Author Topic: F16v2 (blue) controller and white differential expansion  (Read 239 times)

Offline rando1957

• Kudos: 0
F16v2 (blue) controller and white differential expansion
« on: September 10, 2017, 03:19:10 PM »
Can the later differential expansion (white) be connected to the older F16v2 (blue) controller?  I was reading the V3 manual and it stated "Only the white PCB boards which match the F16v3 are recommended for
use with the F16v3. Use of previous expansion boards (red or blue in color with the F16v3 may result in damage to the controllers."

I wanted to make sure that the opposite was true.

P.S. great job on these manuals

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 10
Re: F16v2 (blue) controller and white differential expansion
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 07:57:17 PM »
Should be fine for ports 17-32 but no daisy chaining
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 08:03:36 PM by pixelpuppy »
Vixen and xLights for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / DIY controllers for everything else

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 81
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: F16v2 (blue) controller and white differential expansion
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 07:59:30 PM »
This may be "apples and oranges" but I have an old, old expansion board. One of the first batch made. It is not compatible with the newer boards.

UNLESS

It appears the difference between the new expansion boards and old have to do with Pin #4 being used as a designator line. I have a new F8B+ board and it uses the same Expansion board pinout as the new white boards. When I put my old expansion board and ribbon cable on it, it would not boot correctly and would not run FPP. The recommendation was to remove the metal pin for Pin #4 but instead I cut the 4th wire in the ribbon cable.

Now, my old expansion board works perfectly with the F8B+  (removing the Pin seemed like too permanent a method to test)