Author Topic: Power Distribution with Distro Board  (Read 194 times)

Offline tmarshall

• Kudos: 0
Power Distribution with Distro Board
« on: September 30, 2017, 10:22:29 AM »
I was wondering what the general consensus is for wiring long pixel strings using a power distro board for power injection. Do you connect the positives between each string, or do you only connect the data and ground between strings?

I have done it both ways, and both ways have seemed to work. But, it seems to me that if you connect all of the positive wires between strings and you blow one of the fuses, the other fused power points will draw more power to compensate, and you may likely have a cascade effect and pop multiple if not all of the fuses in the distro board.

Most of the Power Injection posts I have read usually have one large fuse for all the strings on a given channel, but that would be too much power per distro board output.

What are your recommendations?

See diagram for clarification. (Diagram does not show ground from controller, but It would be connected in as well)

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 77
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: Power Distribution with Distro Board
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 11:05:00 AM »
Your reason for not connecting Positives is a good one.
The other reason frequently given is that the voltage regulation in different power supplies may begin to fluctuate when they sense a voltage change from each other. It could cause weird voltage oscillations and should be avoided.

So, the V- (DC ground) should be tied together. The V+ should not.

Offline tmarshall

Power Distribution with Distro Board
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 11:36:57 AM »
Your reason for not connecting Positives is a good one.
The other reason frequently given is that the voltage regulation in different power supplies may begin to fluctuate when they sense a voltage change from each other. It could cause weird voltage oscillations and should be avoided.

So, the V- (DC ground) should be tied together. The V+ should not.
Yeah, i know about the issues associated with cross connecting power supply positives. I this case, I am only using one power supply to drive about 400 pixels

Thanks

Offline sklankowski

• Rotary Lights
Re: Power Distribution with Distro Board
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 04:55:06 PM »
Had this same question when connecting two string together.  We needed to insert power from the end of string one to provide enough power reduce yellowing, and had about 2 meters of light to go on string two.  As long as the lights are on the same transformer, but can understand the cascade effect of blowing fuses.  A risk in the design versus capabilities of setup, IMO.