Author Topic: FM is dying, other options?  (Read 172 times)

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 12
FM is dying, other options?
« on: November 10, 2017, 09:22:57 AM »
I am out of the FPP loop but saw a post on another forum and thought I'd ask anyway.  Anyway to somehow allow audio to be accessed via IP or other for non-radio folks (anyone under 40 LOL)? 
Sam

Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 81
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: FM is dying, other options?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 04:21:15 PM »
I am out of the FPP loop but saw a post on another forum and thought I'd ask anyway.  Anyway to somehow allow audio to be accessed via IP or other for non-radio folks (anyone under 40 LOL)?

The delay induced by putting over IP would be terrible. I had a similar problem with someones car last year. Their very new radio had a hard drive in it so they could "replay" something they missed. They didn't know it, but they had induced a 15second delay in their radio. It was crazy. I got them to push a button to stop their replay and it went back to real time. My cable tv box can do the same thing.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 12
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 08:39:38 AM »
Makes sense.  I didn't know there was a delay.  Speaking of cable and delay...  One of our TV's has a premium box and it is about 15s "sooner" than the others.  Kinda funny.  Walk out of the den and the kitchen TV is on same channel and it's like instant reply.  LOL.     

Offline Nicklanigan

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 08:41:51 PM »
I'm a touch over 40, so only slightly offended 😭...

I tried using Facebook streaming, as well as one of the internet radio streaming tools.

As mentioned, the delay is the killer - both had a few seconds, and it isn't always consistent.

At this stage I think you'd end up with too many variables - different phones, versions of apps etc, all of which will result in a different latency. I'm definitely keeping an eye on the options though - a year is a long time in the smartphone and app field.

Right now, hard to beat FM for ease of use across the board.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk