Author Topic: PocketBeagle....  (Read 388 times)

Offline dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 22
PocketBeagle....
« on: October 18, 2017, 06:25:06 AM »

Not for this year.... thinking for next year....

There is a new $25 "PocketBeagle" available:  http://beagleboard.org/pocket

I just ordered 2 from Arrow with shipping and DEVBOARD discount code brought it down to ~$41 for two.   I'm going to play around a bit with them likely in December when my show is up and running.    Looking at the specs and such, it states there are 44 GPIO pins available.  That's down from the 55 on the full Beaglebone so it won't be as capable.   However, that is enough to drive 6 outputs of panels, providing all 44 are actually available.

One issue is that there is no networking at all.    There are USB header pins on board so if I create a "Hexo" cape for it, I'd have to add a USB-A socket to plug in either a wireless adapter or ethernet.   Either that or stick an SPI based ethernet/wifi adapter right on the cape, but I think I'd rather just do the USB-A socket.   

I'll also need to update my image from Debian 9.1 to 9.2.   That's minor.     

Anyway, looks like I'll have a fun holiday season.   New toys...    :)     Again, not for this year. 

Dan Kulp

Offline jkridner

• Kudos: 0
Re: PocketBeagle....
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 03:03:40 PM »
You can also many of the mikroBUS Click boards for network access.
I can probably help some with prototypes.

I agree that doing a USB type-A on a cape is pretty practical.

What does a "Hexo" cape look like?

I'm thinking about what I can play with this Christmas. :-)

Offline dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 03:11:18 PM »

It should end up looking something like the attached.   I have 10 bare boards on order, should be here in a few days.   

Offline jkridner

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 11:16:48 AM »
Brilliant. That's pretty close to what I would have done. I'd have been inclined to use a barrel jack. Also, I don't know if you have a power switch for the USB host or ESD protection for that. I'd have also been inclined to do most things as surface-mount for quick automated assembly.

Next time, contact me for free PCBs for prototypes of Beagle-related stuff. Friends at OSH Park have donated me some funds for this type of thing.

Offline dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 11:27:59 AM »

I also started on a pixel controller for the PocketBeagle as well.   This isn't fully routed yet and haven't added anything like marks on the silk for the power settings and mounting holes and such.    For this, I did go more surface mount.     From a functionality standpoint, this is very close to the F8B ( http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,7210.0.html  ) without the expansion port (which I MIGHT add along the side), just designed for the Pocket.   Again, something I might finish up after my Christmas display is up.   That said, it's all in my DropBox:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3oyqqmfxfmvts9c/AAAUzvpOdwqZ5AiyvOz3zJmxa?dl=0

(This is in the F4PB as I was originally planning on doing just a small 4 port so F4 for PocketBeagle, but then decided to just go with 8)

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 12
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 12:33:24 PM »
Nice.  I hope see more designs like this and things more geared to prop per port instead 1k pixels a port.  Maybe one that has only 4 differentials that could run the 4 port receivers.  The F4x4 PBR LOL.   
Sam

Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 12:59:09 PM »
Nice.  I hope see more designs like this and things more geared to prop per port instead 1k pixels a port.  Maybe one that has only 4 differentials that could run the 4 port receivers.  The F4x4 PBR LOL.

The nice thing about the Beaglebone Blacks is that it can do 1000 pixels per port (possibly more) for all 48 ports (actually, 55 if someone created a board that pulled them all out.   The PocketBeagle would be limited to 44.)   Thus, there is plenty of flexibility for designing various options.    The board above has 8 local fused ports and 2 RJ45's that can be used for 2 sets of 4 ports receivers or DMX or PixelNet.   Creating a board that is just differential senders is fairly simple, but I'm not sure how many people would be interested in it.  For example, I refuse to use CAT5 anywhere in my yard so it's useless to me.   That's kind of why for the boards I've designed, I try to do a "bit of both" to provide some flexibility.

That said, the main problem with a lot of differential senders would be power draw for those powering with 12V.   For the F32B I designed which has 4 differentials and 32 locals, I had to find a buck that could handle 2amps instead of the standard thing that was used for the F16B/F4B which only went up to 1.5A.   A full 52 port differential (13 rj45's) would require at least 2.5a, maybe more.  I'd need to run the numbers.    The F16B kind of got around the issue by using two of the 1.5amp bucks, one for the BBB and one for everything else, but that increases costs and requires more board space.   

That all said, I haven't seen numbers for how much the PocketBeagle draws compared to the full BeagleBone Black.   It obviously saves some power by not having the eMMC and HDMi and Ethernet and such, but no idea how much.