Author Topic: FPP Pi3, Possible to Bridge Interfaces?  (Read 156 times)

Offline jchuchla

• Kudos: 0
FPP Pi3, Possible to Bridge Interfaces?
« on: November 11, 2017, 10:01:24 PM »
Is it possible to bridge the wlan0 and eth0 interfaces on the rPi 3 to act as a transparent network bridge/switch? 

The application is that I have a slave FPP driving a projector.  The FPP is connected to the show network via WiFi (because of the location, and because it's just a slave) And i'd like to use the eth0 interface connected to the projector to bring it onto the same network for control and monitoring.

I've searched the topic and it gets lost in search results due to FPP's bridge mode being something different.  But in what I did read I think it may not be possible via the FPP gui.  Or at least not in the past, or not easily.  But can it be done manually?

Offline darylc

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 4
Re: FPP Pi3, Possible to Bridge Interfaces?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 11:51:05 PM »
You can probably do it manually.  I've not done it, but if I needed to, I'd run:

sudo apt-get install bridge-utils

then play around with brctl, create a br0 and add the wifi & eth0 into it.

Offline jchuchla

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 12:51:11 PM »
It seems that any edits I make to etc/network/interfaces automatically get overwritten at bootup by the file etc/network/interfaces.FPP.  Also, if I edit that manually, it still seems to go back at boot.

Offline darylc

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 4
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 04:38:22 AM »
You can get around that, heck schedule a script in a playlist to set it all up if you can't find somewhere persistent to put it all.

Offline jchuchla

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 06:50:57 AM »
Im not exactly a Linux expert. I kinda assumed those lines would need to be in there at boot. Will they automatically take effect if those files get edited at any time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 142
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 12:40:54 AM »
It seems that any edits I make to etc/network/interfaces automatically get overwritten at bootup by the file etc/network/interfaces.FPP.  Also, if I edit that manually, it still seems to go back at boot.

You need to edit /etc/network/interfaces.default and remove any /home/fpp/media/config/interface.* files.  FPP reads the interface.* files at boot and recreates the interfaces file.  If you don't have any interface.* files, then the startup script uses the /etc/network/interfaces.default file instead.
-
Chris

Offline jchuchla

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 06:58:56 AM »
Chris,
If I remove the that fpp line in the interfaces.default, will that prevent any interface edits from the fpp GUI?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 142
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 11:52:45 PM »
If I remove the that fpp line in the interfaces.default, will that prevent any interface edits from the fpp GUI?

No, it won't stop you from changing things in the GUI, but if you edit in the GUI, that itself will override the interfaces.default file at startup and the FPP init script will create a interfaces.fpp file and copy that to /etc/network/interfaces.