Author Topic: Reciever not working  (Read 802 times)

Offline sawyerbrownlive

• Kudos: 0
Reciever not working
« on: November 21, 2017, 06:12:01 PM »
I got a new receiver a couple of months ago. I started using it and testing about 2 weeks ago. At that time, all 4 ports were acting erratically. After some messing around I realized that when I touched the cat5, things would change. I eventually found a sweet spot and got the 4 ports to work.  This happened a couple of different times, but each time I found the sweet spot and got it working.  Tonight....nothing on 1 of the ports. I've used 2 new cat5 cables and not matter what I do, 3 work and 1 just blinks random colors at random times. Is there something I can try to get it working? I don't mind exchanging it or buying a new one, but i'm assuming it would get shipped tomorrow and not be here till Saturday or even Monday. I usually go live on thanksgiving night.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 86
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: Reciever not working
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 09:00:57 PM »
The receiver board is pretty simple in layout and components. Use a magnifying glass and closely examine the solder points on the bottom of the board. Since you changed CAT5 cables without fixing the problem, then the troubleshooting moves to the two chips or the four green sockets.

Check that the pins inside the green sockets is not bent or shorter than the others.

Flickering can be caused by low voltage, too. Connections must be good and voltage should be between 12.0v and 11.5vdc
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 08:55:27 AM by JonB256 »

Offline sawyerbrownlive

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 07:47:29 AM »
Thanks for your response. I'll do as you say when I get home around noon.  I did move each pigtail to ensure that it was the port and not the pigtail or lights. It was always port 1 being the problem. How do I swap the chips? Does that require me to de-solder? I can do that if need be, but I don't want to further damage the board as ports 2,3 and 4 still work. I did look inside the socket output and the pins look good...to my eye which really doesn't know what it's looking for. I'm not really getting flickering...for instance. When I test with a white ramp (or anything), output 1 has 4 or 5 lights blinking different colors. Or I can occasionally get the entire prop to come on and have every color under the sun on that prop.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 69
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 08:04:52 AM »
Also look inside the connector for receiver and make sure the pins have not jumped their track.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline sawyerbrownlive

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 08:16:12 AM »
I just placed an order to replace this one, plus a couple more (for next year and to make shipping charges worth it!). Any chance that can go out today?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 08:40:54 AM »
How do I swap the chips? Does that require me to de-solder?

deleted - bad info for the receiver board :(
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 08:56:19 AM by JonB256 »

Offline sawyerbrownlive

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 08:49:00 AM »
Ok, perfect. I'll do that as soon as I get home. If it is the chip...or even if I discover that it's the output socket...where can I get replacements? What kind of local stores would have that?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 08:53:30 AM »
Ok, perfect. I'll do that as soon as I get home. If it is the chip...or even if I discover that it's the output socket...where can I get replacements? What kind of local stores would have that?

Forget all that. I just looked and they are NOT the same chips, so swapping would not be helpful and might be BAD.

I'm going to delete that from my earlier posts. Should have looked first but didn't have good enough lighting at the time.

Offline sawyerbrownlive

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 09:02:02 AM »
LOL, ok. Good catch and thanks for sharing.  I'll inspect the solder joints and if I need to, re-solder. I'll also check the cat5 connector pins.

Offline sawyerbrownlive

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 08:15:24 AM »
Problem persists. I received new boards yesterday (bought enough to make shipping costs worth it, will use next year) and I quickly swapped the used board for a new one. Same problem, same spot. Again, I can move the 4 connectors around and the problem is ALWAYS on output #2. So I know it's not the lights or pigtail.  I checked voltage and got a reading of 12.3.  If I jiggle the cat5 where it connects to the board...or one of the connectors between the receiver and F16v2, I can get all the outputs to do some random patterns and flickering. Luckily I can get outputs 1, 3, and 4 to go back to normal.  I have a run of 85' between the receiver and F16. I have a brand new 50' and brand new 25' with a used connector between them. I also have a 10' used cat5 with used connector here. So I'm now guessing that my problem rests in having too many connectors, used at that. Seems unlikely to me, but my troubleshooting has led me here.  Does that sound reasonable to you all or is there something else I'm missing?

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 48
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 08:54:31 AM »
I have read several posts where folks have reported that getting rid of multiple cables with connectors and going to one long cable cleared up problems.  Just passing info on.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Falcon and Lynx, all 12v
Multisync with Pi and BBB
P10 and P5

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 09:10:26 AM »
You need an 85ft cable, not a patched together cable. Each joint has some signal loss and data reflection.

Offline sawyerbrownlive

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 09:38:17 AM »
Ok, thanks guys. I have a neighbor working on building me 1 long cable and doing away with multiple cables. I hope to try it out this evening.  Thanks for the input.

Offline TNF250

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 10:23:21 AM »
I checked voltage and got a reading of 12.3.

I cant remember the issues when voltage is to high but it may be contributing to the issue. You will need to adjust between 12.0 and 11.5.
Zane
Springfield, TN

X-Lights - RPi3 - FPP - Falcon - DLA Lynx

Offline sawyerbrownlive

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 10:27:17 AM »
How in the world do I do that?

Ok, I looked it up. I'll see if I have that ability when I get home this afternoon.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 10:37:22 AM by sawyerbrownlive »