Author Topic: Multitasking an FPP Raspberry Pi  (Read 92 times)

Offline johnnyspo

• Kudos: 0
Multitasking an FPP Raspberry Pi
« on: January 11, 2018, 02:40:14 PM »
Greetings all.

I have not yet installed FPP on a Raspberry Pi, so this is a pre-emptive question. Can a Raspberry Pi running FPP be mulitpurposed to perform other tasks such as temperature reading, camera, LCD display, etc?  Im dont know how CPU intensive FPP is, so I am wondering if the Pi can be used for other simultaneous activities.

Regards,
John

Online AAH

• Kudos: 15
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
Re: Multitasking an FPP Raspberry Pi
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 03:34:47 PM »
Falcon Player resides on the SD card and usb thumbdrive. You can pull them out and use the Pi for whatever you want during the off season then plug them back in when you need them for your Christmas display. I have plans to have a couple of my Pi's used as a media server and a MAME arcade emulator whilst not in use.
You can call me AAH, you can call me Al, or you can call me Alan.
http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/wp-content/uploads/Catalogue.pdf Catalogue of my blinky bits
http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/

Offline johnnyspo

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 05:31:45 PM »
Thanks Alan.

Sure the SD card can be replaced and used for other purpose in the off-season (BTW, I was thinking the same thing about Mame, but with a different Pi).  I am referring to having the Pi perform other activities while FPP is loaded and in use.

I just completed loading FPP and started playing around in the UI.  It seems that FPP takes over the Pi.  ssh uses fpp/falcon, haven't seen any other logins and the enabling the UI password for admin is not the same as the Pi login, which has also been changed from default noobs (pi/raspberry).  For security reasons, I changed the "fpp" user password from "falcon".  Not sure if that will present future problems.

So it seems to me that FPP locks-down the Pi for FPP-only use.  Is that correct?

Regards,
--John

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 45
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 06:02:40 PM »
For the most part, yes.  It's not so much locking it down as not loading other OS software in it.  The original PI's were not exactly powerhouses and FPP has a lot of capabilities so it made sense to keep it exclusive.  It is also much easier to support when FPP is all it is doing and with the low cost of the PI, why push it when you can just get another one for other jobs.

Online CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 173
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 06:21:09 PM »
There shouldn't be any issues with changing the fpp user's password from falcon to something else.

I would just use another Pi or SD card if you want to do things other than run FPP on the Pi.  If you start running other workloads, we can't really help much if you start experiencing lag or out of sync sequence and media files in FPP due to other workloads running on the system consuming resources.
-
Chris

Offline johnnyspo

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 06:38:47 PM »
Thanks Chris, that's what I suspected, in which case it looks like my 32 GB is overkill.  What size is typical to use?  Looks like 8 GB is more than enough (based on lsblk output).

Looking forward to getting into it!!

Regards,
John

Online CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 173
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 08:17:44 PM »
8GB is more than enough, I do a lot of my testing with 4GB just because I have a bunch of those laying around.  They are a bit slower since they are only Class 4 or 10, but the size is more than enough.  When buying new ones, I normally only buy 8GB since I keep my sequences and media on USB sticks.