Author Topic: eMMC as storage device on BBB  (Read 218 times)

Offline bitwise

• Kudos: 1
    • Christmas in Castille
eMMC as storage device on BBB
« on: September 12, 2017, 04:01:40 PM »
Whenever I try to set the eMMC device as the main config repository, it asks to reboot and then forgets the setting. Where does this data get stored so I can just SSH into the system and write the change to the file myself. I think there is something wrong with the UI trying to do it.

Also, I am unable to save any changes on the machine at the moment because it will not save settings to the USB or the eMMC.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 81
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: eMMC as storage device on BBB
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 05:13:56 PM »
using eMMC to store non-operating system info is not going to work well. There is very little room left.

(700mb).  While that could store config info, it wouldn't hold much else. Would only be usable in Bridge Mode since it couldn't hold FSEQ files in that space. If it won't store to SD card, then it needs to be error checked (I put it in my Windows PC and scan for errors).

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 12
Re: eMMC as storage device on BBB
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 06:03:57 PM »

That setting usually requires it to be set and rebooted twice in order for it to "stick".  It's something that bothers me about the design of the FPP code, but not something I wanted to really change.   Probably should think about it.

Basically, that setting is saved on whatever is currently mounted, then the /etc/fstab is updated.   When you reboot, the fstab it used to mount the new location, but the setting isn't there as it was stored on the old card.   Thus, the UI doesn't reflect what you set it to.   You need to set it again which saves the setting in the new location so the next reboot should be fine.
Dan Kulp