Author Topic: Corrupt Flash Drive?  (Read 743 times)

Offline jllracer55

• Kudos: 0
Corrupt Flash Drive?
« on: January 09, 2018, 05:53:51 PM »
So im not sure if this is a common thing or not but I recently went out of town and left my show running(work trip, wife was home..) And while being away suddenly my show froze that was running on 1 of my 2 Pi's (setup in master/slave mode) I am now home and am investigating what happened and for some reason it appears as though the flash drive is corrupt/dead? My windows pc wont even recognize files on it. It just says No media, is this common??

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 45
Re: Corrupt Flash Drive?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 06:24:01 PM »
It's not common but it can happen, especially if it was in the middle of a write or updating the FAT and the PI lost power.  It could also be a defective drive.  Some have experienced this by unplugging the PI without shutting it down first.

Offline jllracer55

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 07:02:34 PM »
Well it was powered down without shutting it down so maybe that did it in the middle of a read or write to the flashdrive.  :-[  In the meantime I was able to get it back up and running!

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 45
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 07:23:04 PM »
A read should have little effect but a write causes a change of state on the device and if it is between them when the power goes away, it can corrupt the file system and in more rare instances, brick the drive.  Glad that you got it working again.

Offline jllracer55

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 09:15:52 PM »
On a different note, is there a way to get the Mac address for a pi on the FPP setup? I would like to reserve IP addresses on my wifi network for them but I am not seeing a spot that lists the Mac Address.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 178
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 09:43:33 PM »
On a different note, is there a way to get the Mac address for a pi on the FPP setup? I would like to reserve IP addresses on my wifi network for them but I am not seeing a spot that lists the Mac Address.

Go to the Troubleshooting Commands page under the help menu and look for the "ifconfig" section and there you will see the MAC addresses for the wired eth0 and WiFi wlan0 interfaces.
-
Chris

Offline jllracer55

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 03:11:26 PM »
thanks for your reply Chris. here's a new question to the puzzle.. why is this pi now duplicating my wlan and eth0 settings? why will it not allow me to save them seperately like the FPP master that I have setup is allowing me to do? What am I doing wrong? Is the SD card possibly ubber corrupt now too??

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 03:13:22 PM »
thanks for your reply Chris. here's a new question to the puzzle.. why is this pi now duplicating my wlan and eth0 settings? why will it not allow me to save them seperately like the FPP master that I have setup is allowing me to do? What am I doing wrong? Is the SD card possibly ubber corrupt now too??

I'm not following you, what do you mean "duplicating" and "separately"?  Are you saying the same IP is on both interfaces?  The IP information is stored on the USB stick and at boot time a script runs which creates a network config file on the SD card and then restarts networking to apply the config from the USB stick.

Offline jllracer55

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 03:32:22 PM »
Yes the same ip is duplicating over to both interfaces. So if I put it into eth0 or wlan0 it duplicates to the other interface instead of allowing me to put in seperate IP's for each interface like I was able to do before without any issues. It worked the first time, then my pi lost power due to a GFCI pop from moisture on a display element and now i have this issue. I am going to try a pi reboot and see if I can get it to save properly after this.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 03:50:29 PM »
OK, if that doesn't work, it could be either a browser javascript cache issue or a corrupt SD issue possibly causing the web page Javascript files to be corrupt.

Offline jllracer55

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 04:07:16 PM »
Yeah something more seems to have corrupted or something. I initiated a shutdown on the Pi from the FPP web interface. And now upon trying to get it to boot back up I can't even FPP into it for some reason. Guess I get to try a new SD card image too, what a pain. It was working great and ever since that flash drive went its now not worked right, maybe the SD image had issues from the start that took time to surface?? Any thoughts on that idea? Seems this FPP thing is pretty robust from the way ive heard others talk about it, they virtually have zero issues. So why me?  :-[

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 04:41:02 PM »
I might start to suspect the power supply if you have had corruption on both USB and SD media, unless you are pulling the plug without shutting down.  Do you have another power supply you can try if the problem persists?

Offline jllracer55

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 11:41:15 PM »
I have had no option but to pull the plug without an official shut down when I can't even get into it via FPP or an ip address as it dumped the ethernet settings that I did have. I am working off of a different power supply from what I had and am seeing similar issues, even tried a new sd image and that didn't even have wireless lan options for some reason. I went just for the heck of it and loaded the Raspbian image I have up on the pi to verify its not the pi its self, but all interfaces worked fine there.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 10:24:30 AM »
What web browser are you using?

Offline jllracer55

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 10:33:05 PM »
Chrome. It looks like after fussing and fighting with it for almost 2 days I finally have it working again, and ALMOST another corrupted flash drive. Is there a specific indication with the power and activity lights on the Pi that can be used to determine when it has officially shutdown? I had thought it shut down when both lights went solid and the Lan lights were off, but maybe that is not correct? This may have restored my response to if I would be using FPP in 2018 or not. I was starting to be on the fence after this mess.. (Nothing against you Chris and the team developing things) was just way too frustrating and no definitive reason why it happened either. The mess started with the remote pi freezing up to where lights were stuck on. So I tried to fpp/ip into the remote pi and could not. so it had to be power cycled and even then still could not get to it.. then once I did, the settings weren't saving, which I found out once I got back home was due to the flashdrive going corrupt, to the point of windows detecting it as a drive but seeing no flash memory on it what so ever. I almost had yet another drive do this today when again it locked up.. I was noticing last night that my SD cards are class 4 cards, and I am almost certain I saw it recommended to use class 10? I for some reason thought it was the other way around.. so I am wondering if part of my problems are from running a slower card?  either way I will attempt to run it for a few days just to see if it stays up or not or if it crashes again like it had when I thought I had it up the first time it went south on me. If anyone knows how I might be able to recover this flash drive, im open to hear that as well.