Author Topic: Falcon Player - Install Instructions - Beaglebones - dkulp image  (Read 821 times)

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 13
Re: Falcon Player - Install Instructions - Beaglebones - dkulp image
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2017, 04:19:54 PM »
I just pushed a new 20171110 image up that I hope resolves the WIFI issues.   It's basically the 0920 image with an updated kernel and a few other updated packages along with the latest FPP code.   I haven't done a lot of testing with it, but it does seem to bring up all three wifi adapters that I have.

What's also cool is this image boots on the PocketBeagle.   :)   
Dan Kulp

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 81
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2017, 05:38:12 AM »
I just pushed a new 20171110 image up that I hope resolves the WIFI issues.   It's basically the 0920 image with an updated kernel and a few other updated packages along with the latest FPP code.   I haven't done a lot of testing with it, but it does seem to bring up all three wifi adapters that I have.

What's also cool is this image boots on the PocketBeagle.   :)

I don't have a PocketBeagle to test with, but did reflash the eMMC on my working BBG (with BTRFS formatting of the uSD card)
Did not have to remove my Octoscroller since I didn't need to hold the S2 button. That was good.
Once it installed and I put my uSD card back in, a simple re-select in FPP Settings remounted and reloaded all my settings. That was good
I did try my WiPi dongle. It did not talk to it. Sorry, Jim.
It does like my Edimax and my DLink dongles, though.
The kernel version now matches with the other BBG I updated with your manual scripts.
These will be going in new P10 panels shortly. (one with ext4, the other with btrfs)

Offline dkulp

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2017, 08:26:50 AM »

I got the WiPi adapter on Saturday and was able to duplicate the issue.   For some reason, the WiPi adapter don't initially enable a "link" status so connman won't attempt to do anything with it.    However, from the command line, if you do a "ifconfig wlan0 down ; ifconfig wlan0 up; connmanctl scan wifi", it comes up.   I've gone ahead and updated the various boot scripts to do that if an IP address isn't detected.    Thus, it now comes up at boot.   However, if you just "stick it in" when up, it won't work without those commands run.   The side effect is that if you boot up without and network connection at all, it takes an extra 15 seconds or so as there is an additional loop after the down/up.   

BTW:  thanks everyone for the donations to xLights, I use part of my share of the donation money to buy things like P5/P10 panels and wifi adapters and beaglebones and such to test these things. Your money does help others.

Offline bassnbuck

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2017, 08:43:26 AM »
i have a couple of questions on this. right now my BBB is running version 1.7 i think and seems to be working.  this will be the first time running it in my show.  Should i do this update now?  if the answer is yes will i have to remove the whole thing from my panels to connect to the internet or can i just do a new formatted card with the new image?   

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 81
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2017, 08:50:32 AM »
To Dan (and Jim), the new update, Version: v1.9-bbb-91-ga480a91 (bbb-stretch-v1.x branch)  did pick up the WiPi and it is working well.

To bassnbuck, the best install method for this image would be to remove it and bring it inside. That is primarily because it installs the "easiest" if you connect it to a PC (Windows or Mac or Linux) via a USB cable so that you can get to the FPP interface without a working LAN or Wireless connection. The USB cable establishes a connection at 192.168.7.2 (Windows) on my computer that is great.

If your system is working on November 13, 2017 and you aren't the adventurous type, I'd leave it alone.

Me - I'd have yanked it already without asking. but that's just me.
This has been a much improved BBB, BBG install for me.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 41
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2017, 10:26:11 AM »
I've gone ahead and updated the various boot scripts to do that if an IP address isn't detected.    Thus, it now comes up at boot.   

A little clarification needed for this non programmer.  Does this mean I need to download a new image or does it mean I just need to do an update via the help about page or what?  I am unclear on how to get the new scripts installed.  btw I am still running the 920 image although I did download the 1110 image but put off installing it until after last weekends patriotic show ended.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP

Offline dkulp

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2017, 10:27:44 AM »
I've gone ahead and updated the various boot scripts to do that if an IP address isn't detected.    Thus, it now comes up at boot.   

A little clarification needed for this non programmer.  Does this mean I need to download a new image or does it mean I just need to do an update via the help about page or what?  I am unclear on how to get the new scripts installed.  btw I am still running the 920 image although I did download the 1110 image but put off installing it until after last weekends patriotic show ended.

This just needs a "Manual Update" (or automatic update) from the about page.   

Offline battle79

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2017, 02:52:56 PM »
Random slightly off topic question,
If I keep getting:

Stopping fppd...
==========================================================================
Pulling in updates...
/opt/fpp/scripts/git_pull: line 34: /tmp/output.txt: Permission denied
Restarting fppd...
Update Complete.

when I try to update with the manual update button, what should I start with for problem solving?
Remote git versions is showing unknown and its currently on version v1.9-bbb-85-g6066253

Thanks,
Rowan