Author Topic: Ghosting all over P10 panels, What can be done?  (Read 169 times)

Offline brichi

• Kudos: 0
Ghosting all over P10 panels, What can be done?
« on: January 07, 2018, 06:42:23 PM »
So im running 4 P10 panels right now, were working great for a few days and now I notice ghosting like crazy as you can see in the videos below, I have no clue why and I have tried changing everything BUT the Octoscrolla itself.

things I checked so far is
1. checking one panel at a time, same issue on each panel
2. changes data cables
3. changed BBB (running latest beta)
4. checked voltage and its at 5, tried going up and down a little in the voltage but same results
5. ran pattern in Xlights and LOR and same results

when I do things like snowflake patterns it looks like crap, bleeding all over
https://youtu.be/K_QdZ8wyVHc

https://youtu.be/k3j4P3NHq7E

Offline dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 22
Re: Ghosting all over P10 panels, What can be done?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 09:00:26 PM »

Try changing the brightness.  Also try changing down to 7bit instead of 8.   This normally occurs if the data is being output faster than the chips on the board can handle and having the "on" time too short.   Dropping the low bit may help. 

That said, I'm not sure why it would have worked fine for a few days and suddenly stopped.  That is very strange.   Maybe temperature related causing some sort of delay on a chip?   Don't know.
Dan Kulp

Offline brichi

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 05:28:58 AM »
thanks for the reply

I tried changing the brightness and even at low like -10 i still get leds lit dim that shouldn't be like in this pic -

brightness around -30 - https://www.dropbox.com/s/z6u8qdzrk7tt45e/IMG_0552.JPG?dl=0

that pic the text is not even moving, its just a still word (other 3 panels are unplugged) and you can see some green led's on, this happens mainly when i use green and white in the effects

these are just setup in my living room right now so temperature is not a factor, I tried 6 bit and no luck. even doing effects like "fan" i see random LEDs come on dim long the top of my panel

Offline dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 05:40:30 AM »

I meant brightness on the Octoscroller, not in xLights.    On the LEDPanels page, there should be a brightness setting there.  Try messing with that a bit.   Also try dropping the "Color Depth" field there to 7bit.

Offline brichi

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 05:53:02 AM »
brightness in the falcon player itself? I tried dropping that to like 6 last night with no luck. I will try again today when i get home from work. I also should be getting 60 new panels delivered today so i can test a new batch

is it possible the Octoscrolla is bad? thats the only thing i am not able to change out right now being i only have one.

Offline brichi

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 03:21:42 PM »
So no luck on those settings and I tried 4 more (out of 60) brand new panels that I relied today

In FPP I lowered the brightness to 6 and changed to 7bit and tried 6 and no matter how low I go except "0", the green lines are staying with the white snow flake of letter

The only thing left is possibly a faulty Octoscroller? I have another one on the way which will hopefully arrive this week. Thats the only thing I haven't swapped out yet

Offline dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 05:50:34 PM »

One more question: are you running all the panels off of one output or off multiple outputs.   If you can get them on multiple outputs (one panel per output), I'd be curious if that changes anything.   At that point on the BBB, it was WAY too fast for the panels so I had to add a bunch of extra delays.  Kind of curious what your layout is as it might need some extra timing adjustments.

Offline brichi

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 05:54:18 PM »
right now I did a quick setup of 2x5 so I have 2 wide by 5 long. Each row is on its own output so 5 outputs being used on the BBB/Octo with 2 panels on each out

Offline dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 06:02:10 PM »

Could you try putting 4 panels on one output (you can leave the others at 2 panels) and seeing if that changes anything?   The more panels on the output, the longer it takes to output so the "on" time can be longer.   

Wish this was something I could reproduce.  (or anyone else for that matter)  :(

Offline brichi

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 06:06:41 PM »
absolutely, ill try that now

heres a video I just shot, shows the setup and I run a few patterns from XLights so you can see it all - https://youtu.be/BnznhaxunZY

Offline brichi

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 06:13:29 PM »
and no luck running 4 or 6 panels off 1 output, I get the same results with the green ghost following white snow flakes

Offline Wichita

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 07:42:29 PM »
I run mine off the Pie and Ron's Adapter.  I was having these issues until I used this fix. http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,7423.msg73162.html#msg73162

But I was led to believe that the BB and octoscroller had a new version of FPP not available for the pi that took care of the newer p10 panel problems.

Offline brichi

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 07:44:44 PM »
thank you, yeah unfortunately that change in the code is just for a Pi.

Offline brichi

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 07:53:20 PM »
just to update ya, I assembled a full 54 panel setup and all the ghosting is gone, weird but ill take it! lol

these things look great and im like 10 feet away

https://youtu.be/6rQnLUIDsZs

https://youtu.be/mTV4Xw1EVKQ