Falcon Player - Install Instructions - Beaglebones - dkulp image

Author Topic: Falcon Player - Install Instructions - Beaglebones - dkulp image  (Read 6337 times)

Offline dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 35
Re: Falcon Player - Install Instructions - Beaglebones - dkulp image
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2017, 04:19:54 PM »
I just pushed a new 20171110 image up that I hope resolves the WIFI issues.   It's basically the 0920 image with an updated kernel and a few other updated packages along with the latest FPP code.   I haven't done a lot of testing with it, but it does seem to bring up all three wifi adapters that I have.

What's also cool is this image boots on the PocketBeagle.   :)   
Dan Kulp

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 89
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2017, 05:38:12 AM »
I just pushed a new 20171110 image up that I hope resolves the WIFI issues.   It's basically the 0920 image with an updated kernel and a few other updated packages along with the latest FPP code.   I haven't done a lot of testing with it, but it does seem to bring up all three wifi adapters that I have.

What's also cool is this image boots on the PocketBeagle.   :)

I don't have a PocketBeagle to test with, but did reflash the eMMC on my working BBG (with BTRFS formatting of the uSD card)
Did not have to remove my Octoscroller since I didn't need to hold the S2 button. That was good.
Once it installed and I put my uSD card back in, a simple re-select in FPP Settings remounted and reloaded all my settings. That was good
I did try my WiPi dongle. It did not talk to it. Sorry, Jim.
It does like my Edimax and my DLink dongles, though.
The kernel version now matches with the other BBG I updated with your manual scripts.
These will be going in new P10 panels shortly. (one with ext4, the other with btrfs)

Offline dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2017, 08:26:50 AM »

I got the WiPi adapter on Saturday and was able to duplicate the issue.   For some reason, the WiPi adapter don't initially enable a "link" status so connman won't attempt to do anything with it.    However, from the command line, if you do a "ifconfig wlan0 down ; ifconfig wlan0 up; connmanctl scan wifi", it comes up.   I've gone ahead and updated the various boot scripts to do that if an IP address isn't detected.    Thus, it now comes up at boot.   However, if you just "stick it in" when up, it won't work without those commands run.   The side effect is that if you boot up without and network connection at all, it takes an extra 15 seconds or so as there is an additional loop after the down/up.   

BTW:  thanks everyone for the donations to xLights, I use part of my share of the donation money to buy things like P5/P10 panels and wifi adapters and beaglebones and such to test these things. Your money does help others.

Offline bassnbuck

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2017, 08:43:26 AM »
i have a couple of questions on this. right now my BBB is running version 1.7 i think and seems to be working.  this will be the first time running it in my show.  Should i do this update now?  if the answer is yes will i have to remove the whole thing from my panels to connect to the internet or can i just do a new formatted card with the new image?   

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2017, 08:50:32 AM »
To Dan (and Jim), the new update, Version: v1.9-bbb-91-ga480a91 (bbb-stretch-v1.x branch)  did pick up the WiPi and it is working well.

To bassnbuck, the best install method for this image would be to remove it and bring it inside. That is primarily because it installs the "easiest" if you connect it to a PC (Windows or Mac or Linux) via a USB cable so that you can get to the FPP interface without a working LAN or Wireless connection. The USB cable establishes a connection at 192.168.7.2 (Windows) on my computer that is great.

If your system is working on November 13, 2017 and you aren't the adventurous type, I'd leave it alone.

Me - I'd have yanked it already without asking. but that's just me.
This has been a much improved BBB, BBG install for me.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 50
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2017, 10:26:11 AM »
I've gone ahead and updated the various boot scripts to do that if an IP address isn't detected.    Thus, it now comes up at boot.   

A little clarification needed for this non programmer.  Does this mean I need to download a new image or does it mean I just need to do an update via the help about page or what?  I am unclear on how to get the new scripts installed.  btw I am still running the 920 image although I did download the 1110 image but put off installing it until after last weekends patriotic show ended.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA Falcon and Lynx, all 12v Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2017, 10:27:44 AM »
I've gone ahead and updated the various boot scripts to do that if an IP address isn't detected.    Thus, it now comes up at boot.   

A little clarification needed for this non programmer.  Does this mean I need to download a new image or does it mean I just need to do an update via the help about page or what?  I am unclear on how to get the new scripts installed.  btw I am still running the 920 image although I did download the 1110 image but put off installing it until after last weekends patriotic show ended.

