Author Topic: FPP v1.10 Soft Launch (Only for the Pi)  (Read 1473 times)

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 173
FPP v1.10 Soft Launch (Only for the Pi)
« on: December 18, 2017, 02:10:00 PM »
I pushed a new FPP v1.10 release branch about a week ago.  Over the past week it has been tested by several of our users who were experiencing the "fppd dying" issue.  I'm posting this thread to make an official announcement that v1.10 is out there, but it is to be considered a soft launch.  I am not announcing it anywhere but here on FalconChristmas.com and I don't recommend people switch to it unless they need the new features in v1.10 or are experiencing an issue with fppd dying on either the Master or Remote.  There have been several bug fixes specifically related to fppd crashes.

NOTE: The v1.10 branch is only for the Pi, if you are using FPP on a BBB, you should be using Dan's SD image which has the v1.10 changes rolled into it.

I don't plan on adding an upgrade button to the v1.9 UI until after Christmas.  If people are running something that is stable for them, I don't want them upgrading.  v1.10 is being released so that we have a released version with the bug fixes and a few features that have been sitting in the master-v1.x branch for a while.

Changes in v1.10 include:

• Enhanced Channel Outputs -
    • E1.31 UI updated to allow 5-digit universe numbers
    • Pi GPIO Channel Output updated to support SoftPWM to allow rudimentary dimming
  • New Channel Outputs -
    • Linsn/ColorLight LED Panel Receiver Boards - Rather than driving the P10 and other LED panels with a Pi or BBB, you can connect them to a commercial LED receiver board and send data to the board over Ethenet.
    • MCP23017 - Drive up to 16 On/Off channels over the i2c bus via a MCP23017 (Beta - No UI for this output yet)
    • VirtualDisplay - Preview your running display on a HDMI/DVI monitor (Beta - No UI for this output yet)
    • RHLDVIE131 - Ron's Holiday Lights DVI to E1.31 adapter (Beta - No UI for this output yet)
  • Scheduler - "Day Mask" added as a new selection to allow any arbitrary set of days of the week to be selected for a schedule entry.
  • Player - Turned on POSIX_FADV_SEQUENTIAL to advise the Linux kernel that we are reading FSEQ files sequentially which should allow better readahead buffering in the kernel
  • MultiSync -
    • Added ability to use the 'sync' button to copy files to remotes even when using 'All Remotes' (backported to v1.19 as well)
    • New "Remote Offset" setting to allow adjusting sync on an individual FPP Remote to account for network latency, etc.
  • New plugins added to plugin list.
  • Bug Fixes -
    • Standardized some fppjson.php status results to make external integration easier.
    • UI updated to fix sliders on touch devices.
    • Race codition causing fppd to occasionally die on Remote FPP instances.
    • Fix outbound mail setup.
    • Fix 'video info' button for file names with spaces in them.
    • Pi LED Panel Matrix Channel Output updated to handle models that start in the bottom-left corner.
    • Fix for scheduled playlist not ending when time jumped over the end second
    • Force stop child media player process if we can't read from it select() fails

If you want to switch to v1.10 to try it, you will need to browse to the developer.php page to switch branches.  I may add an easier way to switch once we have more positive feedback on the new features.  If you currently access FPP via a URL similar to the following:

http://fpp/

you can access the developer.php page by appending "developer.php" to the URL such as this:

http://fpp/developer.php

On the Developer page, at the top is a dropdown select to choose the current FPP branch.  Select 'v1.10' from the list and FPP will switch to the FPP branch.  If you do not see 'v1.10' in the list, you may need to run a manual update or reboot to refresh the list of available branches.  If you test v1.10 and want to revert, you can browse back to the developer.php page and select v1.9 or a prior version.  I wouldn't recommend going back further than v1.5 though, because the developer page didn't always exist and you could lock yourself into an old version by going back too far.

