Author Topic: Control box venting  (Read 185 times)

Offline jediosu

• Kudos: 0
Control box venting
« on: October 26, 2017, 07:01:21 AM »
Tonight I'm mounting my 12V 30A PSU and F4V3 into a CableGuard 1500. Should I be concerned about adding a vent and/or fan? I live in Ohio and the temps could really be anywhere in the Christmas season. I've seen setups of people installing 3 PSU's into a CG-1500 and using vents and fans, but wasn't sure if it would be necessary for my setup. The PSU and F4V3 are the only devices that will reside here, the Pi, FM transmitter, and SSR have their own weatherproof box. Any advice or personal experience would be appreciated.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 12
Re: Control box venting
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 08:01:30 AM »
Buckeye Padawan,
I'm in Sandusky and I think you'd agree with me now, the heat wave is over...   ;D  No need to vent.  In the past with AC dimmers I ran into to occasional issues with things being too cold but have been fortunate with pixels.   I think a single PS and controller is about just right.  Now, if you are rocking 3 PSU and maxing it out it might be different, but I doubt it.  In Ohio, you really need to be make sure connectors are tight/etc in addition props need to be well built.  IE hot glue is not gonna cut it.  These days, everything possible gets a physical fastener.  I think it's the freeze thaw cycle that does it.  Alot of guys posting builds and tuts are in CA or other warm areas...  Anything I build gets an overnight "freezer test" to ensure it will cut it when deployed.  No need to get crazy just use small screws/zip ties etc.  Also try if possible to keep connectors off the ground.  Happy to elaborate if need be... 
Sam

Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline jediosu

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 09:06:16 AM »
Sounds great, thanks for the reply! I'm doing a porch outline and 4 arches so nothing elaborate this year. I'm planning on using the bullet strips for mega trees and then fastening those to my porch for the outline. I kicked around using PVC but the strips seem easier to manage and mount for 150' of runs. I'm still planning on PVC for my arches (I'm doing 25 node arches this year, so one string of 100 for all 4) unless I find something incidentally while out and about.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 12
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 10:11:42 AM »
Test a few things and see what shakes out.  I am a wooddorker and wood works if properly sealed.  My outline is 3/8" ply strips.  I tried a few things and ended up with flex strips inside 3/4" pex from lowes.  OMG so easy.  I spent like a solid month building my old incan arches in the day.   

Offline scamper

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 10:53:15 AM »
I agree. I just looked at your average temps for December and wouldn't worry about venting.
Here in Australia, we often get over 100deg so we have to vent, but I usually only put 1 supply and control board and vent without a fan.
I do have some boxes with multiple power supplies but the box is much larger and I just make sure I have an inlet on the bottom and an outlet at the top of the box for flow.

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 07:02:10 PM »
I too have a F4V3 with a 30A power supply in an enclosure, and so far I haven't had any issues with overheating. Our weather is pretty similar (from the Hoosier state here), and even though the summer months of testing this set up, I haven't had any issues so the winter chills are not going to be an issues.

I will say, though, my experience last year, trying to put 2 30A power supplies in a 1500 enclosure did not end well, they both got too hot for comfort. So I build a few wood enclosure with an open bottom and slits at the top to let air flow (no fans needed), worked like a charm. The PS fans turned on themselves if things started to get a bit warm during the show but never any over heating like I saw when they were in the 1500 enclosures.

Offline jediosu

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 07:35:13 PM »
Thanks for all the words of wisdom. I got my controller and psu mounted, I'm excited for my first year!