Author Topic: New "beta" 9.2 based image  (Read 369 times)

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
Re: New "beta" 9.2 based image
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2017, 01:44:48 PM »
I've got it up and going so I have a couple tests going for you on this image.

P10 panel setup (double sided 2x2 tuneto), this one is actually out in my yard :)
F4B running 50 pixels off the first port.  Its also outputting E1.31 to a F4v3 also running 50 pixels of itt.  Its in remote mode to my currently live show, sitting in my garage twinkling away.

Only thing so far I've found is the static ip stuff....which isn't a big deal I got it going manually, again this is just testing for you nothing live (minus my tuneto but thats not too important either since I have another sign)

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 20
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2017, 05:44:34 PM »
Good news is that I got confirmation from the Beaglebone folks that it's a problem with the "Red" industrial version.   Until they fix that, it's not going to work on the Red boards.

Bad news is my entire show and most of my test setups consists of only Red boards.   Thus, I'm kind of stuck a bit.    I have one BBG, one BBGW, and one regular black BBB to test with.   My BBBW seems to be fried (apply power and nothing at all happens, no lights or anything).
Dan Kulp

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
  • Kudos: 22
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 07:10:47 PM »
Dan, I have a BBGW here - that I have no use for right now. Would you like it to build upon?

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2017, 07:20:37 PM »
Remote F4B using one port locally and e1.31 going to a F4v3 twinkling away in my garage

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 84
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2017, 05:45:11 AM »
On the FPP Settings / Advanced page, there are three options at the bottom.

One is to Grow the partition out to full size

One is to move the OS to eMMC

One is to move the OS to eMMC but use BTRFS formatting (definitely labeled as experimental)

The first option (grow), I'm assuming is for people who will leave eMMC untouched and want to run FPP strictly from the uSD card. By expanding the partition, doesn't it make the uSD card unusable for installation on another BBB / BBG ?  (I mention this because someone complained to me that he could not reuse his image) If this option does make the install uSD unusable for a second or third install, consider adding a note to that effect.

The second option hasn't changed in awhile. It does a pretty standard install to eMMC then shuts down, remove the installation uSD and insert either a new uSD card or flash drive for storage.

The last option is interesting and I'm trying it on a new BBG. Will let you know.

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 20
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2017, 06:41:31 AM »
On the FPP Settings / Advanced page, there are three options at the bottom.

One is to Grow the partition out to full size

One is to move the OS to eMMC

One is to move the OS to eMMC but use BTRFS formatting (definitely labeled as experimental)

The first option (grow), I'm assuming is for people who will leave eMMC untouched and want to run FPP strictly from the uSD card. By expanding the partition, doesn't it make the uSD card unusable for installation on another BBB / BBG ?  (I mention this because someone complained to me that he could not reuse his image) If this option does make the install uSD unusable for a second or third install, consider adding a note to that effect.

[/size]
It shouldn't affect anything.  All it does is grow the partition from 3.7GB to whatever the size of the card is.   You should still be able to use it on any other BBB.   That said, if you grow the partition and then store 10GB of sequences on the card and then try to flash to eMMC, it's not going to work  as it will run out of space (except possibly if you use the btrfs option, then it might).  The flash copies EVERYTHING over to the eMMC.

[/size]

The second option hasn't changed in awhile. It does a pretty standard install to eMMC then shuts down, remove the installation uSD and insert either a new uSD card or flash drive for storage.

The last option is interesting and I'm trying it on a new BBG. Will let you know.

That option may actually allow running your entire show just from the eMMC.   A "full install" only takes just over 1GB of the eMMC leaving over 2.2GB of space free.   My entire 11GB of fseq files only take up about 1.2GB of space once compressed.   Obviously the MP3 files don't compress, but the fseq files definitely do.

That said, I'm working with the Beaglebone team on it.  Apparently BTRFS support was removed in kernel 4.14 (we're on 4.4), yet btrfs support was added to uBoot, so it's kind of a mix message.   I've convinced them to add btrfs back into 4.14 so we'll be able to upgrade to that soon.    The uBoot support is still highly experimental so right now, I'm keeping it at two partitions, a small ext4 /boot partition that uBoot can see and the rest btrfs for root/data.  With the experimental uBoot, we can have one partition, but the files in /boot HAVE to be uncompressed, but that really complicates a bunch of things so it's better (IMO) to just keep /boot a separate partition for now.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 84
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2017, 06:37:57 PM »
Is it the same script:  sudo /opt/script/tools/grow_partition.sh

used on the FPP Settings/Advanced page as mentioned above?

and, the SSH shell reached by using port 4200 doesn't seem to be working for me - had to use PuTTY

http://192.168.0.66:4200/

Version: v1.9-bbb-107-gcd8d15a4 (bbb-stretch-v1.x branch)

(oops - that script and even the folder doesn't exist on the 9.2 beta image)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 07:03:33 PM by JonB256 »