If you do test v1.10 and run into issues, please indicate the FPP version in any threads you start so that we can track whether users are running the v1.9 release or the newer v1.10.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 04:32:04 PM by CaptainMurdoch »
-
Chris

Offline Bwinter

• Kudos: 2
    • First Show 2016
Re: FPP v1.10 Soft Launch
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 09:13:19 AM »
I have 5 Remotes and 1 Master.  They all have the FPPDWatcher, so the "FPPD Start/Stop issue" is under control.  However, I do have occasional issues where the playlist simply stops playing from the Master (I'm not sure, but I don't think it's because of the "FPPD Start/Stop issue").

• Is this the issue that's fixed in v1.10?
  • Can I leave all my Remotes in v1.09, and just updated the Master to v1.10?
  • Would I be safe having v1.10 on one SD card, and v1.09 on a separate SD card, and swap-out without any impact on files on the USB (if I need to revert back quickly)?

Offline jwamsley07

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 09:29:16 AM »
Finished day two of all the PIs being on v1.10 and the PI I use for projection only that was usually stopping each night has not stopped so far.  I have been running from noon - 11:00 pm. to test.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 10:17:02 AM »
I have 5 Remotes and 1 Master.  They all have the FPPDWatcher, so the "FPPD Start/Stop issue" is under control.  However, I do have occasional issues where the playlist simply stops playing from the Master (I'm not sure, but I don't think it's because of the "FPPD Start/Stop issue").

• Is this the issue that's fixed in v1.10?
  • Can I leave all my Remotes in v1.09, and just updated the Master to v1.10?
  • Would I be safe having v1.10 on one SD card, and v1.09 on a separate SD card, and swap-out without any impact on files on the USB (if I need to revert back quickly)?

The FPPD start/stop issue is actually a couple different issues related to fppd dying on both master and remote FPP systems.  These would primarily affect master/remote systems on multi-core Pi's, but there is a chance they could affect the single-core Pi's as well as the BeagleBones.  The v1.10 branch is only for the Pi's though.  Dan has rolled these changes into his v1.9 BBB branch so BBB users should stay on Dan's branch for now.

If you are running the fppdWatcher.sh script, how can you be sure the playlist isn't stopping because fppd died?  Are you looking at the fppd.log or fppd_start.log to see if fppd was restarted?

You can put different versions on different SD cards but you don't really need to.  Switching back and forth only takes a minutes or so using the instructions provided to switch branches via the developer.php page.  I switch branches all the time during testing.

If you are not having issues with fppd dying on a master or remote, then I would stick with v1.9.  You don't have to update all systems at the same time, the sync protocol is unchanged in v1.x, you can intermix systems.

Offline Setarcos

• Developer
  • Kudos: 6
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 12:54:15 PM »
One item of note is that if you are using the new ColorLight/Linsn receiver board support and are using a USB GigE dongle to drive the receiver boards, be sure to make the changes as noted in this thread. If you don't do this, and the link on the USB GigE dongle (eth1) drops and then comes back (e.g. you disconnect the ethernet cable, and plug it back in) you will loose your network settings until the next reboot, including remote access, which can be a pain.

Offline Bwinter

• First Show 2016
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 01:44:17 PM »

The FPPD start/stop issue is actually a couple different issues related to fppd dying on both master and remote FPP systems.  These would primarily affect master/remote systems on multi-core Pi's, but there is a chance they could affect the single-core Pi's as well as the BeagleBones.  The v1.10 branch is only for the Pi's though.  Dan has rolled these changes into his v1.9 BBB branch so BBB users should stay on Dan's branch for now.

If you are running the fppdWatcher.sh script, how can you be sure the playlist isn't stopping because fppd died?  Are you looking at the fppd.log or fppd_start.log to see if fppd was restarted?

You can put different versions on different SD cards but you don't really need to.  Switching back and forth only takes a minutes or so using the instructions provided to switch branches via the developer.php page.  I switch branches all the time during testing.

If you are not having issues with fppd dying on a master or remote, then I would stick with v1.9.  You don't have to update all systems at the same time, the sync protocol is unchanged in v1.x, you can intermix systems.

Actually, you're right--I can't confirm that the playlist stop wasn't related to the stopped FPPD.  By the time restarted the show, the Pi very easily could have restarted through the FPPD Watcher.

