Author Topic: Wifi signal throughout your house and yard  (Read 682 times)

Offline trkeenan

• Kudos: 0
Wifi signal throughout your house and yard
« on: January 09, 2018, 07:57:42 PM »
All,
I need a little guidance on networking.  I have struggled to get strong wifi access throughout my home (3 levels 2,600 sq. ft.) and my detached garage (62 sq. ft.5) and my yard which is 100 ft. by 150 ft.
The way I have done it is my main wifi router in the basement of the house has a SSID, my garage has a hardwired old router serving as an access point with its own SSID, and finally another old router in the front of my house with yet a different SSID.  When using my PI players they all end up with different wifi access on my different PI players depending on where they end up in my house or yard and I cant move a PI from the front yard to the garage or Vis versa.
How do you all set up you networks for strong signals throughout?
Your input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Tim

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 49
Re: Wifi signal throughout your house and yard
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 08:06:40 PM »
My home router is also in the basement and covers most of my house pretty well.  But not so good in yard or the master bedroom all the way at the other end of the house (1 story ranch).  I put an old (10yrs old) router in a front wall closet on the main level and I get good wifi signal in my front yard, my side yard and even kitty corner across the street.  I do have two separate networks with the one on main level front house wall being my show router and on a separate network, not an access point, but it is hard wired to my home network for internet access for my Pis.  That works for my master bedroom as well since we only need to access the internet via phone or tablet from that end of the house.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Falcon and Lynx, all 12v
Multisync with Pi and BBB
P10 and P5

Offline danj

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 08:10:49 PM »
We have a fairly standard setup with a regular WIFI (either DLINK or LINKSYS, embarrassed I don't even know....  I'm out of town right now..).   Anyway, we setup an extender mid-year last year to help get better signal throughout the house.   The extender helped inside the house, but one of my PI's was dropping out periodically.   I moved the extender physically closer to that PI, after which we didn't have anymore issues accessing that PI.   I am going to research a Ubiquiti mesh setup this year to get a really strong signal inside & outside.

Offline L1011

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 08:45:49 PM »
I had the good fortune to build a house from scratch and I wired it up with CAT6 drops all over the house. I have a Ubiquiti switch and several Ubiquiti access points in the house and two outside to cover the yard, all using a single SSID.
Newbie for 2016 using FPP, F16v2r, F4v2, and WS2811 bullet pixels.

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 45
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 08:52:14 PM »
My router used to be in the basement with the cable modem and network switch but it had signal issues on the second floor and in the family room.  I fished a set of network cables up the wall into the kitchen and now the router lives on top of my kitchen cabinets which is pretty much in the center of the house.  I also upgraded to a better router and now it works well everywhere in the house and garage.  I haven't bothered to test its range outside but the few times I used my notebook outside it seemed to work just fine. 

Offline k6ccc

• Kudos: 2
    • Newburgh Lights
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 10:18:38 PM »
Take a look at Open-Mesh.com

They are a mesh type network where you can run multiple access points that can each be either a gateway or mesh node.  They work very well and are less expensive than some of the high end professional APs.  I love them and my kids will tell you that I have the best WiFi of anyone.

Jim
Jim

Offline aknflyer

• Kudos: 4
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 11:14:55 PM »
I am using an Asus RT-68u in a 4000 sq ft home. Reaches all 3 levels and 400 ft easily in the yard. Supports routes, and much more. Not cheap but very powerful. Lots of monitoring capability. Highly recommend.

Offline K-State Fan

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 04:56:42 AM »
I use the same SSID for my AP and router.  Asus router in the basement and Ubiquiti Networks access point mounted in the garage ceiling.

Offline jhoybs

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 06:16:07 AM »
All,
I need a little guidance on networking.  I have struggled to get strong wifi access throughout my home (3 levels 2,600 sq. ft.) and my detached garage (62 sq. ft.5) and my yard which is 100 ft. by 150 ft.
The way I have done it is my main wifi router in the basement of the house has a SSID, my garage has a hardwired old router serving as an access point with its own SSID, and finally another old router in the front of my house with yet a different SSID.  When using my PI players they all end up with different wifi access on my different PI players depending on where they end up in my house or yard and I cant move a PI from the front yard to the garage or Vis versa.
Thanks

Tim

Tim,

Although it is OK to run several wireless networks, the more you have, the more they can interfere with one another.  In a 2.4GHz network, there are really only 3 channel ranges that don't directly interfere with one another.  2.4 is the most common frequency so your access points may be struggling to find a clear channel between your APs and your neighbors'.

