Author Topic: Newbie LOR Falcon help  (Read 430 times)

Offline Mchedwards

• Kudos: 0
Newbie LOR Falcon help
« on: September 15, 2017, 02:02:32 PM »
Trying to figure out several things but first is hardware.  I only had one year of LOR, but expanding my RGB set up substantially this year so moving to Xlights at the same time.  So I will be including a F16V3 with expansion board to be the main controller of mega tree, arches and some vertical columns.   What I planned to bring over from LOR is a CTB16PC AC controller and 5 CCC rgb controllers running CCB's.

trying to figure out the best way to config.   I thought I was going to use the USB to dongle for my LOR and Ethernet for the Falcon.   Not even sure that is possible but I thought that was how I was to set it up.  Now I see the Falcon has a port you can set up for LOR. 

Is that the best way to run this set up?
if I connect the LOR set up to the Falcon, do I even need the dongle?
if the DMX output capable of running both the AC and RGB controller daisy chained as I had it set up in LOR last year.   

Offline Ebuechner

• Kudos: 6
Re: Newbie LOR Falcon help
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 03:31:22 PM »
Ditch the dongle. If you're Lor controllers aren't very old they will accept a DMX signal ( but you might have to update firmware). You can set the jumpers on the falcon serial ports to Lor and then daisy chain everything off the F-16 V3 controller.

Offline Mchedwards

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 03:38:57 PM »
Thank you Ebuechner,  I know I can set the serial port to LOR and plug in the LOR controllers there.   but I am having problems understanding beyond that.   If I set it up as a LOR type,  I only get 96 channels.   in DMX I get only 512.   I have 450 pixels and 16 AC channels so 1366 channels al together which I was going to plug into the DMX serial port.   not sure how to set that up in Xlights or the Falcon.   do you have this type set up. 

Or anyone.  would love to see screenshots.  I have this same question out to a few other forums...  stuck and not sure how to proceed.   

I can even just plug in my LOR into my USB like I would have running LOR sequencing if that helps but not sure how to set that up either as I seem to run into this 512 universe issue...

signed   LOST   :) 

Offline Ebuechner

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 05:36:37 PM »
You can only get 512 channels out of each serial-port so you're going to end up having to split up your controllers.
By splitting up the controllers to the different outputs on the Falcon you have an added benefit of not having a single point of failure. What I mean by that is if you're having problems with one of the ports or a wire you're only going to lose part of your show and tell you trace it down and fix it.
With that many channels you're probably going to have to split it into three parts which means are going to need at least one crossover cable to hook to your F-16 V3.
I would strongly suggest you join the zoom meeting on Wednesday night to get some help. If you have a microphone or a webcam for your computer you can join in and we can share screenshots live and walk you through what you need to do.

Offline Ebuechner

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 05:38:46 PM »
Also it's strongly suggested that in your profile you put your location so that if there's somebody who's close by they can see that and maybe offer some local help.

Offline Mchedwards

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 05:47:42 PM »
done  Location added

Offline Mchedwards

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 06:54:00 PM »
totally missed your message about the zoom meeting.   where do I find info on that? 

Good news is I have a extra differential receiver board that I am not using out of my original 4 I got with my expansion board.  That plus the use of 1 or 2 of the serial dmx ports should cover me.  only need to spend a bit more $ for power supply and case.   :)   

but this will get my roof line scattered amongst different outputs and will make me crazy   lol   

so that brings me to another question...   is it okay for half of my roof line to be run via a expansion port and others via DMS serial port?   any speed issues?  they will all be part of the same roofline model. 

Offline Ebuechner

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 06:59:53 PM »
The zoom meeting is a virtual meeting area that you do through the computer.
https://zoom.us/j/175801909
I have the two different sides of my roof running from two completely different controllers and there's no way you'd be able to tell the difference.

Offline Mchedwards

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 09:45:29 PM »
what time on Wednesdays does it start?

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 42
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 09:59:01 AM »
7pm eastern time
Jim Nealand