Author Topic: Why is this happening?  (Read 281 times)

Online pmiller

• Kudos: 0
Why is this happening?
« on: September 09, 2017, 09:01:31 PM »
I'm running a 4x4 P10 with Ron's Matrix adaptor. Up until tonight everything was going good. Occasionally I run the channel testing mode in FPP to make sure everything is good but tonight this issue started. Notice on the left side, 2nd and 4th row there's something not right. Any idea what might be causing this?
https://vimeo.com/233157544

Online pmiller

Re: Why is this happening?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 10:20:40 PM »
I did some testing. First I lowered the voltage from 5 volts down to 4.6 volts and it got worse. Then I raised the voltage to 5.35 volts and the issue sent away. My only concern is damaging either the Pi, Matrix adaptor or panels.

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 14
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 04:01:11 AM »
If the Pi is being run from the same power supply as the P10's then I absolutely wouldn't run it higher than about 5.1V

I did some testing. First I lowered the voltage from 5 volts down to 4.6 volts and it got worse. Then I raised the voltage to 5.35 volts and the issue sent away. My only concern is damaging either the Pi, Matrix adaptor or panels.
You can call me AAH, you can call me Al, or you can call me Alan.
http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/wp-content/uploads/Catalogue.pdf Catalogue of my blinky bits
http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/

Online pmiller

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 10:16:00 AM »
I did some checking and when the panel is on the voltage drops on each panel to 4.8 volts. So, my thinking is since the Pi is being supplied power from Ron's Matrix I'm going to add a buck converter so the Pi gets only 5 volts and then raise the voltage so the panels get the full 5 volts.

Online pmiller

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 11:12:23 AM »
Looks like issue solved. I used a buck converter to keep Pi and matrix at 5 volts. I raised the output voltage for the panels to 5.3 volts and when the panels are running the panel measures 5 volts. I also noticed that when playing GIFs I was getting random flickering and now that's gone. So far everything looks like it's working properly.

Offline David_AVD

• da-Share
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 02:46:48 PM »
If you're getting voltage drop to the panels, your cables are too long and/or not heavy enough.
da-share.com - the home of da_E131, da_DMX and other handy stuff