Author Topic: Lights Controlled by My Show Via the Internet  (Read 206 times)

Offline lboucher

• Kudos: 0
Lights Controlled by My Show Via the Internet
« on: December 10, 2017, 08:16:47 PM »
Hi All

Wanted to do this for some time, and finally got it done this year, for Grandma.

Basically, thanks to Bshaver, there is now a FPP plugin to send the currently executing Song Name to Thingspeak.
I then used a NodeMCU and Arduino nano to read the current song and control a strand of lights, so that the strand does a different pattern depending on which song is playing.

I used a NodeMCU and Nano just to be sure i don't have any glitching when the NodeMCU is waiting for a response from Thingspeak. Maybe it would have worked fine, but it wasn't worth the hassle when a Nano costs less than 3 bucks. They communicate via serial from the NodeMCU to the Nano.

There is also a switch input to make the lights cycle between patterns every minute regardless of what the show is doing.

My code is attached if anyone thinks this is neat.
Figure i might give out lights to other family members for Christmas next year.

I think its kinda neat for everyone in my family to have synchronized lights regardless of where they are.

The logic of which show is equal to which pattern is controlled on thingspeak, so you don't necessarily have to reprogram the boards if your show changes, but there is only 14 patterns total that i did. So if you have/want more songs you will need to add patterns.

If anyone has any questions just ask.