per output).   If you are testing it, make sure you put an fseq locally onto the BBB and run the sequence.   Any large P## setup will have a TON of universes and it may be a network/processor limitation that could cause some stutter.   

Dan

Offline neilric99

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2017, 12:48:59 PM »
did I miss something.

no I didnt miss anything thing after all. I have now connected via ssh and working through why the wifi isn't working now

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 7392:7811 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]

Do I need to install extra drivers or does the image contain them already?

I have loaded the latest image and it is working, well except my edimax wifi. I go to  help and ssh and it fails to open the page. did something move? also ssh to the bbb fails as the usual fpp user and password is not working for me.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 01:10:51 PM by neilric99 »

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2017, 01:27:25 PM »
All of the panel types should see significant improvements, particularly if using less than the full 8 panels per output (which now can be 12 per output).   If you are testing it, make sure you put an fseq locally onto the BBB and run the sequence.   
I have a small matrix, 3 rows of 4 panels.  Each row is on its own output (4 panel chain per output).   Local fseq file is the only way I run it.   I see the "jerkiness" while running a scrolling text effect.  Butterfly seems smooth, but I think that was pretty smooth before too.   Maybe its the way scrolling text renders in xLights because I noticed its also jerky in the xLights preview window.