Author Topic: Differential Receiver Port Question  (Read 302 times)

Offline greg

• Kudos: 0
Differential Receiver Port Question
« on: October 11, 2017, 06:43:04 AM »
I have a F16V3 and am trying to utilize a differential receiver through the serial port connections.  I have a cat5 cable hooked up to serial port 1.  On the string ports page I have three universes set up on ports 14,15, and 16.  On the serial outputs page I have those three ports setup on Output #1 as Pixel Data using port index of 14, Output #2 as Pixel data using port 15, and Output 4 as Pixel Data using Port 16 (Output #3 is set up as serial data dmx)  Running falcon in test mode I seem to only get any activity on port 1 of the differential receiver.  I am sure I have something wrong but cant quite put my finger on it.  looked through the manual and the fourms but after two days I am just scratching my head.  Looking to see if anyone can shed some light on this one for me.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 63
Re: Differential Receiver Port Question
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 11:44:41 AM »
Check cable and make sure you are connected to upper DMX port of right side of the board.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline greg

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 12:38:02 PM »
Yes.  Connected to top port.  Also did swap out cables with same results.  It will run the test fine on the first port of the receiver however nothing on any of the other ports.

Offline L1011

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 02:32:08 PM »
I had this same problem on my F4v2 with the Differential Expansion Board ("DEB") not powering some of the ports on the Receiver Board (RB).  When I plugged an eth cable into one port of the DEB to the RB, only two of the four ports on the RB would actually light pixels.  When I plugged into the other eth port on the DEB, none of the RB ports would light pixels.

The fix (again, for the F4v2, not an F16 like you have) was to upgrade the firmware of my F4 to the latest beta firmware offered on pixelcontroller.com.  I'm not an expert like David is, but my guess is upgrading the firmware on your F16 may fix your issue. 
Newbie for 2016 using FPP, F16v2r, F4v2, and WS2811 bullet pixels.

Offline greg

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 06:51:10 PM »
I think I have the latest however I am unable to check until I get home.  I ordered it and received it fairly recently (end of August). That may be the fix

Offline greg

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 08:54:49 AM »
I checked today running sw ver. 2.0  I am assuming this is the latest version at this point as I couldn't find any additional info on firmware releases.  A few things I tried.  I saved settings and factory reset.  Reloaded settings with same results.  I also restored to factory settings and manually loaded settings with same results.  I know I read in a post that David was working on firmware so I may need to wait till then to see if that will solve my problem.  In the meantime I will continue to experiment who knows I may stumble upon something.  Still looking for any suggestions though.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 02:17:47 PM by greg »

Offline greg

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 07:50:29 AM »
Tried some other things hopefully this can narrow things down a bit.  The differential port 1 is the only location working. I tried hooking up to the other serial ports on the f16v3.  On port 2 and 3 the differential didn't work at all.  Next step I guess is firmware.  Does anone know where I can find the existing firmware?  I think 2.0,  I believe that is what came loaded.

Offline L1011

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 09:02:22 AM »
Does anone know where I can find the existing firmware?  I think 2.0
  Firmware is supposed to be located here:  https://www.pixelcontroller.com/store/index.php?id_product=48&controller=product  but I don't see a link to download the fw for the F16v3.  Maybe it was pulled for a reason?  Don't know...

Offline jstomasi

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 09:32:32 AM »
I am having the same issue.  with a twist...

I have a F16 v3 and just received a differential receiver board.

I was under the impression the you can plug it in to the first "special" serial output #1 and send 4 strings of information out to the Diff Receiver board from the f16 v3.  When I go to the serial output panel on the Falcon and select #1 Pixel mode: Pixel Data Port: [ I can only select 1 port ].

My configuration looks like this:

Serial port 1 > Mode: Pixel Data > to Diff receiver board Port: 13
Serial port 2 > Mode: DMX > to LOR controllers in DMX mode U: 1
Serial port 3 > Mode: DMX > to CMB24 in DMX mode U:21
Serial port 4 > Mode: DMX (there is no 4th serial output on the falcon f16 v3) only three, so how do you user the last output port?

I see other people are setting each Serial out to Pixel Data and setting the following, but that does not seem to work either.

