Author Topic: Repository application - fppdwatcher. How to use it  (Read 191 times)

Offline Cjlocey

• Kudos: 0
Repository application - fppdwatcher. How to use it
« on: November 26, 2017, 07:32:42 PM »
My show will run for an hour or three and one of my Pi.s will stop sequencing and have the  FPPD stopped.  It looks like this will help me out but how do I use it?
Curt
Running display on pi's with picaps.....no controllers
Some said it could not be done!  4245 pixels and growing!
xLights & FPP - marriage made in pixel heaven

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 84
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: Repository application - fppdwatcher. How to use it
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 07:54:02 PM »
You click "Install"

it copies it into a script directory and sets a Cron timer for it to check for FPPD status.

If it is running, nothing happens and it waits again.

If FPPD has stopped, it issues a Start FPPD command.

I have found that I needed to reboot after the install process for it to begin working.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 157
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 11:39:11 PM »
Did I forget something?  I thought we still had to run this manually or add it to the user callback hook script to get it started...

I think this thread has all the details:  http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,6425.msg66056.html#msg66056
-
Chris

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 84
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 08:32:27 PM »
Did I forget something?  I thought we still had to run this manually or add it to the user callback hook script to get it started...

I think this thread has all the details:  http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,6425.msg66056.html#msg66056

That was awhile ago. I may just not remember following those steps.

Offline Bwinter

• Kudos: 2
    • First Show 2016
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 02:09:44 AM »
To clarify:  the fppdwatcher AND the callback hook needs to be installed on *each* Pi?  Or can the master be set to check/restart all the remotes?

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 157
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 09:31:59 AM »
To clarify:  the fppdwatcher AND the callback hook needs to be installed on *each* Pi?  Or can the master be set to check/restart all the remotes?

Needs to be installed on each Pi.  Although monitoring all remotes from the Master is something that could be done with another script and it could easily trigger the remote to restart fppd if needed.  I'll have to think about that a little....

Offline Bwinter

• First Show 2016
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 10:17:00 AM »

Needs to be installed on each Pi.  Although monitoring all remotes from the Master is something that could be done with another script and it could easily trigger the remote to restart fppd if needed.  I'll have to think about that a little....

Thanks for clarifying.

Follow-up question:  is the FPPWatcher and callback stored on the SD card, or the USB?

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 02:04:25 PM »
it copies it into a script directory and sets a Cron timer for it to check for FPPD status.
It *could* be done with Cron, but the one thats in the Script Repository does not use Cron.  It runs as a detached process that loops forever with a SLEEP statement in the loop.  There is no schedule for it but you can edit the SLEEP statement to to have it wake up more or less often.

Follow-up question:  is the FPPWatcher and callback stored on the SD card, or the USB?
These Scripts are stored on the same device you store the sequences and media files (set as your External Storage Device in FPP settings)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 02:42:55 PM by pixelpuppy »
Vixen and xLights for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / DIY controllers for everything else

Offline Bwinter

• First Show 2016
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 02:45:59 PM »
These Scripts are stored on the same device you store the sequences and media files (set as your External Storage Device in FPP settings)

Thanks.  I was thinking that since you have to "install" scripts, that those could possible reside with the OS/SD.

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 08:33:40 PM »
I had to install this a couple weeks ago. Everyone basically said this but you go to content setup and then scripts repository on the Pi. FPPD watcher and FPPD watcher start are both towards the end of the list.  Install both. Then go to file manager and the scrips tab. Run the watcher start and it should start it. Then I think you need to reboot but maybe I'm wrong.  Go to the status screen and stop the FPPD.  If it's running it will restart within 30 seconds.  You can also verify by running the troubleshooting and then look under processes which is all the way at the bottom.  I do both tests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rmp2917

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 05:08:24 AM »
fppdWatcher does not automatically start after reboot. So you do not want to reboot after starting it or you will manually have to run the start script again.

If you want it to run automatically on startup, you need to also install the userCallbackHook script and add a line to start fppdWatcher.