Xlights Layout Help - Whole House model

Author Topic: Xlights Layout Help - Whole House model  (Read 714 times)

Offline GCLights

• Kudos: 0
Xlights Layout Help - Whole House model
« on: December 24, 2017, 07:49:30 AM »
Can someone please take a look at my layout and see if you notice anything out of order?  I have my groups set up but I am confused why under Windows Door all of the individual lines are listed even when the group is not expanded.  Is this normal?  Logically I would think you would only see the individual lines when the selected group was expanded to show it's contents.  I'm having issues with the Whole House model and certain effects which rotate from the center of the display (fan, etc.).  The issue is a couple of the strings on the upper roofline (ridge) are reversed.  I've tried going in and changing the starting location for the individual strings but that didn't correct the issue. I'm clearly still in the learning phase and I appreciate anyone advice / guidance.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 50
Re: Xlights Layout Help - Whole House model
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 08:28:01 AM »
Groups are made up of individual models.  You could not have a group without having the individual models.  In the sequencer window you can choose not only show the group and not the individual lines.  But the you can see he lines by double clicking on the group.

Lines have a starting and ending point.  It depends on which way you moved the mouse / where did you start the first mouse click.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA Falcon and Lynx, all 12v Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline GCLights

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 08:52:19 AM »
All of the lines / strings were started from left to right.  I guess my confusion comes into play with how the individual models are shown without opening the groups to reveal them.  For example, when Windows Doors is collapsed and individual models are not shown, the models starting with Poly Line and continuing through all models are still visible.  Trying to see if this is the reason that I'm having trouble with some effects working correctly.  The upper roof / ridge lines move opposite of how the model is drawn, even after I went in and changed their starting point.  Mostly just trying to find out the issue with these models during whole house effects.

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 46
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 09:52:18 AM »
That is normal in the layout.  It shows everything defined.  Just because you put something into a group, it doesn't disappear from the layout because it can still be added to other groups.  Even groups can be added to other groups.  A group is really just a method of applying an effect to a number of separate items at the same time with the same properties.  Where your issue might be is in the sequencer.  If you are not assigning any effects to these individual models, then make sure to remove them from the sequence grid or they could have unexpected results in things applied to the whole house.

Offline GCLights

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 06:05:10 PM »
How do I remove the individual items from the sequencer without removing the groups?

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 06:27:48 PM »
Right click on a model row in the sequencer window and select "Edit Display Elements"  If you don't want to see an item you can remove it or just click on the eyeball to have it not shown.

Many folks like both the group and the individual items shown as depending on order in the sequencer window you can put an effect on a group but then override it with another effect of just part of the group.  Often used with whole house effects.  You need to watch a lot more videos at xlights.org.

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 46
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 07:46:51 PM »
How do I remove the individual items from the sequencer without removing the groups?

A group is just a container of items.  If you have both a group and some items that are in the group in the sequence, then you have multiple instances of the same items.  You can right click in the models row of the sequence grid and select Edit Display Items.  This will bring up a set of boxes, one with defined items and the other with items in the display.  Just select the items that you don't want shown in the grid and click on the left pointing single arrow to remove them.  This doesn't delete them, it just removes them from the sequencing grid.  You can also add newer groups or items the same way.  As said before, a group is just a container for items and items can be part of multiple groups or no groups at all and deleting a group has no effect on the items in the group.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2017, 09:36:00 AM »
For future reference when looking for help on xlights you will probably be better off posting in the xlights forum where the developers spend a lot more time.  Falcon is basically a hardware support forum with just small activity on sequencing software.

Offline GCLights

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 07:26:00 AM »
Thanks for the help!  I'm still learning the software