Author Topic: Experiencing delay on MultiSync remote  (Read 306 times)

Offline DPDigital

• Kudos: 0
Experiencing delay on MultiSync remote
« on: September 10, 2017, 01:58:48 AM »
I have added a second FPP to my display this year for the dedicated purpose of a projection in a window.  My primary FPP runs the light sequences as before, along with providing the audio to my FM transmitter.  It appears that I have successfully configured the second FPP in MultiSync mode as a remote and I have configured my primary FPP as a master.  After reading the other posts available on MultiSync mode, I have carefully coordinated my sequence files and file names to get things running in MultiSync mode.  Things appear to be working really well in starting/coordinating the sequences/mp3 audio/mp4 video files.  When they are up and running though, I have observed a slight delay is the video synchronization.  The video lags behind by about a second, perhaps a bit more.  I have also noticed that in the MultiSync screen on the master, the elapsed time on the remote lags behind as they tic away while playing the sequence. 

I edited the video file along with associated sound effects and associated mp3 audio file. (Thriller in this case)  I then rendered both an mp3 audio file and an mp4 video file from the edited content.  I used the mp3 audio file as the reference file in Vixen to build the light sequence.  Then I exported my Vixen sequence to a FPP file.

After synchronizing the master and remote in the MultiSync screen of the master, I used two scenarios for trying to synchronize the files:
1. upload FPP sequence file and mp3 audio file to the master, upload mp4 video file to remote.  Lights and audio are in perfect sync but video effects lag by a second or so.   
2. upload FPP sequence file to master and mp4 video file to both master and remote.  Video seems in sync but lights are out of sync and are delayed.

Any thoughts on what to try next?

I'm using Pinnacle Studio for the video editing/rendering.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 81
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: Experiencing delay on MultiSync remote
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 07:11:25 AM »
Close any open browser Windows you have for FPP status. That takes a lot of processor time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline DPDigital

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 06:19:25 PM »
I think that was a good tip, but it did not make any difference in the sync delay.

In trying to analyze the mp3 vs the mp4, it seems there is a 1 sec difference between the two files, at least according to the file properties.  As near as I can tell, it is only a small number of frames difference where several video frames are added to the beginning of the mp4 file at the rendering process.  I think I will try to trim the extra frames off the front end of the video file and re-upload it to the FPP.

Offline HeyRay2

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 04:13:05 PM »
I have the same issue, but my delay was around half a second (400-500ms). I first tried to correct this by only trimming that time off the beginning of the video which left the video slightly shorter than the audio and resulted in major issues with the video freezing and chugging on the remote pi due to many attempts to keep the audio and video in sync.

To correct this, I had to add a small amount of time to the end of the video so that the audio and video were once again identical in time and the delay seems to be resolved now.

This is a bit of a clunky way to solve this issue and if someone knows if there is some other way of resolving this delay I would welcome the input.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 05:56:53 PM by HeyRay2 »

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 81
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 07:01:38 AM »
The subject line is perfect so I won't start another thread.

I have a Master and currently 5 Remotes setup for pre-Halloween / Christmas testing.

I used the Sync command so they all had the correct files, then created a playlist for those FSEQ files.

While running that playlist, I noticed (on the Master's Multisync page) that one of them was way behind on timing and getting worse.

Turned out, that Remote is used to output E1.31 to four different TCP/IP addresses for F16v2 and v3 boards, none of which are connected (yet). That was bringing the remote to a crawl. Disabling E1.31 output fixed it for now. I'll have to remember to enable it later.

My point being - use the Multisync Page on the Master as a quick "health of the system" check. It displays the status of each remote and will show you if one or more are having problems. (turn on Auto Refresh to watch for slow systems but remember to turn it off - it creates a lot of unneeded traffic during actual showtime)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 07:25:58 AM by JonB256 »