Author Topic: Newbie Help  (Read 119 times)

Offline toml8345

• Kudos: 0
Newbie Help
« on: November 14, 2017, 09:36:25 AM »
I bought a Pi B+ v1.2 two years ago and sucessfully installed FPP, but I never did implement the solution.  Last year I did not do a light show, so I am pulling out my equipment and updating for the changes I made to my display and controllers.

When I sucessfully connected to FPP this year it was running v1.0.  It was suggested I update the software, so I pulled the SD card and formatted it per the instructions and also formatted the USB thumb drive I had dedicated to the system.  I loaded FPP v1.8 per the instructions in the manual, installed the SD card and Thumb Drive and applied power to the Pi.  At this point I am lost.  I do not know if I was sucessful in reinstalling FPP and cannot see the device anywhere on my network to get to the UI.

Help, what am I missing?

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 35
Re: Newbie Help
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 05:21:48 PM »
First, check the image that you put on the SD card and make sure that you have the image for your PI.  IIRC, if you are using the PI3 image, it won't even boot.  Then connect the PI to a HDMI monitor or TV and power it up.  Then you can follow the boot sequence or lack of one too where it fails and report back how far it got.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 81
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 05:40:33 PM »
I loaded FPP v1.8 per the instructions in the manual, installed the SD card and Thumb Drive and applied power to the Pi.  At this point I am lost.  I do not know if I was sucessful in reinstalling FPP and cannot see the device anywhere on my network to get to the UI.

Do you have a CAT5 cable connected to the Pi and to your router? It will try very hard to get a DHCP address from your router. It will NOT get that from your PC if that is what you are connected to.

Offline toml8345

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 08:47:28 PM »
I loaded FPP v1.8 per the instructions in the manual, installed the SD card and Thumb Drive and applied power to the Pi.  At this point I am lost.  I do not know if I was sucessful in reinstalling FPP and cannot see the device anywhere on my network to get to the UI.

Do you have a CAT5 cable connected to the Pi and to your router? It will try very hard to get a DHCP address from your router. It will NOT get that from your PC if that is what you are connected to.
So I need to connect the Pi to my router when I do the initial boot?  I missed that in the instructions.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 81
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 09:01:51 PM »
Toward the very end of the installation, after creating all the needed partitions, the Pi will try to get an IP address via DHCP.
You can see it on screen if you have one connected
or hear it announced if you have speakers connected.

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 35
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 11:19:59 AM »
But even if it can't get one, it will not hang there forever and should go to its default address.  The problem is that it's default address may not be in the same network space as your network and if not, you will not see it.  Make sure that the PI is plugged into your network during the install.  This will also allow FPP to perform any needed updates during the install.

Offline DustinAZ

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 02:24:14 PM »
Connect a monitor to the Pi and see where its at during boot up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk