Author Topic: PiCap Universe Setup  (Read 488 times)

Offline Scottishsurfer

• Kudos: 0
PiCap Universe Setup
« on: September 10, 2017, 03:45:14 PM »
I love the piCap and it's working great, I was just wondering if I can access directly from Xlights, or how I correctly assign it to a Universe.

I configured my ws2811 pixels nodes using the OTHER tab : RPIWS281X

My question is, should I setup the Universe?  Does it make sense?  Or do I just leave the E131 Tab blank?

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 14
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
Re: PiCap Universe Setup
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 06:42:05 PM »
  What you've got there looks correct to me (I think). If you're not using that Pi Player to control another device then you can untick the "enable E1.31 output". It keeps and uses all that info but it doesn't send out packets out the Ethernet port.
  If you want to control that board from Xlights (or another Pi Player) you can put it into Bridge mode and it will then act as an E1.31 pixel controller.
You can call me AAH, you can call me Al, or you can call me Alan.
http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/wp-content/uploads/Catalogue.pdf Catalogue of my blinky bits
http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 41
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 07:02:34 AM »
The e1.31 tab must be setup so that communications can take place on the inbound side.  but you must not click the output box.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP

Offline jimmyc4511

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 08:19:13 PM »
Was wondering about the "Enable E1.31 output " box myself..I'm using a master with one remote with pi hat..and a few Falcon controllers...I shouldn't check the output box should I..?

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 07:53:20 AM »
If there is nothing connected to the ethernet port except for an incoming connection I would never click the output box.

Offline rjm12rjm12

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 09:27:16 AM »
Hi All,

I'm having trouble getting output to the pixels.  I have a Pi Model B+ v1.2 with a PiCap running version 1.9.  I have a 5v power supply powering the pixels and the Pi.  I have tried in both standalone mode and bridge mode to connect to xlights directly.  I'm not sure how to debug, I have checked wiring, I know the lights work fine with my F4V3.  Any ideas, I see data when I'm in bridge mode.  I have attached my setup, not sure what address if any to put in the E.131 setup.

Thanks,
Rob

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 10:23:31 AM »
The Pi cap only uses absolute addresses.  You have not told the Pi to listen to channels 1 thru 960 which is what you have the picap configured for.  I'm lazy and just put my total show channels in the e1.31 page.  I know that I need 64 universes of 512 to cover all my channels so that is what I put in every Pi.  Each Pi will only respond to the actual channels it is configured for.  You could just put in universes 1 and 2 at 512 which would give you channels 1 thru 1024.  Your choice.

Offline rjm12rjm12

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 08:06:54 PM »
Hi Jim,

Thanks, I broke my USB stick and had to get another one.  I have put FPP in stand alone mode and set the following settings.  I went to the test page, but cannot get lights to light.  I just picked up a Pi3, do you think that would make a difference?

Thanks,

Rob

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 11:02:52 AM »
Did you change the e1.31 config to include universe 1?

Offline rjm12rjm12

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 11:53:20 AM »
Hi Jim,Just a quick update on my status.  I tried a Pi3 and with some figuring out of setup I got mine to work.  I will try the Pi Model B+ v1.2 later and see if I can get things to work with that one also.  I did do a reinstall of the software also.
Thanks for your help,Rob