Serial port 1 > Mode: Pixel Data > Diff receiver board Port: 13
Serial port 2 > Mode: Pixel Data > Diff receiver board Port: 14
Serial port 3 > Mode: Pixel Data > Diff receiver board Port: 15
Serial port 4 > Mode: Pixel Data > Diff receiver board Port: 16

Questions:
1. Is this the way you are supposed to setup the falcon in order to use the 1st Serial output to send to a diff receiver board?  Meaning, set all serial ports to pixel data and have diff receiver board plugged into serial port#1 in order for all 4 ports to work on diff receiver board?  If this is the case then this solution will not work if I am also trying to send DMX out to old AC LOR controllers in DMX mode.  Then I also have no ports for straight DMX devices. Ugg...
2. F16 V3 only has 3 black plastic serial output ports.  Where is the 4th serial output?

Offline greg

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 10:36:02 AM »
I believe he data for the 4th serial port is only available on port 1 and you need to make a cat 5 cable to break it out.  I don't recall what pins it is though but do remembetr reading somewhere about it.  I have a similar set up as you and am sacrificing port 3 on the differential in order to get dmx on one of the serial ports.

Offline deplanche

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 11:09:28 AM »
Trying to answer all your question together, so hopefully I will get them all:

First, and most important, I think many of your questions will be answered in the user manual.  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1S67ZVLgQRYsdqPhgfPkQucnFXvu1FmQAME9qnK5RixU/edit

The F16v3 has 4 serial chips on it which allows up to 4 serial outputs.  These are made available in the 3 black RJ45 connectors on the right side of the board.  The top connector, called DMX 1, outputs all 4 of the serial outputs - this is the only location that serial outputs 1 and 4 can be obtained from.  DMX 2 and DMX 3 output only from their respective chips. 

If you connect a Differential Expansion board to DMX 1, you can drive all 4 ports on that, which would all need to be set up as Pixel Data on the Serial Port page for whichever String port you choose.  The outputs will be the same as ordered on the Serial Port Page. 

If you don't want to use all 4 ports on the differential receiver connected to DMX1, you can connect something else like a LOR controller to DMX 2 and/or DMX3, and use that to output DMX/LOR or similar data.  In this case you would connect your device to that port, and the respective port on the differential receiver would no longer be used to drive pixels.

As serial output 4 is only available on DMX1, you generally wouldn't use this with pixel data at the same time.  You could, but would need to make a special wire to break out the correct data.  The wiring for the serial outputs in included in the manual.

Hope that answers all your questions.  If not, let me know.

Offline jstomasi

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 11:33:34 AM »
Thanks for everyones help, I am moving away from LOR  and am trying to get through the various aspects of the transition as gracefully as possible. 

I did read through the v3 manual and read about the expansion / diff boards.  The video CanispaterChristmas put out about the features of the F16 is what started me realizing that what I originally thought was not going to work.

So I guess the answer is to buy a differential expansion board.  Then I should still be able to use the three serial outputs as well as 4 ports on the diff receivers, correct?

The funny thing is, I purchased the diff receiver board under the auspices that I could use it directly off the falcon to handle the replacement of the pixie 8 controller I bought from LOR last year.  I was simply going to utilize the controller box and power supply with the diff receiver board and a power distro unit to replace the pixie 8.  Which I spoke with Dave P. about.   Now I have to spend another $40 to get it to work.  Not the answer I was hoping for...

So to confirm, diff board with receiver board and I can use all pixel 4 outputs on receiver board.  And I can also still use serial outputs for LOR and DMX on falcon, correct?

Offline greg

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 11:56:05 AM »
I too have been through the manual in detail.  It is loaded with great info and really cleared alot up with my initial setup.  However I am thinking there is another hidden issue as to why I can't get data on any other ports on the receiver with the exception of port 1 using serial port 1 on f16.  Was hoping the original firmware was availble to see if this would correct the problem I am having.  I most likely will also be purchasing an expansion board.  Besides that will give me some wiggle room for next year and an excuse to purchase more pixels... already used that excuse with the co aka the wife.

Offline jstomasi

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 11:59:36 AM »
I too have been through the manual in detail.  It is loaded with great info and really cleared alot up with my initial setup.  However I am thinking there is another hidden issue as to why I can't get data on any other ports on the receiver with the exception of port 1 using serial port 1 on f16.  Was hoping the original firmware was availble to see if this would correct the problem I am having.  I most likely will also be purchasing an expansion board.  Besides that will give me some wiggle room for next year and an excuse to purchase more pixels... already used that excuse with the co aka the wife.
I agree. I am going to test changing all serial ports to pixel data later and see if I can replicate your issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jstomasi

Differential Receiver Port Question
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 12:02:44 PM »
I will let you know if I ha e the same issue.

On a different note it would be great if diagram linked to from diff boards showed a serial example of dos and donts when using a diff receiver board. That would answer allot of questions for people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk