Author Topic: No Communication with F16V1??  (Read 560 times)

Offline Gary

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 3
    • Diamond Crescent Musical Christmas Lights
Re: No Communication with F16V1??
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2017, 09:33:57 PM »
Rdebolt, if Zwiller won't take all your F16V1 controllers, I may take one or two off your hands. I'm looking for the v1.03 revision with the plug-in screw terminal block connectors likes on the ones that were sold in the group buy back in March 2015. Active Pixelnet is a bonus.

Zwiller, I'm looking forward to seeing your songs/videos this year. There is just something I just love about your display layout, choice of songs, and sequencing.  :)

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 12
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2017, 08:27:27 AM »
Not sure it matters but how are you connecting 2 v1s to the v2?  Only serial 1 outputs a full PN universe but you can still send singles on the others.  Might be that you are daisy chaining v1s (that's what I would do) and I am just reading it wrong.  In any event, with the long distance to first node of the Falcon gear I am surprised you have the controllers up there on the roof. 

Thanks for the kind words Gary but I have to lower your expectations.  Oldest is senior and youngest is a busy 4 YO.  Not a lot of time for blinky.  That said, all my sequencing is done during the season so who knows... 
Sam

Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline rdebolt

• Supporting Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2017, 08:36:40 AM »

Rdebolt, if Zwiller won't take all your F16V1 controllers, I may take one or two off your hands. I'm looking for the v1.03 revision with the plug-in screw terminal block connectors likes on the ones that were sold in the group buy back in March 2015. Active Pixelnet is a bonus.

Zwiller, I'm looking forward to seeing your songs/videos this year. There is just something I just love about your display layout, choice of songs, and sequencing.  :)

They are the first edition. Fixed wire no plug ins. AND I totally agree about Sam's Videos!!!

Offline rdebolt

• Supporting Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2017, 08:45:27 AM »
Not sure it matters but how are you connecting 2 v1s to the v2?  Only serial 1 outputs a full PN universe but you can still send singles on the others.  Might be that you are daisy chaining v1s (that's what I would do) and I am just reading it wrong.  In any event, with the long distance to first node of the Falcon gear I am surprised you have the controllers up there on the roof. 

Thanks for the kind words Gary but I have to lower your expectations.  Oldest is senior and youngest is a busy 4 YO.  Not a lot of time for blinky.  That said, all my sequencing is done during the season so who knows... 

They are daisy chained and even that should not matter, but I have learned not to ignore what should not matter!  ::)  Even with the range of the Falcons that would still be a very long way to run a lot of nodes! I may rethink and rewire for next year, but for now I am just scrambling!  ???

Roger

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2017, 10:47:52 AM »
Shucks, thanks.  Funny, I prefer the old ones as I keep all the wires attached...  I was mostly joking but let's revisit post season.  Maybe we all could all trade since I have some newer ones. 

Are you going beyond channel 16k on these 2 v1s? 

Offline rdebolt

• Supporting Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2017, 11:27:58 AM »

Are you going beyond channel 16k on these 2 v1s? 

Not sure what you are asking Sam. only one is lower than channel 16384. One starts @ channel 32769 and 2 are in the 40k range. Is that what you were asking?

I will be going to all V2s and 3s or 4s if they come out!  ;D  My biggest thing is running power injection to everything, because right now I stay within the limits so I don't have to.

Roger

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2017, 01:56:30 PM »
Yes.  Just confirming the offenders are the high channels.  I agree, might easier for you to run all E1.31 and forgo the PN stuff with that large of channel count. 

Offline rdebolt

• Supporting Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2017, 10:51:03 AM »
Ok I'm throwing in the towel on my matrix controller for now.  :'(   :'(  I have reflash the 1.02 firmware several times. Reflashed the V2 firmware to version 1.05 (the one it is connected to). Moved jumpers on my V1 to every position that I can come up with (Should be 3-4 for channels I am trying to program). Lights on controller flash when I send command to set channels, but not holding program or something. I'm tapping out for now. If I get time I will rewire and set up for new F4v3 that I just received yesterday. Weather is turning here so I probably won't be able to get on my roof for much longer.

Roger

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2017, 08:34:45 AM »
I think you need to use ETD.  You said you forgot how to use the ETD.  It's actually easy.  PC > ETD > F16v1 same utility but use ETD drop down.  Might be a PITA with it being on the roof.  I'd probably feed it from a nearby window.   Also, are these v1s active PN with white 490 chips or passive with jumpers soldered/chip three pins crossed? 

Offline rdebolt

• Supporting Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2017, 12:23:20 PM »
Tried ETD. No joy. Passive or active should not matter as I have connected straight from V2 and ETD to them. The lights blink when command is sent the channels just won't stick. I now have 3 unusable V1s. Even the one that is in my yard (That was working and taking commands) has gone south for the winter. I needed to add some elements to it so I sent the channel command to it and have now lost it and cannot get back. Just for your information though I have 4 active and 1 passive my boards have the pin jumpers for making passive, so no need to solder any jumpers. 2 of the 5 that I have are working, but I am not sending any changes to those, but I need to. I know that I am just missing something VERY simple, but I sure cannot figure it out. Test mode works on all of them, Blue data indicator blinking slowly on all of them and lights blink fast when program command is sent. I even changed board address on one just for the heck of it and no change. The controllers do work, just not on the correct channels. I am not kidding when I say that I have over 30 hours of time just battling this. With that I could have rewired and put up by V3s but I am too darn stubborn when I know they will work.  ::)  I think I am just going to break down and call David for some help. I am at my whits end.

Thanks,
Roger

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2017, 01:49:11 PM »
Roger, I am the same way and would still hackaway.  You gotta be close.  If ETD not working and test mode is I'd say setup is off.  Back to your OP.  Start channel 43,338. That is 10 PN universes (40,960) and another 2,378 channels.  You are doing the PN universe shift thing when programming right?  IE channel 43,338 S/B 2,378 Universe 4 in the F16v1 utility but all normal in FPP and F16V2 (43,338 and universe 84).  http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,6668.0.html

Offline rdebolt

• Supporting Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2017, 04:13:08 PM »
Roger, I am the same way and would still hackaway.  You gotta be close.  If ETD not working and test mode is I'd say setup is off.  Back to your OP.  Start channel 43,338. That is 10 PN universes (40,960) and another 2,378 channels.  You are doing the PN universe shift thing when programming right?  IE channel 43,338 S/B 2,378 Universe 4 in the F16v1 utility but all normal in FPP and F16V2 (43,338 and universe 84).  http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,6668.0.html

Yep. I am doing it that way. The Falcon controller software will not let you input higher than the settings and will not let you go higher than 16384. My "Yard" V2 is in universe 1-32 @ 512. So it is set @ channel count 1-32768 and the V1 is in the 2-3 Pixelnet universes. This is the one that was working. I almost wonder if it is my network setup ( I am TOLTALLY illiterate in network set up!), but everything except the channel programming works. I also know that the controllers are getting the channel command signal because the lights flash rapidly when sent. I have tried to start with new firmware and leave V1 jumpers @ 1-2, send program then change jumpers. no work. I have started new, put jumpers @ 2-3 send command  and no go. Lights will flash in ALL cases. I have not tried to set @ a channel count in universe 1-2. Maybe I should, but even if that works it won't help me. Like I said before I am sure that there is something very simple that I am overlooking, but cannot see the forest through the trees!  :-[

Roger

BTW I just received an F4v3 and ordered 2 expansion boards for my V3s and 5 Distro 8s, but man I don't want to try and do that now.

Offline rdebolt

• Supporting Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2017, 08:29:36 AM »
Last night I re-flashed my yard V2 to Version 1.04, re-flashed firmware on V1 to 1.02. Set my jumpers to 1-2 and tried to program channels to 4097-8193. Lights flashed as usual but no lights @ 4097. They start @ 976????? Changed to start @ channel 1.... no change. So I set up my ETD, made sure that it was working by testing through x-lights and lights worked. Closed Xlights and set the Falcon Controller software for ETD, sent command and nothing. No lights flashed, came on, nothing. Tried several times, used my Cat5 cable tested to check wiring and all was good. So obviously ETD is not sending command, but does run lights???? Then came the downpour and I was done for the evening.

Roger

Tired of my posts yet???  ;D

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2017, 09:37:45 AM »
Not tired of the posts at all...  This sounds every bit of something that I would go thru.  I am pretty convinced there is a simple explanation for this and guessing network IPs.  At this point I wonder if the IP address on the V2s are flipped or you are using the wrong IP when programming.  One thing that saves my a$$ when setting up is a small sequence that I made that cycles the props in channel order.  Oftentimes I see things that make no sense until I see then cycle then I figure out why. 

Offline rdebolt

• Supporting Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2017, 12:10:16 PM »

Not tired of the posts at all...  This sounds every bit of something that I would go thru.  I am pretty convinced there is a simple explanation for this and guessing network IPs.  At this point I wonder if the IP address on the V2s are flipped or you are using the wrong IP when programming. 

Not wrong IPs. For one I can control everything that I want on my V2s and the correct ones and second if the IPs were off the lights would not blink when the program command sent through V2. ETD is not going through anything Direct cat 5 from ETD to V1 and is multicast. BUT keep the ideas coming! I sure cannot wait for that Duh moment!!!!

One thing that saves my a$$ when setting up is a small sequence that I made that cycles the props in channel order.  Oftentimes I see things that make no sense until I see then cycle then I figure out why. 

I too have a "Test Sequence" but no need for that when I can put an effect on something I want....output to lights and no blinky..... At that point I already know that I have issues.

Roger