Author Topic: Lost in picking Pixels - like the C9 bulbs  (Read 1034 times)

Offline bhensley

• Kudos: 1
    • Brian's Blog Tutorials >>
Lost in picking Pixels - like the C9 bulbs
« on: September 29, 2017, 03:31:08 PM »
So i've read a lot of wiki and forum pages on smart pixels and I have a couple details i'm stuck on before I buy (already bought a F16v3) I'm looking at lights for the trim of my house and really like the C9 glass covers. Also i'm looking through Ray Wu's store pages for reference and i'm getting lost quickly.

great wiki page >> http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Different_Styles_of_Pixels

I want bulbs that can be three different colors each bulb can be any color anytime, I like its 18AWG wire ey're water proof.

1) I don't understand seeing the number of LEDs per chip. Don't I want 3? one for R, G, B colors so I can create whatever color I want? or is that for brightness because some will be 2 LED and some will be 3 LED.

2 LEDS example --> https://goo.gl/oWdYwe

3 LEDS example --> https://goo.gl/KKQ1zD

Another LED option -- > https://goo.gl/X44d4A

2) Advantages of WS2811 vs other ICs?

Why are there sooo many options... :o ::)

Cheers,Brian

Offline jem5136

• Kudos: 0
    • Lights of the Night
Re: Lost in picking Pixels - like the C9 bulbs
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 08:46:22 AM »
Brian,

The only difference between the 2 RGB and 3 RGB is the number of LED's per chip, so the 3 will be brighter than the 2. Both are RGB's and will give you millions of colors, the only difference is how bright the nodes are.

WS2811 is a very common and can be used with a lot of different RGB controllers (of course I strongly recommend using Falcon over other controllers), I'm not sure if there's any advantages or disadvantages when comparing it with others (maybe others can chime in here). I've used WS2811 pixels and I haven't had any problems with them so far.

One think to keep in mind when choosing RGB's is the voltage. I recommend using 12v, it seems to be a crowd favorite.

Offline ccrowder

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 11:17:12 AM »
It also depends on how far apart you are going to have the bulbs.
I have ones from holidaycoro which are 2 LEDS per bulb and pretty much like the ones you linked but mine are at 8in spacing.  Below is a picture of them at full brightness which is plenty bright for me.  3 LED versions would be even brighter so depends on density and what you want.

Offline ccrowder

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 11:18:15 AM »
Should add.. even if you go with the 3 LED ones you can always just turn the brightness down in xlights or at the controller board.

Offline bhensley

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 11:56:12 PM »
Should add.. even if you go with the 3 LED ones you can always just turn the brightness down in xlights or at the controller board.

Thank you for the feedback. I actually changed my mind after looking at more examples and decided to go with under the eave lighting this year. Going with a bunch of 3 LED modular lights from Mr Wu.

PS. I like your under the eave lights.  ;)

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 12
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 09:30:46 AM »
It also depends on how far apart you are going to have the bulbs.
I have ones from holidaycoro which are 2 LEDS per bulb and pretty much like the ones you linked but mine are at 8in spacing.  Below is a picture of them at full brightness which is plenty bright for me.  3 LED versions would be even brighter so depends on density and what you want.

+1  In general, the longer the spacing between lights the more power you want.  IE 6-8" 2 chip, 10-12" 3 chips.  I think it is worthwhile picking up a few different iterations of elements before going all in.  Set them up and see for yourself.   
Sam

Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline ccrowder

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 11:21:01 AM »
Oddly enough.. through Ray the 2 led versions are more expensive then the 3 led versions.  They do have a slightly different cover shape but not sure why more pricey.  Plus when I asked the 2 led version can not be made with custom lengths while the 3 led version can.

Offline bhensley

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 10:07:20 PM »
Oddly enough.. through Ray the 2 led versions are more expensive then the 3 led versions.  They do have a slightly different cover shape but not sure why more pricey.  Plus when I asked the 2 led version can not be made with custom lengths while the 3 led version can.

Well I ended up going with Mr Wu's 3 LED module with 4" spacing. Planning to either mount it to a board under the eave since my truces are tight together and dont' have room from the overhang, or i'll mount it behind the gutter side somehow.

:o  now i'm wondering if my lights will be too bright.

Offline bhensley

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 10:09:36 PM »
How long does it normally take from order to receiving from Mr Wu? I paid $5 extra for slightly faster shipping but also realize China's on national holiday this week.  ::)  ...wish I got a week off.

Offline ccrowder

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 10:19:40 AM »
Really depends.. he is really really busy this time of year.  Best off getting an estimate from him.

As for being to bright.. don't worry.  You can easily turn down the brightness depending on your controller board or program.  For example I run my 12mm nodes at 50% brightness.  So when I setup those strands in xlights on the layout I just set them at 50%.  Xlights converts all the values for me so when it goes to my board it is 50% full brightness. Some boards also have the option to specify brightness for strands connected but I find doing it in xlights works for me.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 10:56:25 AM »
Yep hard to say.  Fast as a few days or could be months...  These days, I find it worthwhile to pay a little extra for domestic and support those in our hobby.  I think you get some QC too. 

By "3 led module" do you mean rectangle modules or the C9 style?   

Offline bhensley

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 12:08:54 PM »
Yep hard to say.  Fast as a few days or could be months...  These days, I find it worthwhile to pay a little extra for domestic and support those in our hobby.  I think you get some QC too. 

After the initial post I changed my mind after watching some videos on lighting style... no longer going for the C9 look. And yes the rectangle modules was my reference.

It was almost 2x the price to go domestic. Otherwise Holiday Coro was my next option.

Offline bhensley

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 12:13:51 PM »
Really depends.. he is really really busy this time of year.  Best off getting an estimate from him.

As for being to bright.. don't worry.  You can easily turn down the brightness depending on your controller board or program.  For example I run my 12mm nodes at 50% brightness.  So when I setup those strands in xlights on the layout I just set them at 50%.  Xlights converts all the values for me so when it goes to my board it is 50% full brightness. Some boards also have the option to specify brightness for strands connected but I find doing it in xlights works for me.

Perfect, exactly what I was hoping for, if I can dim them everything will work. I've been dabbling in Xlights and my F16v3 controller comes in today  ;D ;D ;D ;D

So as soon as all pieces are here I can start testing.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2017, 01:02:07 PM »

After the initial post I changed my mind after watching some videos on lighting style... no longer going for the C9 look. And yes the rectangle modules was my reference.

It was almost 2x the price to go domestic. Otherwise Holiday Coro was my next option.
Careful with them. 
http://diylightanimation.com/index.php?topic=13212.msg168725#msg168725
http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,3518.0/nowap.html
I have a couple hundred used if you want to cut out the duds. 

Offline ccrowder

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 01:47:59 PM »
If you are not going with c9 I would (as most will) recommend the bullet style single LED nodes.  You can get good mounting strips from holidaycoro or boscoyo.  Those nodes are what 99% of folks use.  Rest are usually c9 with a few using strips.