Author Topic: Multi-colored strings  (Read 205 times)

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 35
Multi-colored strings
« on: November 04, 2017, 06:58:57 PM »
Is there any way to use XLights to get an RGB string to look like a standard multi-colored string.  I have RGB nodes with C7 covers around my windows and front door and for Thanksgiving, I just want the nodes to alternate between orange and yellow.  During the static times at Christmas, I would like them to be multi-colored (red, blue, green orange) like the mini's that they replaced but I don't have a clue if XLights can do this or how if it can.  I will admit that my skill level in XLights is close to none so any help will be appreciated.

Offline deplanche

• Kudos: 4
Re: Multi-colored strings
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 09:10:45 PM »
For the static lights try this:

Single Stand Effect, use the Skip Tab.  Set Band size to 1, Skip size to 0, starting position can be anything, and the number of advances to 0.  Then pick the colors you want to use in the color window - based on your comments, you would set for red, blue, green and orange.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 02:45:41 PM »
thanks for the suggestion but that doesn't work.  While it does set the nodes to the colors selected, it does it randomly and has multiple lights in a row the same color.  I guess that this is where the complaints about XLights come from.  It appears to be fully targeted to those who use Matrix type displays like panels and mega trees but doesn't offer much to those of us who like the more simple look between shows like making a string of nodes look like an old style multi-color string, or flickering candle or flood light lightening effects for Halloween displays.  It really is sad because otherwise, it is amazing piece of software, just too narrowly focused.

Offline deplanche

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 05:47:54 PM »
Post your setup, and I can probably give you better ways of making the lights look like you want. 

While xLights is best suitable for the matrix like displays, there is a AC tool setting now, and many ways to get the various effects you are looking for.  If you are trying to get a particular effect, post a link to a video of something similar, and people will usually come up with a way you can recreate it.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 07:44:59 PM »
That is the problem, there is nothing special about this setup.  They are just plain window frames and that is all that is really in this setup so far.  There are 4 60 node frames for the upper windows, 6 66 node frames for the lower windows and a 80 node 3 sided frame for the front door.  All of the frames are RGB bullet nodes with C7 covers and are being controlled by SSC V3'.  All I want to do right now is set up the frames to look like static C7 multi-colored strings and just two colors for the Thanksgiving display alternating between orange and yellow.  For Christmas, I would like to go with 4 colors just like a C7 ican string would look but it appears that XLights does not have that ability and that is sad.  I did see the AC tools and they look like they would be helpful in some situations but not in this case.  What would be helpful there is to make some of the effects like candle and lightning compatible with single channel props or groups of single channel props or making the string function actually work with a string in a predictable manor.  The randomization of color placement doesn't work all that well and really makes no sense to me.  Vixen 3 does have the ability to do a 2 color alternating string so I may load it and see if I can get something set up in that in about a week for the Thanksgiving display which is fully static.  Once again, thanks for the help but it seems that displays like mine are not much of a concern for the new high end sequencing programs.

Offline jbskelton

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 09:32:49 PM »
Try node level sequencing On Effect and set your colors
John Skelton
South Bend, In

Offline deplanche

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 10:14:57 PM »
That is the problem, there is nothing special about this setup.  They are just plain window frames and that is all that is really in this setup so far.  There are 4 60 node frames for the upper windows, 6 66 node frames for the lower windows and a 80 node 3 sided frame for the front door.  All of the frames are RGB bullet nodes with C7 covers and are being controlled by SSC V3'.  All I want to do right now is set up the frames to look like static C7 multi-colored strings and just two colors for the Thanksgiving display alternating between orange and yellow.  For Christmas, I would like to go with 4 colors just like a C7 ican string would look but it appears that XLights does not have that ability and that is sad.  I did see the AC tools and they look like they would be helpful in some situations but not in this case.  What would be helpful there is to make some of the effects like candle and lightning compatible with single channel props or groups of single channel props or making the string function actually work with a string in a predictable manor.  The randomization of color placement doesn't work all that well and really makes no sense to me.  Vixen 3 does have the ability to do a 2 color alternating string so I may load it and see if I can get something set up in that in about a week for the Thanksgiving display which is fully static.  Once again, thanks for the help but it seems that displays like mine are not much of a concern for the new high end sequencing programs.

