Author Topic: Wifi signal throughout your house and yard  (Read 422 times)

Online CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 173
Re: Wifi signal throughout your house and yard
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2018, 08:22:35 PM »
@CaptainMurdoch where did you find them for $27?  That's a heck of a deal.

mumble mumble... thrift store...  :)

I was really surprised to see one on the shelf and put it in my cart before even looking it up to see which model they were, then I saw the others on another shelf.  They were priced at $5 each for the UAP's and $4 each for the POE power supplies which always seem to put in different area and priced separately.  I have been to that thrift store twice in the past year with my wife and both times have picked up a computer related deal.  The first time, I picked up some Grandstream Video SIP phones for $9 each.  They aren't the greatest but integrated easily with my RasPBX system are good enough for the kids rooms with built in speakerphone, paging, etc.. 
-
Chris

Offline jhoybs

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 07:51:32 AM »

I was really surprised to see one on the shelf and put it in my cart before even looking it up to see which model they were, then I saw the others on another shelf.  They were priced at $5 each for the UAP's and $4 each for the POE power supplies which always seem to put in different area and priced separately.  I have been to that thrift store twice in the past year with my wife and both times have picked up a computer related deal.  The first time, I picked up some Grandstream Video SIP phones for $9 each.  They aren't the greatest but integrated easily with my RasPBX system are good enough for the kids rooms with built in speakerphone, paging, etc..

Sweet deal!!!
Jim H.
Muskego, WI
Falcon F16v3, PiCap, FPPs. Lynx Expresses, xLights

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 7
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 12:55:22 PM »

Sweet deal!!!

Not only a "Sweet deal", but you should go play the lottery before the luck wears off.  :)

Online CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 01:23:51 PM »
Not only a "Sweet deal", but you should go play the lottery before the luck wears off.  :)

Might be too late, the big jackpots were last week. :)

Offline mararunr

• Kudos: 12
    • Bentonville Heart Lites
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2018, 04:46:43 PM »
Might be too late, the big jackpots were last week. :)

yeah, I couldn't possibly live on just 45 or 50 million  ;D  FPP and xLights are way too expensive  :P
Bentonville Heart Lites (www.facebook.com/bheartlites)

This is just my opinion/suggestion/viewpoint.  Others with other viewpoints/experiences may have different advice.  I am a hobbyist with a couple years real world experience, not an expert.

Online CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2018, 04:50:58 PM »
yeah, I couldn't possibly live on just 45 or 50 million  ;D  FPP and xLights are way too expensive  :P

With that, you could afford to synchronize the whole town if you lived somewhere small like I do.  :)

Offline amtrak115

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2018, 08:24:11 PM »
I used one like this to set up a hotspot in the middle of my front yard which was just at the edge of my home network.   https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wi-Fi-Extender-Essentials-EX2700/dp/B00L0YLRUW.  I ran one Cat 5 from the router in the basement to the hotspot.  all my pi players run off the hotspot.

Offline travcam

• Kudos: -1
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2018, 04:29:35 PM »
I picked up a set of three Ubiquiti AP's a couple weeks ago for $27 and was an instant fan.  I doubt you will get find that good of a deal but they are well worth their normal price.  I installed two and kept the third as a backup.  I can now walk from one end the property or house to the other and not lose signal and stay on the same SSID, something I was unable to do with my former setup of dual routers.

Here is a little anecdotal story on the benefits of having two or more AP's within range.  I installed the Unifi controller software on an old Pi 1 Model B and it had been working fine until I lost the system due to a failed SD card.  The UAP's continued working fine.  In the early evening I decided to reinstall the software onto a newer better SD and import the UAP's into the new config.  My daughter was watching a show on the FireTV via WiFi and my wife was doing some online shopping via her laptop.  I imported the two UAP's one at a time and each one went offline to reprovision from the new config server.  The FireTV and laptop seamlessly switched to the alternate UAP and back without skipping a beat during the imports.  A few minutes later I walked downstairs and checked and neither my wife or daughter had any idea that I had just ripped the WiFi network out from under them and reinstalled it.

The UAP's are fine for my current needs, but if I find any AC or Pro models on a good deal, I will upgrade to future proof the install for a while.

I can't say enough good stuff about Ubiquiti products.  Even for warranty work, they are painless if you just keep your sales receipt - I got an AP back in a week.  Great products and support for the price. 

Offline trkeenan

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2018, 08:11:19 PM »
All,

i picked up a Ubiquiti Long range access point this weekend and plugged it into my TP-Link router.  I was pleased with how easy it was to set up.  I was also amazed at the increased speed of my wifi.  I was disappointed in the range of the unit.  The spec sheet says it has a range of 600 feet.  I can't get signal in my detached garage 50 feet away.  I placed the AP on my second level ceiling for the highest best possible location in my place.  Is there something I am doing wrong?
thanks
Tim