This just needs a "Manual Update" (or automatic update) from the about page.   

Offline battle79

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2017, 02:52:56 PM »
Random slightly off topic question,
If I keep getting:

Stopping fppd...
==========================================================================
Pulling in updates...
/opt/fpp/scripts/git_pull: line 34: /tmp/output.txt: Permission denied
Restarting fppd...
Update Complete.

when I try to update with the manual update button, what should I start with for problem solving?
Remote git versions is showing unknown and its currently on version v1.9-bbb-85-g6066253

Thanks,
Rowan

Offline Broomy111

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2018, 10:52:37 AM »
Hi Guy's,

Putting an image on a new BBB, and which version should I be using.  I ran the bbb-fpp-master-apache-20180311.zip and seems to be running fine, except I received an error with the Etcher app detected potential corruption issues when reading back from the drive.

Thanks

Kevin

Offline dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2018, 11:13:09 AM »
Putting an image on a new BBB, and which version should I be using.  I ran the bbb-fpp-master-apache-20180311.zip and seems to be running fine, except I received an error with the Etcher app detected potential corruption issues when reading back from the drive.

That's the version to use.  No idea on the etcher thing.   I'll try and take a look.   I haven't been using the image writers lately and instead have just been using "dd" from the command line as it's faster and easier for me.  :)

Offline Broomy111

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2018, 01:17:41 PM »

That's the version to use.  No idea on the etcher thing.   I'll try and take a look.   I haven't been using the image writers lately and instead have just been using "dd" from the command line as it's faster and easier for me.  :)

Thanks Dan.  I will keep you posted but I'm not seeing anything wrong with the FPP after receiving that message from Etcher.  I tried image 20180118 and received the same Etcher error message.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2018, 07:04:48 AM »
Dan, I don't have any BBBW or BBGW boards, just the non-wireless.
I thought I'd try the newest BTRFS image and would see the Tethering connection.  No luck. I "assumed" it would see my Edimax on the BBG but it did not.
Any way to make that happen on the BBB or BBG ?  (I realize it would require a new image to be available at initial startup)

Also of note as I work with this BTRFS image for testing.

It did show up as 192.168.7.2 on my Chromebook when powered by a USB cable. That was convenient. I don't have another laptop unless I borrow my wife's.

But - it did not show any options in FPP Settings Advanced to allow me to Flash to eMMC (I even rebooted using the S2 hold down) and didn't let me expand the storage to full size (I am using a 32gb Samsung uSD).

oooops - surprise - after Manual Update to the latest (started at 622, now at 640), those options are all listed.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 08:01:01 PM by JonB256 »

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2018, 08:01:26 PM »
and while I'm "playing" with the newest BBB images, don't waste time using the BTRFS image and then try to Flash to eMMC. Just won't go.
I don't remember reading it but it seems that the two newest images (BTRFS and EXT4) for the Beagles are intended to run from uSD, not eMMC.
(dan, if you read this, perhaps you can confirm).

I'm still happy that I can access a Beagle from my Chromebook at 192.168.7.2

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 20
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2018, 08:18:42 PM »
and while I'm "playing" with the newest BBB images, don't waste time using the BTRFS image and then try to Flash to eMMC. Just won't go.
I don't remember reading it but it seems that the two newest images (BTRFS and EXT4) for the Beagles are intended to run from uSD, not eMMC.
(dan, if you read this, perhaps you can confirm).

I'm still happy that I can access a Beagle from my Chromebook at 192.168.7.2

I posted  the same issue here http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,9175.msg85707.html#msg85707

The btrfs SD image is only needed for running from uSD with a btrfs file system.  The ext4 image is fine for flashing to eMMC and you can even select the BTRFS option to create a btrfs file system on eMMC and that works  I think its just a simple typo in the script on the btrfs SD image but I  dont think Dan had a chance to look at it yet.  The btrfs SD image works great on PocketBeagles (which is what I primarily wanted it for).  But it would be nice (not necessary but nice) to have one for the Pi too.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 08:48:51 PM by pixelpuppy »
xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / DIY controllers for everything else

Offline dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2018, 01:51:58 PM »
I think this is now fixed.  Force an update first, then flash.