Regarding easily switching versions:  I presume that swapping branches via the developer.php between v1.09 and v1.10 would require in internet connection.  I don't have my show connected to the internet--which is why I planned to just have v1.09 and v1.10 on separate SD cards that I can quickly swap.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 01:53:43 PM »
Regarding easily switching versions:  I presume that swapping branches via the developer.php between v1.09 and v1.10 would require in internet connection.  I don't have my show connected to the internet--which is why I planned to just have v1.09 and v1.10 on separate SD cards that I can quickly swap.

OK, sounds good then.  It also helps to have a backup anyway. :)

Offline Canothink55

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 05:57:34 PM »
Ok so I updated to the v1.10-23 and the issues with the lights freezing/dying has stopped but the UI is showing the fppd is stopped.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 06:02:22 PM »
Ok so I updated to the v1.10-23 and the issues with the lights freezing/dying has stopped but the UI is showing the fppd is stopped.

Hold the control key down while reloading the page in your browser, maybe the JavaScript is cached and getting an error or something.  I haven't heard of anyone else with this issue so far.

Offline Livermore-Dad

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 06:16:58 PM »
Chris any changes in pixel support, I've got some UCS1904/2903 based pixels (2811 via the Falcon works fine (I don't have my falcon anymore, but that will change in 2018!!)), but doesn't work with the current FPP, PiCap, PiHat, SanDevice 5.x nor ESPixelstick and i'm trying to get them to flash before the season is over :)
[/size]

[/size]the bit timing constraints are a bit different as well it requires a high of 800ns, not sure if this is something you have visibility into or not.
[/size]
[/size]Thanks
[/size]Tory
I know some stuff. For example i know I don't know anything.

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 9
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017, 08:28:57 PM »

Hold the control key down while reloading the page in your browser, maybe the JavaScript is cached and getting an error or something.  I haven't heard of anyone else with this issue so far.

I have seen it.  Status screen says FPPD is stopped but the sequences are running.  When this happened to me I tried shift-reload with no change.  I'll try ctrl-reload the next time I see it.
Vixen and xLights for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / DIY controllers for everything else

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2017, 08:53:01 PM »
Chris any changes in pixel support

No, I haven't upgraded the rpi_ws281x library yet, I will do that in the master branch after the holidays as part of work on the next version.  I went through the rpi_ws281x github the other day and was reading up on the changes some.

I don't know if the latest rpi_ws281x will support those pixels or not.  I see that he has bumped up the reset time in the newer code, but I'm not sure if the rest of the code would send the right timing.

Offline Livermore-Dad

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 09:53:27 PM »
Chris any changes in pixel support

No, I haven't upgraded the rpi_ws281x library yet, I will do that in the master branch after the holidays as part of work on the next version.  I went through the rpi_ws281x github the other day and was reading up on the changes some.

I don't know if the latest rpi_ws281x will support those pixels or not.  I see that he has bumped up the reset time in the newer code, but I'm not sure if the rest of the code would send the right timing.

Thank you sir, it was a stretch, but darn it if I didn't want to use these :)   Hope things are well, glad to see you are still kicking!!

Tory

Offline th182

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2017, 09:46:32 AM »
Just wanted to thank you guys for all the hard work!! I haven't had an FPP related issue (that I didn't self-induce) for two seasons now! I just switched to v1.10 the other day and its running great! Had to hard-refresh to get the widened UI to show up and it looks great. I also like the colored background so I don't accidentally start changing the wrong config.

I'm excited to see what new ideas will make their way into this great system! Have a Merry Christmas!!

Offline Gilrock

• Kudos: 8
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2017, 03:57:11 PM »
I upgraded to the 1.10 on 2 BBBs and 1 Pi B+ because I was still running 1.7 and needed to reimage one of them so I just updated them all.  Is it only meant for the Pi because neither of my BBBs are able to start the FPPD.  I rolled back to 1.9 to get them working.  I wasn't sure which log file I need to look into for FPPD not starting issues.