Author Topic: Differential Receiver Port Question  (Read 2030 times)

Offline deplanche

• Kudos: 5
Re: Differential Receiver Port Question
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2017, 01:24:49 PM »
Do the attached figures help clear this up for you?  If so, I can add that with some text to the next revision of the manual.

Offline deplanche

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2017, 01:26:15 PM »

So to confirm, diff board with receiver board and I can use all pixel 4 outputs on receiver board.  And I can also still use serial outputs for LOR and DMX on falcon, correct?

That is correct. 

I do have to ask, what are you planning on running, and how many ports are you planning on using?  A diagram would be helpful if you can.

Offline deplanche

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2017, 01:27:31 PM »
I too have been through the manual in detail.  It is loaded with great info and really cleared alot up with my initial setup.  However I am thinking there is another hidden issue as to why I can't get data on any other ports on the receiver with the exception of port 1 using serial port 1 on f16.  Was hoping the original firmware was availble to see if this would correct the problem I am having.  I most likely will also be purchasing an expansion board.  Besides that will give me some wiggle room for next year and an excuse to purchase more pixels... already used that excuse with the co aka the wife.

Since there haven't been any updates to the firmware, I don't think any have been released, which is why you can't even find the original.

Offline greg

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2017, 02:22:32 PM »
Thanks for the info.  That's what I was thinking but thought the original would be floating around somewhere

Online jstomasi

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2017, 02:50:42 PM »
Do the attached figures help clear this up for you?  If so, I can add that with some text to the next revision of the manual.
Nice diagram!!!  That will be a good edition so visual people like myself who sometimes skip things when they read will not miss it

Regarding my setup and what I am trying to do I will ha e to get back to you later. Not enough time to explain at this moment

The skinny is I have 6 plus years of LOR equipment and such that I am converting to xlights and fpp and falcon   Including 7 AC controllers 2CMB24s Pixel tree and some new things I made this year. Old CCRs that will be replaced with WS2811s. And more. I am really behind this year. And trying to catch up. So as you can imagine trying to get everything squared away.   I am still having issues with CMB 24s but thats another story. Anyway I am rambling. My closed lighting network seems to be working well so there is that!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline greg

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2017, 08:18:22 AM »
Update:
This past weekend I did a little more messing around.  To the point thinking I had a bad trace or solder point so I took the board out of the enclosure to check things out.  didn't find anything out of the ordinary so I hooked everything back up.  reset to factory settings again and reloaded my settings.  viola! now the ports are working however a slightly different problem, It looks as if the data on those Ports 2,3,4 is corrupt in some way.  Same prop hooked up to port 1 with same config is fine.  I move that prop to the other ports and getting bad data.  Even tried changing port assignments in serial tab.  While I made a little head way I am still at a stumbling point.  Thinking maybe something with the differential receiver board at this point.

Offline my73bimmer

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2017, 11:45:33 PM »
Update:
This past weekend I did a little more messing around.  To the point thinking I had a bad trace or solder point so I took the board out of the enclosure to check things out.  didn't find anything out of the ordinary so I hooked everything back up.  reset to factory settings again and reloaded my settings.  viola! now the ports are working however a slightly different problem, It looks as if the data on those Ports 2,3,4 is corrupt in some way.  Same prop hooked up to port 1 with same config is fine.  I move that prop to the other ports and getting bad data.  Even tried changing port assignments in serial tab.  While I made a little head way I am still at a stumbling point.  Thinking maybe something with the differential receiver board at this point.

Hello, I have looked everywhere on the forum and I recently purchase a 4-string differential board and connected to the DMX1 port to run a Mega tree and some arches that I have. I experience the same problem as the other members who are trying to setup this differential board to the F16v3. 

What other solutions have you been able to find ? Does this mean that the board is bad ? any findings it would be greatly appreciated. I may have to run a long cable from the F16 to where I have my tree and arches and do power injection since I can not get anything from this boad

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 86
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2017, 06:45:31 AM »

What other solutions have you been able to find ? Does this mean that the board is bad ? any findings it would be greatly appreciated. I may have to run a long cable from the F16 to where I have my tree and arches and do power injection since I can not get anything from this boad

Can you describe your F16V3 setup? Just the main board, no expansion? 
What do you have defined in E131/Artnet?
What do you have defined in Strings/Ports?
How are you setup on Serial outputs?

Screen shots are best.  Most of the problems people have had are configuration, not hardware. The Differential receiver is a very simple board and is not usually the problem. It is frequently the CAT5 cable being used or just not fully configured.

You can always call Dave Pitts. (your welcome, Dave. :) )

Offline my73bimmer

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2017, 11:03:11 AM »

Screen shots are best.  Most of the problems people have had are configuration, not hardware. The Differential receiver is a very simple board and is not usually the problem. It is frequently the CAT5 cable being used or just not fully configured.

Main board - No expansion
I am adding the screenshots

Offline greg

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2017, 02:25:35 PM »
I never could get things working a call with Dave and we still couldn't get things working.  I will say his support is A+ in my book.  He did want me to call back after some additional testing with an additional receiver board I got however I was running out of time.  I decided to add the differential expansion board since I was going to be expanding next year anyway.  With the new expansion everything worked (I used the same cables and receiver board) so I knew they were working.  Sorry I wasn't much help with your issue but I still wanted to put some closure to my issue if anyone was searching this thread

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 48
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2017, 03:00:56 PM »
As I understand it and I used two of them last year:  To use a single differential board with an F16 v2/3 and no expansion board you need first to tell it you have an expansion board as this activates the firmware to allow the receiver to work.  Second it replaces the ouput connections 13, 14 15, 16 on the main board essentially allowing pixels to be controlled at a far distance without having power running from the main board location to the far location.  All this is documented in the user manual.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Falcon and Lynx, all 12v
Multisync with Pi and BBB
P10 and P5

Offline my73bimmer

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2017, 03:06:36 PM »
I left the confirmation on the software intact and decided to approach the next step. Take everything apart.  I just connected a 25 nodes cable on each port and a different Ethernet cable.  Now it decided to work. I will go back outside and connect all the other cables to see if it works with the mega tree and arches. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BigAlsTwinkle

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2017, 10:32:20 PM »

Main board - No expansion
I am adding the screenshots

I'm not trying to doubt anything but are you really pushing 512 pixels through ports 1 to 12 and 680 on each of the differential?

Just seems like a lot and consistent, also earlier this year you were seeking advice for yoyr first year with pixels and 10-15,000 pixels possibly seems like a big jump. Prips to you if thats the case and i hope to see videos of your display.I was just hoping maybe just a setup issue on the port channel assignments.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 11:23:04 PM by BigAlsTwinkle »