If you post your setup files, I'll see if I can add the effects you are looking for a post that back for you.  The effects you are asking for seems like they would be easily doable, but it depends on how you have thing set up.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 01:10:03 AM »
Try node level sequencing On Effect and set your colors

While this may work, It would also require me to set the color of each of the over 1900 nodes individually.  That would take far too long to do but your suggestion has lead me to the possible answer so thanks for replying.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 01:22:42 AM »
If you post your setup files, I'll see if I can add the effects you are looking for a post that back for you.  The effects you are asking for seems like they would be easily doable, but it depends on how you have thing set up.

Thank you very much for your offer and for listening to my whining but thanks to your and jbskelton's suggestions, I believe that I have come to the proper method to make things work.  I will know tomorrow and if so, I will post what happened and what I did to fix it incase others want do do the same thing for static parts of their displays.

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 05:27:06 AM »

Thank you very much for your offer and for listening to my whining but thanks to your and jbskelton's suggestions, I believe that I have come to the proper method to make things work.  I will know tomorrow and if so, I will post what happened and what I did to fix it incase others want do do the same thing for static parts of their displays.
I know this can be done using single strand effect similar the very first response in this thread.  It was asked several months ago in a thread and someone did it.   To change the windows all to one color you can either drop the ON effect with the right color onto either window groups or single windows.  You create an animation sequence of how ever long you want keeping in mind the time is seconds and then loop that short sequence during your show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 09:27:43 AM »

Single Stand Effect, use the Skip Tab.  Set Band size to 1, Skip size to 0, starting position can be anything, and the number of advances to 0.  Then pick the colors you want to use in the color window - based on your comments, you would set for red, blue, green and orange.
thanks for the suggestion but that doesn't work.  While it does set the nodes to the colors selected, it does it randomly and has multiple lights in a row the same color. 
deplanche's suggestion should work.  The only step he forgot to mention is to set the Layer Settings -> Render Style = Single Line.    I just tried it and it does what [I believe] you want.

Vixen 3 does have the ability to do a 2 color alternating string so I may load it and see if I can get something set up in that in about a week for the Thanksgiving display which is fully static.
Vixen 3 can do this with more than 2 colors.  The Alternating Effect defaults to 2 colors but you can add more.   I do something similar as you through Halloween-Thanksgiving.  Mostly static displays with a few selected colors (orange/purple for Halloween and orange/yellow/red for Fall/Thanksgiving).    Either software package can do it.  I happen to use Vixen for this effect because I find it easier to mix and save the special colors I want (fall colors tend to be a special blend) and to customize the static pattern if I want it different on different elements
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 09:34:09 AM by pixelpuppy »
Vixen and xLights for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / DIY controllers for everything else

Offline tbone321

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 11:21:58 AM »

deplanche's suggestion should work.  The only step he forgot to mention is to set the Layer Settings -> Render Style = Single Line.    I just tried it and it does what [I believe] you want.

You hit the nail on the head but I didn't know anything about this ability until I read this now and went looking for it.  Without setting the rendering style to single line, all vertical lines get the same color.  I got around this by creating horizontal strings of the same size (number of nodes) as my frames and giving them the same starting addresses as the frame they represent and then applied the effect to the string.  I guess that is a sort of back door method of changing the Rendering style.  It worked so I will leave it that way for now but will correct that for the Christmas display. 

Vixen 3 can do this with more than 2 colors.  The Alternating Effect defaults to 2 colors but you can add more.   I do something similar as you through Halloween-Thanksgiving.  Mostly static displays with a few selected colors (orange/purple for Halloween and orange/yellow/red for Fall/Thanksgiving).    Either software package can do it.  I happen to use Vixen for this effect because I find it easier to mix and save the special colors I want (fall colors tend to be a special blend) and to customize the static pattern if I want it different on different elements

I thought that it could but the manual doesn't really say that (it kinda hints at it) but when I tried to start Vixen to look, it crashed.  It is an older version and has been sitting for a while and is not configured completely so I don't blame it for failing and I didn't have time to download and install the current version and set things up.  I will do that later to see if it handles single channel props better than XLights.  Not a big deal now or for Christmas but is really needed for Halloween.  I have a grave yard scene that I want to use a few Aethers to create lightning bursts and some candles on a few graves that I want to make flicker.  Neither worked all that well in XLights.

Offline Gilrock

• Kudos: 8
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 10:24:47 AM »
The stuff were you trying to do is fairly simple.  You have an account on the xLights forum that would be a better place for these questions.  You can see there is not much activity here so we tend to not think about checking for new posts.