This summer I replaced my wireless access points with a single Ubiquiti AP-AC-LR.  This one access point covers most of my 1/2 acre lot including all display areas and all throughout our house.  You can also add more APs in a mesh arrangement (shared SSID & credentials) if you need more coverage.  I've used 4 wireless routers in the last 10 years and each one has had better coverage than the older ones.

Place your APs high and central to the areas that you need access - I wired my AP in the middle of the house near the top of the stairwell to the basement.
Jim H.
Muskego, WI
Falcon F16v3, PiCap, FPPs. Lynx Expresses, xLights

Offline trkeenan

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 08:16:22 PM »
All,
Thanks

Tim

Tim,

Although it is OK to run several wireless networks, the more you have, the more they can interfere with one another.  In a 2.4GHz network, there are really only 3 channel ranges that don't directly interfere with one another.  2.4 is the most common frequency so your access points may be struggling to find a clear channel between your APs and your neighbors'.

This summer I replaced my wireless access points with a single Ubiquiti AP-AC-LR.  This one access point covers most of my 1/2 acre lot including all display areas and all throughout our house.  You can also add more APs in a mesh arrangement (shared SSID & credentials) if you need more coverage.  I've used 4 wireless routers in the last 10 years and each one has had better coverage than the older ones.

Place your APs high and central to the areas that you need access - I wired my AP in the middle of the house near the top of the stairwell to the basement.

I didn't realize you could use a Ubiquiti AP with other non Ubiquit routers and switches.  May this would be the way to go
Thanks Tim

Offline trkeenan

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 08:17:53 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies.  Reading them really helps.

Tim

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 178
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 11:17:32 PM »
I didn't realize you could use a Ubiquiti AP with other non Ubiquit routers and switches.  May this would be the way to go

I picked up a set of three Ubiquiti AP's a couple weeks ago for $27 and was an instant fan.  I doubt you will get find that good of a deal but they are well worth their normal price.  I installed two and kept the third as a backup.  I can now walk from one end the property or house to the other and not lose signal and stay on the same SSID, something I was unable to do with my former setup of dual routers.

Here is a little anecdotal story on the benefits of having two or more AP's within range.  I installed the Unifi controller software on an old Pi 1 Model B and it had been working fine until I lost the system due to a failed SD card.  The UAP's continued working fine.  In the early evening I decided to reinstall the software onto a newer better SD and import the UAP's into the new config.  My daughter was watching a show on the FireTV via WiFi and my wife was doing some online shopping via her laptop.  I imported the two UAP's one at a time and each one went offline to reprovision from the new config server.  The FireTV and laptop seamlessly switched to the alternate UAP and back without skipping a beat during the imports.  A few minutes later I walked downstairs and checked and neither my wife or daughter had any idea that I had just ripped the WiFi network out from under them and reinstalled it.

The UAP's are fine for my current needs, but if I find any AC or Pro models on a good deal, I will upgrade to future proof the install for a while.
-
Chris

Offline Emuney18

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 05:54:54 AM »
@CaptainMurdoch where did you find them for $27?  That's a heck of a deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Emuney18

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 06:02:44 AM »
For those with ubiquiti APs. What models should we look for?  All I have seen people post are no longer on their website but all over Amazon so I am confused.  Do they all work with non-ubiquiti routers? I like many have a good Netgear router and have thought about adding a ubiquiti AP to spread my coverage and have the same credentials.  What should I buy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jhoybs

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 06:25:41 AM »
Consumer wireless routers typically have the router and wireless access point (AP) in the same device.  The Ubiquiti devices that I bought are only wireless access points - you still need a router.  Most of the time, you just need to disable the wireless radios in consumer routers and you are left with just the router function.  The AP that I bought are from the UniFi line and they are still on the Ubiquiti website (https://www.ubnt.com/products/#unifi).  The nice thing about these is that they use power injectors - you run your CAT5/6 from your router into the power injector (plugs into AC) then from the injector you run a CAT5/6 to the AP.  In this way, you don't plug the actual wireless access point into power.

You can also buy all-in-one routers and a bunch of access points sold as a system (https://www.amplifi.com/).  They also sell outdoor APs.

The Unifi APs that I was looking at were the AP-AC-Lite, AP-AC-LR and AP-AC-Pro - I ultimately chose the LR (long range).