Author Topic: Copy SD card????  (Read 697 times)

Offline gdyrdave

• Kudos: 0
Copy SD card????
« on: February 10, 2014, 12:15:10 PM »
Is it possible to copy the contents of an SD card in a functional RP to another and put that in another RP?? Just curious.

Offline rdebolt

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 3
    • Christmas in Boise
Re: Copy SD card????
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 01:11:02 PM »
As long as the card is properly formatted I would think so.

Roger

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 141
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 01:11:28 PM »
You can do this several ways.

If you put your new SD card in your computer, you should be able to use file Explorer to browse to the 'PI' share on your first PI and copy the directory structure and files from under the 'media' directory across your network onto the new SD card.  There should not be a 'media' directory on the SD card.  /home/pi/media is where the SD card gets mounted on the Pi.

Or you could put the original SD card in your computer, copy the files off, and copy them onto a new SD card.

Or you could use scp to copy them between the two Pi units from the Linux command line:

scp -rp /home/pi/media/* pi@NEWIP:/home/pi/media/

the password is 'raspberry'

There are several others as well.  I use rsync to copy between the three systems I have running FPP.
-
Chris

Offline gdyrdave

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 01:19:25 PM »
Will give those a try. Thanks Chris and Roger.

Dave

Offline Materdaddy

• Kudos: 9
    • Christmas On Quiet Hills
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 02:50:51 PM »
You can do this several ways.

If you put your new SD card in your computer, you should be able to use file Explorer to browse to the 'PI' share on your first PI and copy the directory structure and files from under the 'media' directory across your network onto the new SD card.  There should not be a 'media' directory on the SD card.  /home/pi/media is where the SD card gets mounted on the Pi.

Or you could put the original SD card in your computer, copy the files off, and copy them onto a new SD card.

Or you could use scp to copy them between the two Pi units from the Linux command line:

scp -rp /home/pi/media/* pi@NEWIP:/home/pi/media/

the password is 'raspberry'

There are several others as well.  I use rsync to copy between the three systems I have running FPP.

Chris,

You need more sleep with that new little bundle of joy! :P

Dave was asking about the SD card, not the USB stick.  The USB stick is what gets mounted at /home/pi/media.

Dave,

I'm not sure what windows utilities can be used to properly duplicate SD cards with linux filesystems.  If you have a linux system that can take 2 SD cards, "dd" would do the trick.

It's also not really good practice to do this "live" and likely won't work.  In other words, you will likely run into problems trying to duplicate the SD card currently booting on your PI.

Are you making lots of modifications to the main filesystem, or just looking to avoid the NOOBS recovery step on a new SD card?

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 141
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 03:18:53 PM »
You need more sleep with that new little bundle of joy! :P

Dave was asking about the SD card, not the USB stick.  The USB stick is what gets mounted at /home/pi/media.

Heh.   :(   Yeah, I shouldn't try to respond to posts during a 15-minute break from an all-day long conference call that I was called and asked to join this morning after only getting 4 or so hours of sleep last night.  Acid Reflux in babies is a pain....

It's a good thing I prefer to code late at night, as it now takes me until then to wake up sometimes. :)

Offline gdyrdave

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 03:37:56 PM »
LOL Chris.... Been there dun that... Mat, Yes to your questions at the end of your post. I will just go the normal route....
IE:  Get off my lazy *** and just do it. Besides I need to practice more...as if I haven't already. Thanks guys.

Dave

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 54
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 05:42:34 PM »
winimage for windows will read the whole card and make a image, you will then be able to write that image to a new card

Tony

Offline gdyrdave

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 05:56:40 PM »
I'll try that too Tony. Thanks

Dave