Author Topic: Controller not shutting down - how to schedule a reboot (if necessary)  (Read 103 times)

Offline cfpsystems

• Kudos: 0
Howdy,
First year pixel virgin. Running Pi3 with FPP and 2 E682 controllers. No music this first year just a 15 minute repeating loop that worked out pretty good (sequenced in Vixen).

The display ran great the first two nights then noticed on the third night the one controller kept running even though the sequence schedule had stopped 20 minutes prior. I rebooted the Pi and it stopped immediately.

All devices are on a dedicated subnet so they are not impeded by other network traffic. Everything is hard-wired (no wifi except for when I want to access FPP or the controllers with my laptop or phone).

Do you guys have some kind of schedule that reboots the Pi say nightly? I was thinking of putting something in cron but was worried that it would effect FPP - was hoping that there was some setting I was missing as I don't like pulling the rug out from under it so abruptly.

Is this common that a controller would behave this way? By the way, all devices (controllers, ethernet switch and FPP), are on 24/7. The only things that I turn off in off-hours are the satellite power supplies around the yard.

Thanks in advance,
Charlie-

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 84
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: Controller not shutting down - how to schedule a reboot (if necessary)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 07:12:46 AM »
There is a Shutdown.sh script in the script repository menu (I'll make you hunt for it!)

After you install it (it will now appear in your Scripts folder), you can create an Event with that script being "the event"

Once you have an Event, you can add it to a Playlist and schedule it just like your current playlist.

Have it run X minutes after your show ends.

Offline cfpsystems

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 07:44:59 AM »
Does it start after, or is there also a startup script?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 84
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 08:55:10 AM »
Does it start after, or is there also a startup script?

There is no startup script. It starts when power is applied.
There is a Reboot script if you want to run that AFTER power is applied.

Offline cfpsystems

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 07:57:22 AM »
Wouldn't it be better to just run the reboot script as an event and not the shutdown? Won't that accomplish the same thing of cycling the Pi, or am I missing something here?

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 42
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 01:50:31 PM »
The question was "Do we have some kind of schedule for ....."

The answer is No and the second part of that would be why are you looking to do this?  I have a master that has been powered up since the 2016 show except for when I have been working on my wiring closet.  I have 10 remotes that also run continously during the season.  Unless there is a specific reason to shutdown or even reboot I do not bother with it.  Got to many other things to deal with than to go looking for trouble.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 02:09:16 PM »
Counter-point:

My answer is Yes.  I do schedule a shutdown every night.  I do it using the shutdown scripts that Jon mentioned.  The reason I do shutdown instead of reboot is because I have the power on a timer and that is the reason I schedule a "clean" shutdown of the FPP's before the power turns off.  They reboot the next day when the timer turns the power back on.

I wouldn't mind having the FPP's run all the time but I don't want to run a separate power distribution for just the FPP's.  The primary reason I don't leave the power on all night is because "smart" pixels have power going to them all the time whether they are on or off.   Even when there is no show and no lights running, power is still running though all the wires.  Where I live, Winter is the rainy season and everything gets wet.  Although I try to make everything waterproof its hard to make it 100%.  So I schedule a power shutdown when the show it not running.  Since this means I'll also be killing power to the FPP's I have a shutdown event in my playlist at the end of the night.
Vixen and xLights for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / DIY controllers for everything else

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 42
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 10:16:55 PM »
Winter is also a rainy season here, but in 11 years of doing animated lighting I have only once lost anything due to water and that was because the device fell into a puddle.  But maybe I'm lucky.  YMMV.

Offline cfpsystems

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 11:13:40 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback. Glad to hear about the high reliability of the Pi/ Falcon. The first couple nights I had a schedule mis-match (with my automation system), that was shutting down part of my power supplies before the display was completed and I thought it was the Pi messing up. Ran the last 2 nights with no issues so I will let it ride without making any modifications unless I find issues moving forward. Thanks again!
Charlie-