Author Topic: Pi and FPP won't boot  (Read 97 times)

Offline pmiller

• Kudos: 0
Pi and FPP won't boot
« on: November 11, 2017, 01:28:17 PM »
My Pi' s and FPP are going strong. This is about a friend I was helping. A few weeks ago he got a Pi3 and I set up FPP for him. Everything worked fine for about 2 weeks and he said he couldn't connect to FPP. He was over yesterday and sure enough I couldn't connect so I reinstalled FPP, shut down and rebooted several times without a hitch. Today I get a call he can't connect to FPP. He was able to a few times but now he can't. Any idea why FPP is getting corrupt? I assuming that's what the issue is.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 81
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: Pi and FPP won't boot
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 02:01:44 PM »
He is just killing power to it to turn it off. Particularly if logging is enabled and if a sequence is running, killing power will corrupt the FAT32 formatted storage media.

Show him how to do a shutdown from a PC or Smartphone.

Offline pmiller

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 02:12:07 PM »
He is just killing power to it to turn it off. Particularly if logging is enabled and if a sequence is running, killing power will corrupt the FAT32 formatted storage media.

Show him how to do a shutdown from a PC or Smartphone.
I just got a call from him. He got it running again. He trashed everything on the thumb drive and plugged it back in. FPP booted. I did instruct him about shutting down via FPP button at the bottom. I instructed him also when he all his setting to make a backup of the thumb drive.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Offline danj

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 09:08:12 AM »
Is the "best way" to turn the PI off (e.g., if you need to power it down for some reason) doing the shutdown command, to minimize the risk of corrupting drives?
I may need to power down sometimes and I want to do it correctly.
Thanks.

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 35
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 09:43:07 AM »
That is what the button on the bottom of the FPP screens does.  Just make sure to give the PI time to close its files and shut down.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 41
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 11:23:50 AM »
If you cannot get to the web gui or just don't have time to get to a PC and get access, just try to make sure there has been nothing being run in the last minute or so.  You want the Pi to be in a quiet wait state which hopefully means that there is nothing go on that is writing to the uSD at the moment.  But the safest way is to use the web gui.

I am not a purest at using the web gui and have powered off my Pis (and I have a bunch of them) many times by pulling power.  I might be lucky, but so far so good.  Again the web gui is the safest.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP

Offline danj

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 08:07:47 PM »
I am feeling cautious here because I had quite a bit of difficulty with TWO SD cards--took me many times with both in series, then tried a brand new one and all is good.   Both of those SDs are gone and both FPPs running great with different SD cards.   I just want to do whatever I can to avoid "fighting" with the FPPs/SD cards/USB drives.   Thanks for the replies and for letting me camp onto this post.