Author Topic: (FOUND) WTB: Falcon Magic Smoke Injector w/ 16 cans of magic smoke OR 8-16 P10  (Read 393 times)

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 178
I find myself in need of one of the new Falcon MSI (Magic Smoke Injector) devices.  Does anyone have one of these available including 8-16 cans of magic smoke?  I might need fewer than that, but I don't have time to test to see exactly how many cans will be needed.

If I can't get ahold of a MSI, does anyone have any P10's they want to get rid of?  I was trying to setup part of my display tonight and decided to power my outer two P10 matrices from a separate power supply than the inner matrix so I could keep the inner larger matrix with attached power supply in my office a little longer to test some code.  Well, I grabbed the wrong power supply off the shelf and an extra 7V later (ie, I used a 12V power supply instead of a 5V supply), I now have let the magic smoke out of 16 P10 panels and possibly an Octoscroller.  I pulled out the test 2x2 matrix from my office and dug out the 4 spare P10 panels from the garage, and made a quick hack patch to FPP to account for the fact that the 8 panels aren't all the same color order, and now my display is only down 8 panels.

So, since I doubt anyone wants to sell their MSI, does anyone have 8-16 P10 panels they want to get rid of?  I can run my lights without the 3rd matrix, but would prefer not to if I can locate some panels.   I see that Todd has some available at DIYLEDExpress, but I'm not sure how quickly I would get them from his store.  Most of my panels came from Roger, but he appears to be out of them right now.

EDIT: FOUND.  Not the MSI, but I have found some panels.  Those MSI are very very hard to locate.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 07:16:13 AM by CaptainMurdoch »
-
Chris

Offline gadgetsmith

• Kudos: 14
I have 10 available, and PM'd you.

Don't have a smoke injector, but i do have an injector for smoking! 😂

Online dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 32

I have at least 6 sitting here that were used last year but not this year.   I moved to P5 panels this year (same physical size so fits in existing enclosure, but much higher pixel density) so the P10's I used are just sitting here taking up space.   I likely have a four-six unused "spares" in the basement.   I need to keep a couple for BBB/Octo testing, but would certainly be willing to part with the rest just to get them out of here.  :)
Dan Kulp

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
WTB: Falcon Magic Smoke Injector w/ 16 cans of magic smoke OR 8-16 P10 panels
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 07:14:34 AM »
Thanks guys.  I have been able to locate 12 which should be in the mail today and am also talking with gadgetsmith about his as well to replenish my spare supply and give me 8 identical panels in my frankenstein matrix.  I don't want to take someone's spare pool or something they might need since my immediate need has been satisfied.   If gadgetsmith doesn't really need to get rid of his then Dan I will ping you.  If I can pick them up now or in the next couple weeks instead of waiting for a pre-sale, I'm happy to do so.

Online dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 32
I pulled out the test 2x2 matrix from my office and dug out the 4 spare P10 panels from the garage, and made a quick hack patch to FPP to account for the fact that the 8 panels aren't all the same color order, and now my display is only down 8 panels.

I wonder if an update to the Channel remap code would be useful for this.  Basically, a "color correction remap" that would take a starting channel, number of pixels, and mapping" and it would automatically handle this.   Could be useful for a bunch of situations like DMX devices (so not string based that might not have controller support), the PiHat (until it gets changed to subclass the BBB PixelString stuff), etc...

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
I wonder if an update to the Channel remap code would be useful for this.  Basically, a "color correction remap" that would take a starting channel, number of pixels, and mapping" and it would automatically handle this.   Could be useful for a bunch of situations like DMX devices (so not string based that might not have controller support), the PiHat (until it gets changed to subclass the BBB PixelString stuff), etc...

That's similar to what I was thinking.  When I first started thinking about it, I was thinking about creating a ColorRemap(int startChannel, int pixels, std::string origOrder, std::string NewOrder) function.  Then I remembered the code in LEDscapeMatrix.cpp where I assign the channel data to the array and it was easier to add a quick 'if' statement for the channel counts I needed to fix.  It was only 5-6 lines of code for this quick fix.  I think that having a Color Order remap ability would be good for reasons you noted, or even the single pixel issues where a single pixel spliced in might not be the right color order.

I also would like to extend the LED Panel channel outputs to have the ability to specify the color order on a per-panel basis instead of or to supplement the global colorOrder setting for the whole matrix.  Again, too many ideas, not enough time.... :(  Another item for the ToDo list.

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
  • Kudos: 22
Yes, and the P10s or any panels from different vendors in the same matrix as you have identified has been found by many.
Denver Colorado
45,000 blinky blinks mix of pixels and 130 AC Channels (powered by Minleon & Lynx) ALL Powered by FPP and Falcon!