Author Topic: Enclosure Ideas for F16V3  (Read 840 times)

Offline driedel13

• Kudos: 0
Enclosure Ideas for F16V3
« on: January 11, 2018, 02:38:47 PM »
I'm purchasing an F16V3 controller board with two 350 power supplies and two differential expansion boards.  What are some options to house these in a waterproof enclosure that will be outside?  Also, any thoughts on an enclosure for a 350 watt power supply and a differential receiver board that will also be outside?

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 48
Re: Enclosure Ideas for F16V3
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 03:01:44 PM »
I use a marine battery box to house a power supply and a differential receiver.  Other folks use a CG-1500 CableGuard box.  I also us a marine battery box for F16v2 or 3 and two power supplies but that would not be big enough to include the expansion boards.  There are several build examples of using an MTM Ammo box for bigger builds.  Look on youtube for the Clyde Lindsey build or the Ron Howard build.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Falcon and Lynx, all 12v
Multisync with Pi and BBB
P10 and P5

Offline arw01

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 03:21:24 PM »
Like others I have used the battery boxes, but am leavin them this year.  Just find that getting all 16 cables + power + data into them and keeping them waterproof with their placement is becoming problematic.

Currently doing a ammo box build and documenting it on the Holiday Think Tank group on Facebook.  Been using my 3d printer to make some brackets for hanging the power supplies off the lid of the box vs underneath a shelf like other are doing.

I did not want to have to remove something to get to something else.

This picture is NOT MINE, was off the DIYChristmas forum.

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 06:41:53 PM »
What type of power wire are you using that is flexible enough to mount the power to the lid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline vipersinu2

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 07:43:37 PM »
Lowes sells a nice Kobalt waterproof tool box.

Offline stidrvr

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 11:49:36 AM »
I ended up blowing the budget out on my first year and had a lot of last minute things to do. I spent more time on props and didn't put much effort into enclosure design. Added the fact that I ended up doubling the amount of controllers and differential receiver cards I had planned on using. This would then double the cost of enclosures. I would up using plain old Sterilite Containers for my enclosures. My local Menards had a sale going on and the two size they had worked perfect fir my setup.

I used the larger 15 quart container for the F16v3, two 360 watt power supplies, and a differential expansion card. The smaller 6 quart containers worked perfect for a 360 watt power supply, and a differential receiver card. On of my smaller containers also houses a Falcon Distro board too. The enclosures are out in the open and we've had quite a few days of rain, snow, and wind, with no water intrusion. I cut 3/4" of MDF as my mounting board for both enclosures. I'll try to get some pictures and post them later today.

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 7
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 12:24:49 PM »
I've been using CG-1500s for years and they serve well, but this past year gave several bigger boxes a try.  I'm so glad I did.
The fancy ones you have read about on the forums are very nice.
Turned out, after building 4 of the bigger ones, I put together an Ammo Box that really works great.  Purchased it from Rural King.

MTM Case-Gard Ammo Crate Utility Box (ACR8P-72).  $17.99 from Rural King.

http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/mtm-ammunition-crate.php

Sorry I don't have a picture of it put together.  They are all packed in our shipping container (way in the back and behind things it takes 3 people to move) and won't see the light of day until August or September of 2018. 

Offline arw01

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 02:55:20 PM »
What type of power wire are you using that is flexible enough to mount the power to the lid?

I picked up off amazon some silicon covered wiring, with lots of fine wires of copper, it's like warm butter to bend around.

Offline jeff.ott

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 07:54:30 PM »
I'm purchasing an F16V3 controller board with two 350 power supplies and two differential expansion boards.  What are some options to house these in a waterproof enclosure that will be outside?  Also, any thoughts on an enclosure for a 350 watt power supply and a differential receiver board that will also be outside?
I'm doing this as well. There is a good example in the falcon site. Search for "bud enclosure". I'll be using a cg-1500 cable for the remotes. Looking at the HC cg-1500 bases to mount everything on I'll be posting pics on my build as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline stidrvr

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 12:41:47 PM »
I finally got a few pics of my enclosures.

Offline drm1963

• Kudos: 4
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 02:58:38 PM »
MTM  Ammo Crate Utility Box

From AMAZON
Different sizes
Water-resistant O-ring seal for dry storage

Avg price around than $20.00

Followed other builds found on the net

Latches are mounted on sides for easy carrying; Made in USA

« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 03:12:28 PM by drm1963 »

Offline lrhorer

• Kudos: -16
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 05:43:00 AM »
Well, they are considerably more expensive, but I have been using some GK8-20-4 aluminum enclosures from GK Photonics.  Similar extruded enclosures can probably be had from China for less.  The aluminum provides much better heat transfer to the outside world - although I still vent the enclosures - and the 20" x 8" x 4"  profile is more compact and provides much easier access than narrower, deeper solutions.  I also like the fact the side panels are removable.  This allows for much easier drilling and cutting for cable / connector access.  Shown here with a Zeus-16, but an F16v3 controller with a PC Power converter board fit even better.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 05:58:29 AM by lrhorer »

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 7
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 05:47:07 AM »
Are these GK8-20-4 boxes waterproof?  (I don't see any gaskets, etc., in the pictures that I have found.)

Offline lrhorer

• Kudos: -16
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 06:02:02 AM »
Are these GK8-20-4 boxes waterproof?  (I don't see any gaskets, etc., in the pictures that I have found.)

No, but they are splash / rain proof as-is.  It is also trivial to run a bead of RTV Silicone along the seams, if one really desires, but it's really not necessary.  If the enclosure is going to sit in the open with no cover, I mount the electronics in the top of the box and cut the vent holes in the bottom.  I mount the box on a pair of angle aluminum rails to prevent water from coming into the enclosure from underneath.  If the box sits under some sort of cover, I mount the box with the 8" side sitting vertically, and cut vent holes in one of the side panels, which I put on the bottom side of the enclosure.

Offline deacon

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 08:02:49 AM »
Like others I have used the battery boxes, but am leavin them this year.  Just find that getting all 16 cables + power + data into them and keeping them waterproof with their placement is becoming problematic.

Currently doing a ammo box build and documenting it on the Holiday Think Tank group on Facebook.  Been using my 3d printer to make some brackets for hanging the power supplies off the lid of the box vs underneath a shelf like other are doing.

I did not want to have to remove something to get to something else.

This picture is NOT MINE, was off the DIYChristmas forum.

Where did you find the break out board for the server power supply? Thats a nice setup!