Falcon Player - Install Instructions - Beaglebones - dkulp image

Author Topic: Falcon Player - Install Instructions - Beaglebones - dkulp image  (Read 6287 times)

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 19
Re: Falcon Player - Install Instructions - Beaglebones - dkulp image
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2018, 02:47:20 PM »

I think this is now fixed.  Force an update first, then flash.

Thanks for looking at this Dan.  I tried it again.  Different error, but still fails.  I started with the 0717-btrfs SD image, booted off the SD card and forced the manual update to -641.  Then I did FPP -> Advanced Settings -> "Flash To eMMC - BTRFS Root"

It started with the same error as before, but after a ton of files copied, it froze with a different error and never went further...

---------------------------------------
Creating mount points and mounting rootfs
---------------------------------------
Copy files rootfs

sending incremental file list
rsync: link_stat "/lost+found" failed: No such file or directory (2)
ID.txt
bin/
bin/bash
bin/btr
{lots of files copied}
  DTC     src/arm/univ-emmc-00A0.dtbo

DTC     src/arm/univ-hdmi-00A0.dtbo
  DTC     src/arm/univ-nhdmi-00A0.dtbo
mkdir: cannot create directory '/tmp/rootfs/boot/lib': File exists

The script stops/freezes at this point and never goes further.
xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / DIY controllers for everything else

Offline dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 35
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2018, 07:44:07 AM »

OK.  This should hopefully now be fixed. 
Dan Kulp

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 89
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2018, 08:54:02 AM »
Yes, it seems to be good (shall I say, "So far!")

The 642 update did successfully let the BTRFS image write to eMMC

The difference in Root Space free on the BTRFS image is just over 1GB more

Root Free Space:   1.34 GiB (39%) normal eMMC free space
Root Free Space:   2.42 GiB (69%) btrfs eMMC free space

« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 09:11:21 AM by JonB256 »

Offline pixelpuppy

« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2018, 10:38:40 AM »
The 642 update did successfully let the BTRFS image write to eMMC
I concur with Jon but with 1 minor issue remaining.   What I'm seeing is the 0717-btrfs SD image (updated to 642) can successfully "Flash to eMMC-BTRFS root". However, it still fails when choosing "Flash to eMMC" (without the BTRFS root option).  The script completes, but the eMMC is not bootable.    This is minor as for me since the 0717-ext4 SD image flashes both methods just fine. Jon, can you try using the btrfs SD image and try the Flash to eMMC (normal flash option, not BTRFS root) and see if you get a bootable ext4 file system on the eMMC?  (i.e. BTRFS image booted on the SD card, but attempting to Flash ext4 onto eMMC)
Jon, can you try using the btrfs SD image and try the Flash to eMMC (normal flash option, not BTRFS root) and see if you get a bootable ext4 file system on the eMMC?  (i.e. BTRFS image booted on the SD card, but attempting to Flash ext4 onto eMMC)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 02:36:58 PM by pixelpuppy »

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2018, 10:40:47 AM »
Jon, can you try using the btrfs SD image and try the Flash to eMMC (normal flash option, not BTRFS root) and see if you get a bootable ext4 file system on the eMMC?  (i.e. BTRFS image booted on the SD card, but attempting to Flash ext4 onto eMMC)

Will try shortly - but have a question - when I begin a Flash to eMMC, the browser keeps listing all the hundreds of files being copied to the eMMC.
Does the browser window need to stay open to continue? (i.e., is the browser doing anything?) and if it isn't needed, is it just slowing down the process? (because you know it's done with the BBB goes dark)

ps, I'm in process now and did close that browser, so we'll see. Don't know about the timing, though. It always seems to take forever. :)

Offline pixelpuppy

« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2018, 01:26:02 PM »
Does the browser window need to stay open to continue? (i.e., is the browser doing anything?) and if it isn't needed, is it just slowing down the process? (because you know it's done with the BBB goes dark)

ps, I'm in process now and did close that browser, so we'll see. Don't know about the timing, though. It always seems to take forever. :)

