Author Topic: Couple questions from a DLA user  (Read 298 times)

Offline lonewolf41

• Kudos: 2
Couple questions from a DLA user
« on: October 04, 2017, 08:43:33 PM »
I know the F16 can have a pretty large distance from controller to first pixel, but what after that?  This goes back to my multiple distributed controller vs. central controller discussion.  I assume the ~6' max between pixels still applies after the first pixel.  If that is the case, how are people handling props that are say 10' apart?  If I have 5 snowflakes of 25 pixels each that are 15' apart, how do I wire them all up to one port?  The controller can handle the channel count, but how does the electrical (signal, power) get done?  The distance seems to far for reliable data.

One other question...and I may have asked this before, but can't remember...but does/can the DLA gear (SSC ,Zeus, etc.) run 2811, 2812 pixels and not just the 1809 (or 1804 can't remember which for sure)?

Thanks,
-Keith

Offline Duane Johnson

• Johnson Lights
Re: Couple questions from a DLA user
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 09:31:50 PM »
There are two ways to accomplish long distances between pixels:
a) input a uamp in between the long runs (avail on falcon board) which will allow long distances (this can also be used with DLA gear FYI)
b) input a null pixel which will repeat the signal every 6'-10' depending on voltage and wire size.  You can insert as many as needed till you get to the length you need....each pixel repeats the signal.

Offline th182

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 07:05:05 AM »
a) input a uamp in between the long runs (avail on falcon board) which will allow long distances (this can also be used with DLA gear FYI)
The advantage to the UAmp is it is invisible to the show. It doesn't take any data so you don't have to program it as a null pixel. It just repeats what it gets. Whereas a pixel has to be programmed in either the controller or sequences to be null/dark all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 84
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 08:50:13 AM »
The question about WS2811 and WS2812

They are compatible protocols with the TM1804 and TM1809 chips that DLA started with.

There are some newer chips, the WS2811s, being sold that are having troubles with San Devices controllers. Their timings are different but San Devices released an update that fixed it. Falcon controllers never had a problem with them.

If your SSC and Zeus hardware is using Falcon firmware, you should be good. If still running the original DLA firmware, I just don't know.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 12
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 09:11:37 AM »
IMO the hobby is just beginning to look at better options for this issue.  I am firmly in the distributed layout camp and daisy chaining data and power does not click for me.  That said, uAMP is the best for this as the other options do not help the data they just distro power.  New to the scene is the DIYC.org data splitter.  https://diychristmas.org/vb1/showthread.php?8108-Pixel-Splitter-now-available  It can be programmed...  Some minor limitations but main downside to me is only 3 outs.  I think it needs 4 at least .  That said, I think this is the future and feel it is a huge step in the right direction for distro layout guys.  Assembled mine last night and plan to test.  I would really like to see a Falcon version (always amazed at how they approach stuff) or a Falcon board with only senders that can be run 4 port receivers.  Seems like I am in minority tho.  I actually posted over at DLA suggesting the team start specializing in new stuff for the distributed layout concept.  At this point, I am sitting back and waiting to see what evolves before making large changes (plan to add 4 mid size smart trees).  One thing to consider is that many are now going beyond the PN channel count (16k).  With the newer F16v2/3 you can double that but most seem to be going all E1.31 where is basically no limit.

(Jon beat me to the 2811) but IIRC DLA SSCv4 firmware will work but unsure of other versions. 
Sam

Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline lonewolf41

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 09:18:21 PM »
Thanks for the feedback and info.  I am running Falcon firmware on my SSC's.  I still have a few SSC v 2 and quite a few SSC v4 left so I already have spent the money and going that route would not cost me any more (I also have more hubs to power them as well).  I like the idea of the the micro amp (I have 10 of those now but would need 15 more for what I need) so there is an added cost for going that route.   I had not heard of, but like the idea (as I understand it anyway) of the pixel splitter; however, with only 3 outputs, that is a more expensive option than 3 micro amps which essentially does the same thing I believe...plus cost is always a consideration with me  :) .  It is frustrating that I could run everything I need from one output, but the distance prohibits me from doing it...without extra hardware anyway.  If I didn't have the hardware, the micro amps would be the best route, but in my case, using the SSC's probably make the most sense and will be the least costly.  These will be on the ground as well so if I needed to change the controllers out or reprogram, it would be no big deal.

Thanks for letting me pick your brains.  I thought my assumptions were correct, just wanted to make sure.  I may not get these props added this year anyway, but wanted to be ready if I was able to.

Thanks again,
-Keith

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 12
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 09:37:10 AM »
The data splitter is different as it does not require sending/returning the data line back to the next prop, in addition, you can program it so there is a gap of pixels sent to next prop where with uAMP props/channels must be sequential.  To me, the data splitter is basically a mini controller.  In terms of cost (big for me too) I remind the central controller guys is to account for the all the additional wire and connectors used.  Let us also not forget about voltage drop...