Author Topic: Lynx in conjunction with Falcon?  (Read 324 times)

Offline Penfold

• Kudos: 0
Lynx in conjunction with Falcon?
« on: September 11, 2017, 08:51:41 AM »
Hello all.

Unfortunately it appears that DIY Lightanimation has more or less died down significantly.  So, with that said I am looking to find a similar solution that DIYLA provided.  My question is, will I be able to use the DIYLA hardware in conjunction with Falcon?  For instance Dongle with Falcon power hub, or DIYLA Smart String controller to Falcon power hub? 

Does Falcon use the TM1804 & TM1809 chipset or does it use something else like WS2811? 

Does Falcon use 12V power injection or 5V mainly?

Is there a preferred vendor that Falconer's buy from for RGBs?

Sorry to throw so many questions out there.  If there is a thread or link to a Wikki that contains the majority of these questions please point me to them.

Mike   

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 12
Re: Lynx in conjunction with Falcon?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 09:33:59 AM »
1. Yes, you can use RJ's stuff along with Falcon.  I still do.  Yep, a dongle flashed for Pixelnet will run a Falcon Hub and a stock SSC.  There is Falcon software you can run for most DLA gear but not necessary. 
2. Falcon can run alot of different chipsets but the popular ones are those you mention. 
2. Can use either power but most still use 12v.  The 5v guys are a weird bunch  ;D
4. So many options for pixels and I don't think there is really a preferred vendor.  Personally, I prefer stateside guys like pixelsequencing.com. 

I think you need to get your post count up to 5 to gain access to the wiki and some other areas but yes there is info here.  Be sure and check out the Lynx/pixelnet area! 

Sam

Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 42
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 09:51:58 AM »
I also use SSCs and several other pixelnet devices.  I even use a Raspberry Pi with a $3 USB adapter to output pixelnet with the Pi running FPP as a remote.  Dave Pitts who started the Falcon stuff came from the pixelnet world at DIYLA until RJ banned him due to coming up with better firmware for the SSCs.  I would strongly suggest that you look at the Falcon SSC firmware.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP

Offline Penfold

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 10:31:41 AM »
Great information thank you soo much guys I will definitely be trying to get into the Wikki and all that deliciousness!

Thanks ;D

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 12
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 11:09:00 AM »
Have fun.  FYI the FPP (pi loaded with Falcon image) is basically a DLA Conductor on steroids.  A word of caution: the Falcon gear does not have the same limitations as DLA.  The Falcon gear is so flexible it's hard to really compare them.  It will take time to relearn.  For a guy coming from DLA I'd suggest looking at F16v1 to get your feet wet.  Basically the main difference is that programming occurs with the stuff hooked up not individually like DLA.  There's probably a better way to describe it tho...   ;D

Offline oj70chevy

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 10:28:14 AM »
I have been mia for the last 2 years and this is what i needed as well. thanks for the info.

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 42
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 12:36:02 AM »
Have fun.  FYI the FPP (pi loaded with Falcon image) is basically a DLA Conductor on steroids.  A word of caution: the Falcon gear does not have the same limitations as DLA.  The Falcon gear is so flexible it's hard to really compare them.  It will take time to relearn.  For a guy coming from DLA I'd suggest looking at F16v1 to get your feet wet.  Basically the main difference is that programming occurs with the stuff hooked up not individually like DLA.  There's probably a better way to describe it tho...   ;D

Well, that's not completely true with the SCC's provided you use the Falcon firmware.  Once they have separate starting addresses, you can program them in place and you can set the first starting addresses when you flash the firmware.  As for the DMX stuff, there are no DMX dimmers here that I am aware of.