Author Topic: Matrix Message fonts  (Read 136 times)

Offline dkuntz

• Kudos: 0
Matrix Message fonts
« on: September 11, 2017, 07:14:59 PM »
Running Matrix Message 2.3 on FPP 1.9.50-fge8e9a5  on a Pi 3. I tried to add a font via uploading a .ttf file under content setup, file manager. I can see 2 .ttf files in the uploads tab. From Matrix Message I click on Font Management and then "Update Fonts" (I don't see the "INSTALL FONTS" button.) I am not seeing any new fonts. I have tried rebooting and still didn't see my new fonts.

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
  • Kudos: 20
Re: Matrix Message fonts
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 06:01:35 AM »
Hmm... Those are the directions. Can you attach the files here and I can try to reproduce on my end.
Thanks

Offline dkuntz

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 07:18:02 PM »
What files do you want? I did poke around and was able to manually get the fonts installed after finding where the upload folder is and also where the other .ttf files seemed to reside. The upload folder was /media/upload. From this folder I ran Sudo cp *.ttf /usr/share/fonts/truetype/. After this and and a restart the fonts I uploaded are available. Now I have another issue. When text is scrolled with either Twilio control or Matrix tools it is shifted down, not centered vertically on the matrix. If I use Matrix tools and choose center instead of scroll the text is not shifted down. I had noticed this before but it is exaggerated with the all caps font I would like to use. This happens because the all caps font does not have descenders. For non all caps fonts, the descenders on lowercase characters  like "y", "g" etc. get cut off but this shifts the rest of the letters higher so most letters are at least on the matrix and not half off like with the all caps font. I feel the matrix is set up correctly because in addition to the matrix tools center text option working, if I use the draw option in matrix tools the expected pixels light up when drawing. Also fseq files from xlights work properly. Not sure if it contributes but my setup is a double sided matrix. Both sides are defined in channel outputs, led panels. I have one side configured in pixel overlay models and then the second side gets mirrored by using remap output channels.

Offline dkuntz

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 07:44:23 PM »
I did some more testing tonight. The problem seems to occur only with large font sizes starting at about 26pt. As you pick higher pt sizes above 24pt the text keeps shifting downward further from vertically centered. I was using 36pt and by that size the font is shifted downward so that about half the font is off the bottom of the matrix.