Author Topic: uAmp use for 24v Floodlights  (Read 409 times)

Offline jhoybs

• Kudos: 3
uAmp use for 24v Floodlights
« on: October 05, 2017, 01:36:05 PM »
2 questions on the uAmp

1) I'm using it for RobG's 20W WS2811 floods - they are 24vdc.  I've placed a series 5.6v Zener diode in line with the power input of the uAmp to reduce the voltage that it sees to get some voltage headroom (read that 24vdc is max input voltage).  Will this be OK?

2) I'm installing the uAmps in line and my cabling will vary from 15-40 feet.  Am I better off placing the uAmp on the data inputs or outputs of the flood (currently, I have my first prototype on the input)?

Thanks!
Jim
Jim H.
Muskego, WI
Falcon F16v3, PiCap, FPPs. Lynx Expresses, xLights

Offline mklabunde

• Kudos: 0
Re: uAmp use for 24v Floodlights
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 02:44:30 PM »
Jim,
  Zener diodes are put across the load with a resistor in series with the zener to limit the current draw.  Do a google search of how to hook it up.  You are on the correct track just have to add one part.  I think that putting the micro amp closer to the output of the controller is better.   More signal for that micro amp to work with.

Mark

Offline Bwinter

• Kudos: 2
    • First Show 2016
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 01:53:14 AM »
The 50w version on the 24v floodlights are recommended to actually run at 27v.

Can anyone simply explain what would be needed to use a uAmp in this scenerio?

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 12
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 11:51:19 AM »
First thing that pops in my mind is to use step up buck.  Run 24V into uAMP and to flood but use the buck at the flood and raise to 27V. 
Sam

Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline Bwinter

• Kudos: 2
    • First Show 2016
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 02:30:57 PM »
2 questions on the uAmp

1) I'm using it for RobG's 20W WS2811 floods - they are 24vdc.  I've placed a series 5.6v Zener diode in line with the power input of the uAmp to reduce the voltage that it sees to get some voltage headroom (read that 24vdc is max input voltage).  Will this be OK?

In your set-up, what would be the benefits/differences of using a set-down buck-converter in place of the Zener diode?  I'm in a similar situation, where I'm using 27v-28v (for the floods) but my uAmp is limited to 16v.

My (limited) knowledge was that the uAmps are indented to work on the output-side, in order to send the signal a greater distance.

Offline jhoybs

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 06:10:35 PM »
2 questions on the uAmp

In your set-up, what would be the benefits/differences of using a set-down buck-converter in place of the Zener diode?  I'm in a similar situation, where I'm using 27v-28v (for the floods) but my uAmp is limited to 16v.

My (limited) knowledge was that the uAmps are indented to work on the output-side, in order to send the signal a greater distance.

This is what I am doing - I used a Zener circuit to drive the uAmp.  I placed it inside the flood.  I'm using 14 guage power cable for the 3 lines.  Note: Doing it over again, I'd suggest a resistor value of 1K.

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 7
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 04:02:52 AM »
FYI - just for general knowledge:

A "buck converter" is a DC to DC step down unit. (Higher voltage to lower.)
A "boost converter" is a DC to DC step up unit. (Lower voltage to higher.)

Offline jhoybs

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 07:35:23 AM »
Good point.  Normally, I would have used buck convertors, but I had Zeners & resistors on hand.