Author Topic: Which files get uploaded where?  (Read 127 times)

Offline pmiller

• Kudos: 0
Which files get uploaded where?
« on: November 12, 2017, 11:31:44 AM »
This is my first year using a Pi3 remote. I have yet to test but I'm planning on everything to be up and running a week before thanksgiving. That gives me time to resolve any issues that might arise.
I have a Pi2 which will be my show Pi. The Pi3 will run a P10. When I upload the fseq files, do I upload only to the Pi2 or all files to both Pi's?
If I have this correct, when setting up channel outputs, I only enter on the Pi2 the universes and channels it will be using and enter on the Pi3 the channels and universes it will be playing.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 41
Re: Which files get uploaded where?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 06:39:42 PM »
All Pis - master and remote get the all fseqs, although you don't have to do that, but if you put them on the master and tell the master to sync the remotes that is what will happen anyway.  Music only goes on the master which is where you connect the FM transmitter.  I just configure all my Pi's master and remote to see all universes.  Just one less thing to manage.  I name all my remotes something easy to remember like megatree, minis, arches, master, matrix, P10, etc.  Do not use any spaces or special characters in the names.  As your show grows keep a spreadsheet to keep track of controller and Pi info.  I have 12 Pis and 2 BBBs, it is easy to forget which is configured for what.  I have labels on all my Pis and controllers for their dns name.  I also put tiny little labels on each uSD and the USB drive to remind me which Pi they are configured for.  Started that after I had multiple laying on a table and realized I had forgot which one went with which Pi.  The things you learn.

My spreadsheet has columns as follows:  Name, DNS name, status, FPP ver, eth0 config, wlan config, controller type, 1st chan, tot chans, end chan, props connected.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP

Offline pmiller

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 09:46:33 PM »
All Pis - master and remote get the all fseqs, although you don't have to do that, but if you put them on the master and tell the master to sync the remotes that is what will happen anyway.  Music only goes on the master which is where you connect the FM transmitter.  I just configure all my Pi's master and remote to see all universes.  Just one less thing to manage.  I name all my remotes something easy to remember like megatree, minis, arches, master, matrix, P10, etc.  Do not use any spaces or special characters in the names.  As your show grows keep a spreadsheet to keep track of controller and Pi info.  I have 12 Pis and 2 BBBs, it is easy to forget which is configured for what.  I have labels on all my Pis and controllers for their dns name.  I also put tiny little labels on each uSD and the USB drive to remind me which Pi they are configured for.  Started that after I had multiple laying on a table and realized I had forgot which one went with which Pi.  The things you learn.

My spreadsheet has columns as follows:  Name, DNS name, status, FPP ver, eth0 config, wlan config, controller type, 1st chan, tot chans, end chan, props connected.

I also have a ton of spreadsheets including Renard connections showing the Renard output and the controller patch number. I even print out the network file Vixen generates when making the fseq file. I edit it by adding the universe numbers.
A couple of more days to get props up and I should be ready to go. Should find out by this weekend if my master and remote play nice. BTW, I also take screenshots of my controller web setup and the Vixen setups.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 09:54:14 PM by pmiller »

Offline pmiller

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 07:09:21 PM »
"I just configure all my Pi's master and remote to see all universes."

So you're entering the same universes and channel output configuration on both or all your Pi's  even when a particular Pi doesn't use them? So for me I have 31 universes on my master and 48 universes on my remote. The remote only runs the P10. I would put all 79 universes on both the master and remote? Is there an advantage to that? Just seems like more work to enter the same info on the remote when it's not being used. 

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 41
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 08:01:02 PM »
It is not much work when I just type in 112 in the universe bucket and it set.  There is one extra digit I have to type vs 64 but I can deal with it.  I have 12 Pis and 2 BeagleBones currently confgured and attached to varius controllers.  It is much more work to try to keep track of which universes are really needed in each FPP instance.  Especially hard for me since I use absolute addressing and have yet to learn how to think in universes and therefor pay no attention to them unless xlight tells me I don't have enought channels configured.  Then I just add however many universes makes the error message go away.  LOL

Most of my FPP instances do not have anything attached to the ethernet port so there is no output to configure.  Only the ones attache to my 4 F16s need the output configured.