Author Topic: Expanxion/reciever board connection help  (Read 903 times)

Offline tombmatt

• Kudos: 0
Expanxion/reciever board connection help
« on: December 15, 2017, 05:44:11 PM »
Have conncected the expansion board to my f16v2 have set a 16 string tree on the f16 using 4 ports with each port running 4 strings   - these I have working fine. its the 16 string tree connected to the receiver board that does not light up. I have configured the string ports to have the main board and expansion board  giving 32 universes. I have configured ports 1 - 4 for the 2811 strings for the 1st tree and ports 17 - 20 (on the expansion/receiver board) for the 2nd tree the first tree in xlights is 513 - 3512 and the 2nd tree is 2913 - 5312 I saw on the receiver board that the ports are numbered and I assumed (ouch) that port 1 would be 17 and port 2 18 and so on. however I could not see any designation for the which port was which on the expansion card, is there a order for the rj45's? have attached screen shot of my string port page and of xlights layout of the tree strings. also I have the f16 set to absolute addressing? is that correct for what I am doing or should I be in universe/start channel?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 07:01:39 PM by tombmatt »

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 4
Re: Expanxion/reciever board connection help
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 07:50:26 PM »
The expansion rj45 connections are numbered 1-4. 1 is strings 17-20. 2 is strings 21-24 and so on.  Yes absolute channels should work for this. What does your xlights network page look like?  Is there another prop on 21 that is not a tree? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Emuney18

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 07:52:11 PM »
Also have you defined enough channels on the F16 page?

Offline tombmatt

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 09:21:16 AM »
the attachments are f16 string assignment page and it has 32 universes so plenty of universes declared xlights there is no overlap of channels 1st tree starts at 513  2nd tree starts at 2913 the arches start at 5313. that is all the rgb that I have. all the rest are mini's and led strings which are all dmx.

Offline tombmatt

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 10:53:18 AM »
I had the cable in the expansion board in the wrong port it was in d moved it to a still not working right. I get lights just the wrong color. they are all blueish white and are not following the test pattern from f16 which should be rgbw. and have to unplug receiver board from power to turn off.

Offline Michael

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 12:15:35 PM »
Can you post your network page from xlights and Falcon?  Your running tests directly from the falcon board and getting blueish  lights?  What do you mean you have to unplug receiver board from power to turn off?  What are you turning off, the lights?  Do the lights work if connected directly to the falcon vs. the distribution board?  Is the ribbon cable between the Falcon and board correct?  Pin 1 on red ribbon?  And properly aligned over header?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 12:21:55 PM by Michael »

Offline tombmatt

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 01:21:26 PM »
I am running tests from f16 webpage. lights connected directly to f16 running correctly. the blueish lights on the other tree only happened one time I had found that I had the network cable in port d vice port a of the expansion board. I went back in the house and changed the settings on f16 and when I came out the 2nd tree was all lite up but they were all blueish the other tree was running a RGBW test pattern. when I turned off the test the one tree turned off but the other stayed bluish I tried restarting and stopping the test a couple of times but it made no difference to the tree on the expansion card. the only way to turn the lights off was to unplug the power to the expansion receiver card. I have not tried to move the f16 over to the other tree and connect the lights directly to it however I had tested the lights inside the house prior to setting everything up and used the f16 to test the lights and they all worked. have attached network setup in xlights and from f16 web page and pic of expansion card. red wire on ribbon cable aligned with H1 marking on board
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 04:29:37 PM by tombmatt »

Offline Michael

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 04:15:36 PM »
I would try using port C or D and run the test pattern from the F16 website.  Maybe just a bad port?  If you swap the two ports, does one tree start working and the other blueish?

Offline tombmatt

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 05:08:02 PM »
going to have to wait and try more tomorrow it started raining and I don't want to open the cases. Thanks. I did originally have the the cable plugged into port "D" instead of "A" and when I switched the cable that was when I got the all blueish lights. have not had any lights since then.

Offline Emuney18

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 06:29:13 AM »
What I meant by universes defined on F16 is the E131/Artnet tab. That page needs to have all your universes and be set to 512 channels each.  What you described is what happens to the lights when they don't get data.  Verify the ribbon cable is seated completely. It could be settings or a bad network cable or the pins on the rj45 at the expansion or receiver board may be out of place.  Change all of the ports from 17-32 to 200 lights. Do the test in rgbw test mode and move the Ethernet cable between all expansion board ports. Odds are one will work if your cable is good.  If not take a small screwdriver and make sure the pins on the receiver rj45 are in the right place.  If that doesn't help then try a new cat5 cable.

Offline tombmatt

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 10:52:10 AM »
got some lights not the right lights but at least the nodes are lighting up. when I tested the lights it was with the f16 did not use the differential boards. checked the cat5 cable it is good have a cable tester. tried all rj45 points on the differential board got some lights on the 4th "D" node, well actually got a couple of lights on different strings when I moved from A to B the some more on B to C then got all the lights on D. when they first come on they try to follow the RGBW pattern but quickly devolve into multi colors and flickering? I can wiggle the cat5 cable in the differential board and sometimes it will change the lights a little but will not go into RGBW pattern will shift most into one color like red and then go back to flickering multi colors.
and yes I have 32 universe's on the E131 tab at 512 channels each