I'm not certain, but my guess is if you CLOSE the window it kills the script because that is the output pipe for that process.  However, it should be no problem to MINIMIZE the window and let it keep running while you do other things.  For me, the Flash to eMMC using ext4 takes about 10-15 minutes and the Flash to eMMC using btrfs takes about 15-20 minutes.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2018, 01:39:17 PM »
It did fail when I killed the browser.
Always wondered. Now I know.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline pixelpuppy

« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2018, 02:26:04 PM »
What I'm seeing is the 0717-btrfs SD image (updated to 642) can successfully "Flash to eMMC-BTRFS root". However, it still fails when choosing "Flash to eMMC" (without the BTRFS root option).  The script completes, but the eMMC is not bootable. 

UPDATE: I tried it again with the newly-released -646 update and it appears to be fixed - thanks Dan!  :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 02:37:26 PM by pixelpuppy »

Offline Stormyblade

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2018, 04:26:50 PM »
I seem to be having major issues with my BBB and matrix and am wondering if I can get some help.

For some time now, I have been using the v2.x-master-613-g4d764533 (master branch) version and it works...mostly...on my BBB. However, as I am trying to do different tests and output different things, I am noticing that my BBB doesn't respond to fpp/ requests from my computer after processing any type of testing/output, or it takes an incredibly long time to respond, or I have to try to refresh several times before it finally works. Could this be related to the image version I am using? I was thinking maybe I should update to another version listed on Dan's website, perhaps the one dated 9 July as I don't want to try playing with the 'flash to eMMC' option as none of those have worked successfully for me in the past.

Could there be another issue that causes my BBB/matrix to go unresponsive - perhaps a corrupted SD card or something? (I use the SD card as both the image OS and data storage - I do not use a USB device.)

Thanks.

Offline pixelpuppy

« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2018, 04:58:16 PM »
I was thinking maybe I should update to another version listed on Dan's website, perhaps the one dated 9 July as I don't want to try playing with the 'flash to eMMC' option as none of those have worked successfully for me in the past.

Could there be another issue that causes my BBB/matrix to go unresponsive - perhaps a corrupted SD card or something? (I use the SD card as both the image OS and data storage - I do not use a USB device.)

My recommendation whenever you are having issues is to always go to the latest image that the Developers released and see if the issue is fixed.  That means going to the 20180717 build for the BBB's or 20180709 build for Pi's.  Dan put a lot of performance improvements in his current BBB builds.  Even if you don't use the Flash to eMMC feature, the newest builds are still the best place to start.  I can't speak specifically to the performance issue you're seeing, but Dan's new images sure do boot up really fast  ;D

Also, without trying not to sound like a broken record, but how good/fast is your SD card?  Make sure it is Class 10 of a quality brand - especially since you are using it for both the OS and Data.

Offline Stormyblade

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2018, 05:08:19 PM »
I was thinking maybe I should update to another version listed on Dan's website, perhaps the one dated 9 July as I don't want to try playing with the 'flash to eMMC' option as none of those have worked successfully for me in the past.

My recommendation whenever you are having issues is to always go to the latest image that the Developers released and see if the issue is fixed.  That means going to the 20180717 build for the BBB's or 20180709 build for Pi's.  Dan put a lot of performance improvements in his current BBB builds.  Even if you don't use the Flash to eMMC feature, the newest builds are still the best place to start.  I can't speak specifically to the performance issue you're seeing, but Dan's new images sure do boot up really fast  ;D

Also, without trying not to sound like a broken record, but how good/fast is your SD card?  Make sure it is Class 10 of a quality brand - especially since you are using it for both the OS and Data.

I'll try a recent image and see if that helps.

I'm running SanDisk Ultra, class 10, 16GB as my SD cards.