Author Topic: Do I Need A Static IP Address  (Read 174 times)

Offline mmais68569

• Kudos: 0
Do I Need A Static IP Address
« on: January 11, 2018, 05:14:13 PM »
Configuring my first Pi3 & wonder if I need a Static IP address? I have been watching a youtube video on the FPP setup & the person used a DCHP address & said he had no problem. Is there a youtube video specific to FPP & Pi3 setup of static address? Being new I need all the help I can get.
Thanks MIke

Offline k6ccc

• Kudos: 2
    • Newburgh Lights
Re: Do I Need A Static IP Address
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 05:24:38 PM »
Going to depend on how you are going to use it.  If you are going to use it in bridge mode, you pretty well need to have a static IP.  Otherwise, likely not.

Jim

Offline dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 31
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 05:35:51 PM »
Configuring my first Pi3 & wonder if I need a Static IP address? I have been watching a youtube video on the FPP setup & the person used a DCHP address & said he had no problem. Is there a youtube video specific to FPP & Pi3 setup of static address? Being new I need all the help I can get.
Thanks MIke

No.  DHCP is fine as long as you have a decent router/gateway/DHCP server that can resolve host names.   I don't use static IP's on any of my FPP things (Pi, BBB's, etc..) as they can all be resolved via hostnames which are WAY easier to remember.  :)

And bridge mode doesn't require static IP's either.  Hostnames are perfectly usable, at least from xLights.
Dan Kulp

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 05:39:23 PM »
my plan is to use the Pi to run my show this year. It will be the only one I plan to use.
Mike

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 45
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 05:53:45 PM »
You really only need a static address on the Ethernet interface if you are going to use it as a separate show network and will be using WIFI to connect the PI to your home network.

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 06:54:27 AM »
Below is a picture of what I would like to do & wonder if I need a static address.
Load my xLight sequences & MP3's in the Pi player, connect Pi to netgear switch with Ethernet cable & then connect cables to Netgear switch to send to my controllers.
Mike

Online JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 89
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 07:12:14 AM »
I use Static addresses for my FPP Remotes. On the Multisync page of the Master, it lists the Remotes and their IP addresses. If they were to change after a reboot, the FPP Master would not have them "checked" so would not send them Sync info.

But - if you used AllRemotes, it wouldn't matter if they did change. They recently fixed the biggest drawback of AllRemotes that didn't let you use the "Sync" function.