Author Topic: Single Power Input  (Read 647 times)

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
Single Power Input
« on: February 22, 2017, 12:47:35 PM »
Ok wasn't 100% sure, I have a 12v power supply and I would like to use it to power the cap/pixels and the pi.  Is this possible?  Do I just remove the power to pi jumper for the pi to get powered from the cap?

Offline rlemery

• Kudos: 5
Re: Single Power Input
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 03:07:56 PM »
I is possible.  You can use 5v or 12v to power the pi from the cap. I believe that there is a 12v jumper that needs to be in place for the 12v to go through the regulator.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

728 lor channels
5492 pixels

Offline tgodfrey

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 11:38:26 PM »
Do I just remove the power to pi jumper for the pi to get powered from the cap?

No, I believe you need to leave that jumper on. As I understand it, if its on then whatever is powering the piCap will also power the PI. If it's off then the PI has a separate power supply. I could be wrong but I'm running 5v powering the pi, piCap and pixels with one power connection to the piCap with the p1 jumper on.

Watch the "Falcon PiCap Setup and Test" video on youtube. I think he's running 12v power supply for his pi, piCap and pixels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS2OaGXIoj4

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
Single Power Input
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 04:14:16 AM »
I did watch that unfortunately he is power the pi separately by another 5v source and the powering the picap/pixels with the 12v source.  This was why I was asking.

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 07:12:22 AM »
I figured what the heck give it a shot, everything is now up and running off the 12v supply.

Offline Bill Ellick

• Kudos: 1
    • Long Lake Lights
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 02:23:04 PM »
Just so it is clear, you leave the jumper on P1 if you are going to power the PiCap from the Pi OR even if you are going to power the Pi from the PiCap! 
Big thing is the 4 jumpers on the power selector pins on the PiCap unit.

Jumper 1 to 2 and 3 to 4 if you are using 7 to 24 VDC OR jumper 2 to 3 if you are using 5VDC.

I am using 5 VDC and have not tried the 12 VDC input to the PiCap yet to see that it will power the Pi as well but I assume it will.

I "assume" that is what twooly had to do to get it to run?

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 02:37:06 PM »
Yes all the jumpers are on and I'm using a 12v supply

Offline jerryinmich57

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 04:06:01 PM »
Now I am confused, I got a raspberry pi 3b in Feb. and have a picap to be shipped in March already loaded falcon pi player and working.
But I know the pi runs off a 5 volt 2.5 amp power supply and plan to power the pixels with 12 volts thru the picap.
Here is my confusion will the raspberry pi3b run off 12 volts? or is the power for the picap and the pixels on separate  circuits on the picap?
Thanks
Jerry

Offline rlemery

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 04:10:10 PM »
Now I am confused, I got a raspberry pi 3b in Feb. and have a picap to be shipped in March already loaded falcon pi player and working.
But I know the pi runs off a 5 volt 2.5 amp power supply and plan to power the pixels with 12 volts thru the picap.
Here is my confusion will the raspberry pi3b run off 12 volts? or is the power for the picap and the pixels on separate  circuits on the picap?
Thanks
Jerry
The picap has a voltage regulator that takes 7v-24v and sends 5v to the pi. You only need to supply power to to the cap.

Offline jerryinmich57

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 04:22:37 PM »
Thanks
Jerry
The picap has a voltage regulator that takes 7v-24v and sends 5v to the pi. You only need to supply power to to the cap.

[/size]Thanks for that info just trying to get started with pixels for next year and sure would hate to power everything up  and have all of the magic smoke get out of the raspberry pi before I even get to run a sequence.[size=78%]

Offline rlemery

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 04:43:00 PM »
I can understand being careful.  The first time I put power to a controller I bet I double and triple checked everything more than once.

Offline jerryinmich57

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 04:58:55 PM »
Yes I remember back when I started our show in 2009 my first controller board was a renss16 from a group buy from doityourself christmas forum in which that was the first circuit board I had ever populated up and I looked over every solder joint more than once or twice before applying power but it was cool when the first channel lit up when I tested it.
And I can't help but think I will feel the same way when I light that first pixel.
Jerry

Offline TravisSlaughter

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 10:43:44 PM »
I used one of these this year instead of another power cord going into my cg1500. Because i used this pi remote to an alphapix 4. Less wires coming out of box. Only thing i had going in coming out was one power in and 4 data/power out. It was a clean look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 47
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2017, 08:42:22 AM »
I use the same thing, but I buy them from China for less than $3 each.  Just have to wait a couple of weeks for them to arrive.  In fact I am currently waiting for my 2017 order to arrive.  Should be soon.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP

Offline Augus

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 04:46:48 PM »
Just so it is clear, you leave the jumper on P1 if you are going to power the PiCap from the Pi OR even if you are going to power the Pi from the PiCap! 
Big thing is the 4 jumpers on the power selector pins on the PiCap unit.

Jumper 1 to 2 and 3 to 4 if you are using 7 to 24 VDC OR jumper 2 to 3 if you are using 5VDC.

I am using 5 VDC and have not tried the 12 VDC input to the PiCap yet to see that it will power the Pi as well but I assume it will.

I "assume" that is what twooly had to do to get it to run?

If I use power bank (those portable charger for phone), I could just connect to RPi and that will supply power to cap which in turn supply power to light?