Author Topic: Distance to props  (Read 394 times)

Offline sawyerbrownlive

• Kudos: 0
Distance to props
« on: January 01, 2018, 03:00:56 PM »
I purchased 4 receivers to replace my dumb boards/strings around windows and poles. 1 of the receivers will be used for snowflakes I plan to hang on the house. Until I purchase the snowflakes I can't say for sure how many pixels each one will have, but i'm guessing 50. I've purchased 12v square pixels.  I hope to put the receiver on the roof, center of the house.  The furthest snowflake would be around 35' from the receiver in each direction, with 3 other snowflakes between the receiver and the last snowflake. For a total of 4 snowflakes in each direction, 8 total.  Is that distance too far from the receiver or will it be ok? It would be nice if I could put more than 1 snowflake on each output but i'm afraid that my distances are too far and I need to minimize the number of pixels on each output.

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 3
Re: Distance to props
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 06:05:33 PM »
You might be able to do 35' with the standard pixel pigtails. But you might need cat5 for the distance.  I get 20' no problem with pigtails. After that it depends on the lights. 
Some food for thought because I did it this year to reduce distance.  Can you connect flake 2 to 4 and 1 to 3 going out from the center to reduce the distance to under 20'?  How far will the flakes be separated.  I have 4 trees in a row each with 59 nodes. I ran 20 feet to tree 2 then another 5' plus 3' of pigtails to tree 4. This let me reach tree 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sawyerbrownlive

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 06:29:11 PM »
That's a great idea. I can connect snowflake 1 to 3 and 2 to 4 to minimize total distance! I don't know yet what the separation will be, but i'm guessing 10' or so. I can alter it as needed, but I do want as much separation as I can get...and most importantly i'd like to go as far from the receiver as I can to the last snowflake.

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 06:56:44 PM »
That's a great idea. I can connect snowflake 1 to 3 and 2 to 4 to minimize total distance! I don't know yet what the separation will be, but i'm guessing 10' or so. I can alter it as needed, but I do want as much separation as I can get...and most importantly i'd like to go as far from the receiver as I can to the last snowflake.
You will need to test the distance between the flakes that you can do without data issues. 5-10' is usually reported as the max before the signal degrades.  The pixels are poor transmitters of data so their distance is limited much more than a controller.  Otherwise you might need a uamp or similar inline booster/conditioner to make the distance, but those are cheap and easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk