Author Topic: having problem with mega tree  (Read 435 times)

Offline enjoylife22

• Kudos: 0
having problem with mega tree
« on: November 13, 2017, 08:44:22 PM »
I am having issues with my mega tree flickering.  I don't know where to even start.  When I run the test I will get some of the strands start to flicker and then go raindow flicker.  I soldered the 3 pin connectors on to some cat 5 and 6 cable.  I can move cords around and get some to stop doing it.  I unplugged a few and it seemed to stop it a little bit.  Could it be a power supply?  I have two power supplies running the board, I have fan on and both power supplies dialed to 12v exactly.  I can turn up the power supplies but I don't know what the max power to board is so I don't want to wreck board so not messing with that.  I am hoping someone can help.

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 45
Re: having problem with mega tree
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 09:47:00 PM »
It sounds to me like you don't have enough power for the strings.  What is the setup for your Mega Tree, IOW, how many strings and how many nodes per string.  I don't know what you mean by turning up the supplies but if you are referring to increasing voltage, that is a really bad idea that can result in loss of the entire string.

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 15
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 11:29:45 PM »
To me it sounds like you have power issues that could stem from using cat5/cat6 cable. If you're using that for power rather than heavy figure 8 or 3 core cable then you have to expect that you'll get voltage drop issues. If you fade the entire tree up from black to 100% white and down again and get pink pixels occurring and/or pixels latching on then you don't have enough copper in the cables.
You can call me AAH, you can call me Al, or you can call me Alan.
http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/wp-content/uploads/Catalogue.pdf Catalogue
http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/

Online jhoybs

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 04:54:41 AM »
CAT5/6 may be good for long data runs, but it isn't great for power.  CAT5/6 (3 conductors) will drop more voltage than 18 gauge wire.  http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html
Jim H.
Muskego, WI
Falcon F16v3, PiCap, FPPs. Lynx Expresses, xLights

Offline danj

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 10:49:42 AM »
I have seen some posts either here or over at DIYC forum that it is actually a bit better to dial your PSU slightly below 12V.  I have all mine adjusted to around 11.8V as measured on the PSU terminals.   But I would like others to weigh-in on that one...   I have very successfully used cat5 for several years now and plan to continue to use it for all my props.   Again, I think it was either on this forum or DIYC forum that I read to twist all the solid colors together for negative/ground, twist the striped gr/wt, br/wt, & bl/wt together & use as positive, and to use org/wt for data.   I have found that config to work really well even for fairly long runs (55' last year from F16V2R with no null pixel needed, after I had a controller fail so had to run a long lead across my driveway...).   I hope this helps.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 48
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 12:36:21 PM »
I have used cat5 for power and data for over 40ft.  No problem.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Falcon and Lynx, all 12v
Multisync with Pi and BBB
P10 and P5

Offline corey872

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 16
    • Link to the sale...
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 01:21:50 PM »
Sounds like the typical ground line loading issues... you put so much current on the ground that it floats up to 1-2 volts and the nodes can no longer get a good data signal.  Several ways to attack the issue - several already mentioned:

1) Bigger conductors and/or dedicated ground lines.  This simply lowers wiring resistance and reduces voltage drops / ground loads.

2) Shorter runs - again, same as above.

3) Limit brightness through software / sequencing techniques - especially 'all white' which draws the most power.

4) Lower power supply voltage.  Effectively the same as #3 - you're simply limiting input power so the power on the ground line falls into 'acceptable' levels.

5) Install a uAmp in the data line to clean/process the data and re-level it to the 'loaded' ground line.

Obviously there are benefits / detriments to almost any method of fixing the issue.  But hopefully one will work out best for your scenario.
Corey

2018 uSC, Afterburner, uAmp co-op - pending May-June 2018.
Remaining boards are now FOR SALE

Offline enjoylife22

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 07:47:40 PM »
Thanks all for the comments. It was voltage drop issue. I just needed up using 3 core wire.  I will do the twisting the 4 together for power and three for groun and only one for data. This will be just as good as 3 wire I would assume as 4 small cat wires will be about the same as 18 wire i would assume. I do like the ease of 3 wire but have a ton of cat five i would hat to throw away.